Carte Vitale

Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

briand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carte Vitale

HI, I need some good advice. It concerns my Dad, who is 88 and want to move to France and live with my brother as his wife recently died.

He currently gets his old age pension and an attendance allowance, plus of course medical care here in the UK.

What we need to know is firstly will his attendance allowance, worth about 200 pounds a month continued to be paid. Weve contacted a department called the Portability Section, but they are very vague about things and not much help.

Secondly, weve heard about the Carte Vitale, which I think he can apply for, but were not sure what benefits this will give him.

Any advice greatfully received

Brian
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:24 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Carte Vitale

Originally Posted by briand
HI, I need some good advice. It concerns my Dad, who is 88 and want to move to France and live with my brother as his wife recently died.

He currently gets his old age pension and an attendance allowance, plus of course medical care here in the UK.

What we need to know is firstly will his attendance allowance, worth about 200 pounds a month continued to be paid. Weve contacted a department called the Portability Section, but they are very vague about things and not much help.

Secondly, weve heard about the Carte Vitale, which I think he can apply for, but were not sure what benefits this will give him.

Any advice greatfully received

Brian
Hi,
Your Dad will have to apply for the Carte Vitale if he intends to stay in France, in order to be reimbursed the same percentage of consultations and medicines that French people get, and he should also look into the question of a top-up Insurance (Mutuelle) for reimbursement of the remainder, although his age may limit possibilities. I'm not sure what an Attendance Allowance is, but an 88 year old neighbour of mine (British) has to pay for any nursing care at home (and is reimbursed 70% since she hasn't got a Mutuelle).
Certain illnesses (cancer, heart, diabetes....) are covered 100% by the French Social Security.
Maybe your brother could make enquiries about your Dad's rights at his local CPAM office?

Btw, you might get more response if you post on the France forum above!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:55 am
Just Joined

briand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Carte Vitale

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi,
Your Dad will have to apply for the Carte Vitale if he intends to stay in France, in order to be reimbursed the same percentage of consultations and medicines that French people get, and he should also look into the question of a top-up Insurance (Mutuelle) for reimbursement of the remainder, although his age may limit possibilities. I'm not sure what an Attendance Allowance is, but an 88 year old neighbour of mine (British) has to pay for any nursing care at home (and is reimbursed 70% since she hasn't got a Mutuelle).
Certain illnesses (cancer, heart, diabetes....) are covered 100% by the French Social Security.
Maybe your brother could make enquiries about your Dad's rights at his local CPAM office?

Btw, you might get more response if you post on the France forum above!
OK, thanks a lot,
rgs

Brian