British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Car insurance NCB transfer? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/car-insurance-ncb-transfer-882232/)

JWL Aug 23rd 2016 11:35 pm

Car insurance NCB transfer?

I read something here quite a while back that it's possible to have car insurance No Claims Bonus from the ex-country transferred to France.

What documents would I need by way of NCB proof? Would a short letter/statement (translated into French) from the insurance company suffice, or do I need some certified translation of relevant sections from the current insurance document?

Is the process of having NCB accepted straightforward, assuming the necessary documents?

dmu Aug 24th 2016 6:56 am

Re: Car insurance NCB transfer?

Originally Posted by JWL (Post 12033569)
I read something here quite a while back that it's possible to have car insurance No Claims Bonus from the ex-country transferred to France.

What documents would I need by way of NCB proof? Would a short letter/statement (translated into French) from the insurance company suffice, or do I need some certified translation of relevant sections from the current insurance document?

Is the process of having NCB accepted straightforward, assuming the necessary documents?

Hi, as usual, when I haven't had personal experience, I google official sites for info.
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2655
indicates, concerning French cars and French Insurance, that the Bonus-Malus coefficient is retained when changing cars/insurance company.
But as you're talking of translating documents, this may not apply to UK NCB. If no one else can advise, your British Insurance Agent will know whether international transfers exist.

Novocastrian Aug 24th 2016 6:58 am

Originally Posted by JWL (Post 12033569)

I just asked my Canadian insurance company for a letter (in English) on company letterhead stating how long I'd been with them and showing any claims.

It was accepted without hesitation in France (and a second such letter was later also accepted in the UK).

dmu Aug 24th 2016 7:07 am

I just made a forum search and the question was already asked in some one else's thread earlier this year. JWL was in Japan at the time, so he should follow Novo's advice and get a letter (in English!) from his Japanese Insurance Co.

cyrian Aug 24th 2016 7:33 am

I had this problem especially because I wasn't transferring my insurance to France.
Each insurance agent I approached wanted some proof of NCB otherwise I was looking at €1000 +.
Eventually, I found my last renewal notice that stated 9+ years of NCB.
I found a small office of an agent of a regional Mutuelle who wanted my business and who worked hard to get me insured.
Check your policy because it is likely that breakdown insurance is included.

JWL Aug 24th 2016 9:58 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12033732)
Hi, as usual, when I haven't had personal experience, I google official sites for info.
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2655
indicates, concerning French cars and French Insurance, that the Bonus-Malus coefficient is retained when changing cars/insurance company.
But as you're talking of translating documents, this may not apply to UK NCB. If no one else can advise, your British Insurance Agent will know whether international transfers exist.

There's probably a reply in there somewhere, but I'll need a few years to work it out. My eyes started to glaze over around the coefficient part.

Oh, and for me, here first, Google maybe second. Call me old fashioned..:lol:

JWL Aug 24th 2016 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12033735)
I just asked my Canadian insurance company for a letter (in English) on company letterhead stating how long I'd been with them and showing any claims.

It was accepted without hesitation in France (and a second such letter was later also accepted in the UK).

Thanks, sounds good, but unlikely to be able to get original in English. What would be acceptable to French insurer by way of translation? Certified/impressively stamped English translation from translation agency?

dmu Aug 24th 2016 10:09 am

Originally Posted by JWL (Post 12033854)
Thanks, sounds good, but unlikely to be able to get original in English. What would be acceptable to French insurer by way of translation? Certified/impressively stamped English translation from translation agency?

Why not a translation directly into French? :confused:

(Mind you, it might cost more than the value of your Bonus-Malus coefficient!!)

JWL Aug 24th 2016 11:33 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12033856)
Why not a translation directly into French? :confused:

(Mind you, it might cost more than the value of your Bonus-Malus coefficient!!)

English is always cheaper..

Novocastrian Aug 24th 2016 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by JWL (Post 12033854)

Sorry. Can't help there. Do you have a french insurance company in mind? Ask them. FWIW I used a local AXA agency.

Im_and_Er Aug 27th 2016 8:29 pm

The most recent UK renewal invitation showing the bonus in years did it for me.

It's years they really want to see not percentage because they can relate that more to the system here.