Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Car: transfer to french reg

Car: transfer to french reg

Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Car: transfer to french reg

Originally Posted by basquen33
Don't mean to pick holes in all your replies, but this is another innaccuracy.
- If you own a car and move departement then then the prefecture will issue a new carte grise free of charge.
- I assume you meant that you bought a secondhand French car and and had to pay just over 200 euros for the new carte grise. If the car was previously registered in another departement then you would have had to change the number plates (only 20-30 euros for the pair/fitted). This one off fee seems reasonable when you consider the current price of annual roadtax in the UK plus the annual MOT certificate as opposed to every 2 yrs for a CT in France....

The system is set to change in 2008 when cars will start to be issued with a permanent registration number.....

ys was a bad on me!! true

however was itallian to french.......... to complicate more
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by basquen33
You local VW dealer will almost certainly not be able to help so here are three possibilities:
-If the car was built between 1990 &1998, download this form from the DRIRE, send off to local DRIRE with th V5C + cheque for 67,38 euros.
In return you well receive an attestation d'identité (together with your V5C)
-If the car is post 1998 then you will have to contact VW-AUDISEAT-SKODA Service d'homologation, France: 03 23 73 80 80. They will (send you a form which you need to complete and return with a photocopy of the UK registration document + a cheque for about 100 -150 euros (depends on manufacturer).
In return you will receive a european certificate of conformity
-If pre 1990 you will have to contact VW (same proceedure as above) but they will issue you with an attestation d'identité rather than euro conformity

Have you spoken to the DVLA direct about this? From my experience with questions regarding export, V5C inacuracies etc they are very helpful. They obviously will not register the vehicle with a non UK address, but could you not use another family member to have the logbook transferred into their name, then 'buy' the car from them with paperwork signed by them and yourself to document the change of ownership? You can then obtain the quitus fiscale from the French tax office on the strength of this. The prefecture will accept this paperwork.

Remember a French national can cross the channel to buy a secondhand car and then reregister it in France without having a UK V5C in his name!

NO ! The thread started off with a couple of requests on how to reregister. There are no grey areas! Depending on the vehicle the process can be drawn out and problematic (Fleur/grey import) but for european models there is no grey area:
If someone decides to break the law and drive a UK plated car in France that has no roadtax, no MOT (reading between the lines?) and has been declared officially exported to the DVLA then they are running a serious risk of having their insurance policy delaclared nullified in the event of a major claim for non-disclosure of a material fact (i.e I'm illegally running a car that is not fit for use on the road)

Yes you DO. Please refer to my earlier posting. If you are resident in France you are not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle (European legislation). There is a tolerance of 2 weeks (for normal import) or 4 months (single type approval) to complete the paperwork. If the process is not completed within these time limits then the vehicle should not be used on the road. There is no legal allowance made because 'I'm trying to get it through' beyond these limits. If you are non resident in France then you can drive ise you UK plated, road legal car in France for a period of up to 6 months in every 12. What you certainly cannot do is de-register in the UK, and never register in France!!
dvla direct?? you tried??? better chance to get a reply from the talkiing clock!!!!!!!!

not picking you to bits at all. no one in UK i know still lives ! so no chance . dvlc want FINES paid too..... fines of a dead person paid then they bother......... last letter to them was 'shoving and up' and 'effing ones self' etc et cte c........ all that help NOT

still cant own car even if notaire says i do

but then after 7 months notaire has STILL to sort anything out!!!!!!!

he will be sacked next week and WILL NOT GET PAID A CENT.......... 7 efffing months and still no closer to even sorting the basics out??? sorry but not even bothered to upset french people now.......... you are useless bum suckers!!! get angry and shout and bloody well MAKE THEM WORK!!! so effed off being polite now!!!! i dont do bum licking :! ever!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

terry1956 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all, well we have just completed having our camper transfered to french,
It was painless but a bit misleading.
1st we had to get the cert from fords, to say they made the van cost 119 euros, time 2 weeks.
2nd, we had to have a gas and elec check, took 10 minuates cost 191 euros.
3rd, I had to draw a map of both the inside and outside of the camper showing all fittings etc, batterys, cooker, water tanks and size of, etc.
we also had to have the weight of the van, done by a nice man for 5 euros.
4th, we had to have the van inspected and had to remove the rear seatbelts due to a new EC reg which we could not comply with,cost 89 euros.
5th, the new plates, and log book cost 263 euros this depends on the engine size or CV of the car van etc.
6th we had a new mot placed on the van, cost 69 euros.
7th insurrance cost 244 euros for the year with breakdown cover, glass etc, this was with AXA insurrance, are french 4x4 costs 389 euros per year fully comp with 50% discount.
8th, all sorted for two years N/P. I must say it helps to build up the contect with the people face to face, it was so much easyer then trying to sort out on the phone.
All in all it was not to bad, realy. Michael
Old Sep 1st 2006, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by terry1956
hi all, well we have just completed having our camper transfered to french,
It was painless but a bit misleading.
1st we had to get the cert from fords, to say they made the van cost 119 euros, time 2 weeks.
2nd, we had to have a gas and elec check, took 10 minuates cost 191 euros.
3rd, I had to draw a map of both the inside and outside of the camper showing all fittings etc, batterys, cooker, water tanks and size of, etc.
we also had to have the weight of the van, done by a nice man for 5 euros.
4th, we had to have the van inspected and had to remove the rear seatbelts due to a new EC reg which we could not comply with,cost 89 euros.
5th, the new plates, and log book cost 263 euros this depends on the engine size or CV of the car van etc.
6th we had a new mot placed on the van, cost 69 euros.
7th insurrance cost 244 euros for the year with breakdown cover, glass etc, this was with AXA insurrance, are french 4x4 costs 389 euros per year fully comp with 50% discount.
8th, all sorted for two years N/P. I must say it helps to build up the contect with the people face to face, it was so much easyer then trying to sort out on the phone.
All in all it was not to bad, realy. Michael
you added that lot up,????

disgusting rip off
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bourgogne
you added that lot up,????

disgusting rip off
Whats a disgusting rip off, is road tax at 165 pounds a year, mot at 46 pounds a year and insurrance at 450 pounds a year, and if you had the price of diesel onto that little lot and service costs, I would go french anytime,
We have a M roadster in the UK insurrance over 1000 pounds PA, french 350 pounds for same cover. Where is the RIP OFF ???????????
michael
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Whats a disgusting rip off, is road tax at 165 pounds a year, mot at 46 pounds a year and insurrance at 450 pounds a year, and if you had the price of diesel onto that little lot and service costs, I would go french anytime,
We have a M roadster in the UK insurrance over 1000 pounds PA, french 350 pounds for same cover. Where is the RIP OFF ???????????
michael

i've been in france 6 years almost so cant translate quids now no idea what goes on there sorry. here that cost is a rip off and high......... as is the fuel costs in fact

last year fill car up 38€ now not even full 70€ thats about 100% and the UK? ps car is a small 1.3L hatch cost per 1/4 tank at 100m now about 12eeeeees :!!!!!!
the gazole was 35eees to fill now over 60!! that is the difference people here have seen !!! and no wage or anything else went up
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

hi, sorry just don,t understand you, the price of fuel does have something to do with the world demand. Maybe you should just dig a hole and climb inside.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

hi, sorry just don,t understand you, the price of fuel does have something to do with the world demand. Maybe you should just dig a hole and climb inside.
getting close to wanting to trust me
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

johnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of light

Dont bother mate. Buy a car in France its far less hassle