British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Car Rental in France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/car-rental-france-877029/)

HiF May 5th 2016 4:16 pm

Car Rental in France

I had the idea of flying to Brive or Limoges and renting a car expecting prices similar to what Ryanair offers in other South European countries such as Greece or Spain.

And what I see is tins on wheels for about £30 per day (sort of cars that elswhere are £10 per day). Is it typical of France or are there companies with reasonable cars and prices (for about £30 per day I would expect if not Ford Mondeo at least Ford Focus or similar) ?

Chatter Static May 5th 2016 4:35 pm

Re: Car Rental in France

Originally Posted by HiF (Post 11940503)
I had the idea of flying to Brive or Limoges and renting a car expecting prices similar to what Ryanair offers in other South European countries such as Greece or Spain.

And what I see is tins on wheels for about £30 per day (sort of cars that elswhere are £10 per day). Is it typical of France or are there companies with reasonable cars and prices (for about £30 per day I would expect if not Ford Mondeo at least Ford Focus or similar) ?

It's pretty normal companies have overheads France is not the stereo typical cheap place to live.

HiF May 5th 2016 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Chatter Static (Post 11940527)
It's pretty normal companies have overheads France is not the stereo typical cheap place to live.

Well, costs are higher in France than in Greece. But UK is a much higher cost country (property prices being the most significant item of expediture and being sky high in the UK) yet in the UK I would have no difficulty finding a decent car (not Mercedes S-class but, say, Ford Mondeo or somehing like that) for about £30 per day. So I find it difficult to believe it is about costs - probably more about profit and lazyness (desire to live off renting x cars rather than 5*x cars and hence trying to have a five times higher profit margin).

Shirtback May 5th 2016 6:01 pm

Cost of rental cars is related to supply & demand & market competition, rather than cost of living.

Chatter Static May 5th 2016 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by HiF (Post 11940552)
Well, costs are higher in France than in Greece. But UK is a much higher cost country (property prices being the most significant item of expediture and being sky high in the UK) yet in the UK I would have no difficulty finding a decent car (not Mercedes S-class but, say, Ford Mondeo or somehing like that) for about £30 per day. So I find it difficult to believe it is about costs - probably more about profit and lazyness (desire to live off renting x cars rather than 5*x cars and hence trying to have a five times higher profit margin).

Sell the house and stay in England, Yes the price by square foot may be higher in the UK but the price by pint for healthcare and all associated costs are way higher here. Not to mention it is all relative to salaries etc etc.

Comparing France and England is like comparing Fruit Loops and Cheerios you either enjoy it here or you don't...

grannybunz May 6th 2016 1:50 pm

Actually local car hire firms are usually cheaper than the prices demanded at airports and stations. Friends of ours managed to get an automatic Ford Focus here last year €12.00 cheaper per day than they were quoted by the main hire firms. It did mean they had to get from marseilles here but that was relatively easy by train.

Chatter Static May 6th 2016 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by grannybunz (Post 11941310)
Actually local car hire firms are usually cheaper than the prices demanded at airports and stations. Friends of ours managed to get an automatic Ford Focus here last year €12.00 cheaper per day than they were quoted by the main hire firms. It did mean they had to get from marseilles here but that was relatively easy by train.

Car's are pretty cheap from places like Super U and Intermarche although the milage tends to be quite limiting and like you say you wont get one at a Airport.