Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Carte Sejour - French Tax history required for application?

Carte Sejour - French Tax history required for application?

Old Feb 15th 2019, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

bicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carte Sejour - French Tax history required for application?

Hi

Just wondering what exact tax requirements are needed for applying for a successful Carte Sejour in France?
And anything else for that matter...

In case of a NO deal, it appears it will be an essential requirement if you wish to remain in France.
Of which I don't have.
Any thoughts much appreciated

Old Feb 16th 2019, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carte Sejour - French Tax history required for application?

You'll find everything you need HERE. Just be prepared for a lot of paperwork.
On the tax requirements for myself it read, Justificatifs de ressources ou pension, plus declaration d'impots x5 originaux + copies (proof of resources or pension, plus last 5 original tax returns + copies).
It looks as if you are already in France, so I'd advise that you go along to the Prefecture, and ask precisely what documents they require for a titre de sejour. The requirements do change from Pref to Pref. Mine particularly requested a valid birth and marriage certificate, and both translated. These I provided, only to learn that the tanslations were not then necessary.

I think we've all heard from time to time of a few who have been living 'under the radar' for years in France. And that got me thinking that it could be very difficult if not impossible for them - with the onslaught of Brexit - to apply and to actually procure a titre de sejour.

Generally any official documents which are in English, are requested to be translated into French, and with an official translators stamp. For myself (passport etc) the cost was approx 40 euros a copy.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Feb 16th 2019 at 8:44 am.
Old Feb 16th 2019, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Tweedie has given you all you need about getting a cds.
However, if as your post suggests you're in France but not paying taxes here, then presumably you are here as a visitor, ie you live and pay taxes in the UK or another country and you make visits to France. Visitors don't need a carte de séjour. At present as an EU citizen you are allowed to visit France for up to 3 months, and that is the same for a non EU citizen so in theory nothing will change, although in practice France doesn't police how long EU citizens stay here and for non EU citizens it does. Also, non EU citizens are limited to an additional restriction of 90 days out of 180 in the Schengen zone, which obviously doesn't apply to EU citizens. But essentially, Brits will still be allowed to visit France for up to 3 months as they are now, and with a bit of luck there won't be any or much extra paperwork.
Old Feb 16th 2019, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I am a bit confused.
I think that you previously posted that you were running a chalet rental business.
Did you not have to file tax returns for that?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Exprop is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also applying for a carte de sejour. I live here in France but have only been here on a permanent basis (and therefore tax resident) since July 2018. I have yet to file a French tax return.

Can anyone advise me on what the prefecture are likely to require in terms of proof of income?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exprop
I am also applying for a carte de sejour. I live here in France but have only been here on a permanent basis (and therefore tax resident) since July 2018. I have yet to file a French tax return.

Can anyone advise me on what the prefecture are likely to require in terms of proof of income?
I believe you'll find your requirement HERE and then 'Pieces a fournir'.
However prefectures tend to have their own variations on a given standard. Best to check with them first. You'll have to make an appointment for this info, which should be given within a week or two. However the appointment they will then set for you to present your completed dossier could well be anything up to 6 months or more away depending in which department you're located.
When you've made these appointments, pls give some feedback as it will be helpful for others to know wishing to go the same route.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Feb 20th 2019 at 9:45 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Well where does your income come from? Could be payslips, business accounts, URSSAF declarations, proof of rental / investment income, pension statements, depending on your status. They need to know how much income you have, and where it comes from, ie secure and legitmate sources.
As said, have a look at the government website to see what the general requirements are for each status, and also your own prefecture's website to see if that says what their specific requirements are. IOfficially, proof can be "apporté par tout moyen" so in theory the prefecture can't be too specific, but at the end of the day it is up to the prefecture to decide what it accepts so in practice it saves everyone's time if you stick as close as you can to their list of requirements for your particular status.
At my prefecture, enquiries are dealt with on a first come first service basis during certain timeslots, and in theory appointments be booked online but in practice they can't because when you try you get a message saying there are no vacant slots in the foreseeable future. Some prefectures have started applications by post. But I do wonder whether at this stage it mightn't make more sense to wait until the Brexit dust has settled and then apply under the new procedures, which will likely be designed to be more streamlined in order to process large numbers of applications quickly.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Exprop is an unknown quantity at this point

My income comes from a mix of pensions, rented property and investments - all currently in the UK and paid in sterling. Obviously I have all the documentation and can show my UK bank statements which I hope will be satisfactory. I also have a French bank account but only top that up as required so it does not show a regular income.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK so if your status is "inactif", this is the government website link
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2651
and it says
"Conditions de séjour
En tant qu'inactif ou retraité, vous devez :
  • disposer d'une assurance maladie-maternité,
  • et avoir des ressources suffisantes pour ne pas devenir une charge dans le système d'assistance sociale français.
Votre droit au séjour sur ces 5 années peut être prouvé par tout moyen (par exemple concernant vos ressources : relevés bancaires)."

They will probably want to see the £ figures converted into € in each case.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 9:29 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be filling in your first Déclaration des Revenus this Spring and will have to gather all the financial documents in any case, whatever the Préfecture requires. As said, you'll have to convert all your UK income into euros, which is a head-ache, as AFAIK the different exchange rates as at the various dates of receipt must be used. It may be worthwhile in the long run to get your regular Pensions, for example, transferred directly into your French Bank, since the sums arrive in euros.
Presumably you've organised your compulsory "assurance-maladie..." since July 2018 (Private or French PUMa)?
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

FWIW I always used to use this site for conversions - just enter the amount and the date, and read off the amount in euros.
https://www.x-rates.com/historical/?from=GBP&amount=1&date=2018-02-22
I see it's saying 1,13 today whereas other sources are quoting 1,15 - I have no idea if it reflected the actual rate I got, but it was never queried.
(EDIT - the date would of course be the date each payment hit your UK bank account)

Last edited by EuroTrash; Feb 22nd 2019 at 9:47 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

So is now the time to finally start the Carte Sejour process?
been to busy to organise anything recently, but upon seeing the recent news, applying for residency now seems almost certain, as it did anyway!

AND Stupidly, no >>assurance-maladie
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 7:12 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bicks
So is now the time to finally start the Carte Sejour process?
been to busy to organise anything recently, but upon seeing the recent news, applying for residency now seems almost certain, as it did anyway!

AND Stupidly, no >>assurance-maladie
What has your status been up to now? I see from your profile that you're a freelance IT and chalet manager. Quite apart from the "tax history", haven't you had healthcare coverage up to the present? In any case, for an official Carte to be issued, you need to prove that you've been covered for healthcare either by the French System or private insurance for all that time.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Procuring a carte de sejour certainly gives some feeling of security in this whole Brexit farce. But as the pleasant, smiling young lady mentioned to me at my dossier handing-in session, although it's issued as a long term document (mine mentions valid for sejour permanent Jan 2029/toutes activites professionnelles) in an eventual no-deal scenario one is highly advised to apply for French citizenship, and with an already issued CdS it's a little like an open door - the procedure being much simplified.
For one reason or another - which I won't dwell on here, taking out French citizenship was something I never, ever planned - despite having lived here for many years. That's all changed, and is highly likely to be my next move over the coming months. My deer-stalker and bowler hats will go up on LeBonCoin. I've enjoyed escargots and fois gras for years, but must now perfect the 'Allo 'allo accent, start practising to spit straight, wear a beret without looking too stupid, and urinate accurately & with dignity on street corners.......
As George Clooney might say in my shoes, "Quoi d'autre?"

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Apr 3rd 2019 at 7:58 am.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Very good Quoi d'autre!

thanks for the CdS info, as I've had a variety of different UK and French contracts over the years here, not sure how exactly my Tax will be calculated for Carte Sejour tax residency. As it is an essential requirement, wondering how else I can help the process for the Carte Sejour application , even with the occasional french contract but still a UK citizen.
Is 5 years of paying tax in France the absolute minimum to have a successful french citizenship application, before applying for residency?
Quoi d'autre? 😅

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Procuring a carte de sejour certainly gives some feeling of security in this whole Brexit farce. But as the pleasant, smiling young lady mentioned to me at my dossier handing-in session, although it's issued as a long term document (mine mentions valid for sejour permanent Jan 2029/toutes activites professionnelles) in an eventual no-deal scenario one is highly advised to apply for French citizenship, and with an already issued CdS it's a little like an open door - the procedure being much simplified.
For one reason or another - which I won't dwell on here, taking out French citizenship was something I never, ever planned - despite having lived here for many years. That's all changed, and is highly likely to be my next move over the coming months. My deer-stalker and bowler hats will go up on LeBonCoin. I've enjoyed escargots and fois gras for years, but must now perfect the 'Allo 'allo accent, start practising to spit straight, wear a beret without looking too stupid, and urinate accurately & with dignity on street corners.......
As George Clooney might say in my shoes, "Quoi d'autre?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.