Career Change

Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Machin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Career Change

Hi All,

I've been working in Sales & Marketing for the last 7 years but I'm looking for a change - since moving to France I've had to continue on this path as it's hard enough getting any work when my French is far from fluent... Anyway - I've had enough of it but I'm not sure how to make the change. Have any of you done something similar in your move out here? Have you got any advice?

Thanks

Mark
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Career Change

Originally Posted by Machin
Hi All,

I've been working in Sales & Marketing for the last 7 years but I'm looking for a change - since moving to France I've had to continue on this path as it's hard enough getting any work when my French is far from fluent... Anyway - I've had enough of it but I'm not sure how to make the change. Have any of you done something similar in your move out here? Have you got any advice?

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark,
I think this is probably something many of us have been through at some stage or other. I left nursing a few times over the years to do other things, although I always seem to come back to it. My OH was a university lecturer for many years before moving to France and working in industry - now that was a shock to his system
It's probably going to be harder for you, living in another country and not being fluent in French yet. Do you have a family to support as well? It's probably easier if you are single and don't have any responsibilties.
I think as well, try to make sure you have enough funds behind you to fall back on whilst you try something else.
Would your company consider letting you take sabbatical leave for 6 months?
I can imagine how stressful and tiring working in sales and marketing is, always having to meet targets, make more sales etc.
Do you have a hobby you enjoy? Could you turn that into employment?
Seasonal work also comes to mind.
Sure the others will be along soon to give you more help and suggestions.
Good luck though with what ever you decide to do
Old Jul 25th 2008, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Career Change

Hi Mark,

If you have been employed in France a couple of years then you may qualify for the FONGECIF. You may not know it but, your employer pays into a "further education" fund and you have the right to use it.
What that means is that you can go on a course, ie go to college to learn to be a builder, and your course is paid for you by your employer. You also continue to recieve the same basic salary you are paid and your contract is suspended until your course is finished. You then decide wether to leave your job or to stay on.
The process, however, is not always simple. First, you have to be accepted by the FONGESCIF jury, which means you writing a letter explaining why you wish to have a career change etc, along with a couple of interviews. This may sound a pain but it really is worth it once you are accepted.

You then have to give notice to your employer, (who may not be too happy about this!), and he has the right to refuse to let you go (see the terms and conditions of FONGECIF) but in theory he can only refuse your application once.

As I said employers aren't over keen on their staff doing this and it might be worth while talking to your boss so that he is at least in the picture. If you tell him/her out of the blue they may make it more difficult for you but as I said they can only refuse once.

I did it myself quite a few years ago. I arrived in France as a chef - got bored with that and went on a plumbing course. A few years down the line I opened my buisness and have never looked back since!!