Car insurance

Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

AppleGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance

Hi again

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this or has any good ideas Ive not thought of yet.

My car is totally impractical for winter, but i can't bring myself to sell it. So I was looking at buying a cheap runaround for over the winters. My in-laws have offered to lend me one of their cars for this coming winter.

Just wondering what options I have re insurance, as its a UK car, not owned by me etc. Ideally it would have been great if I could have just swapped my cover over to the borrowed car; but then mine wouldn;t be covered if it got stolen etc, plus mine is still on uk plate, so even though i'll be sorn'ing it, i think i'd get fined.

I dont really want to go on mum in laws policy as a named driver. Because I already feel shes done enough just lending me the car; dont want her having to alter insurance etc.

Just wondering if there are any other options anyone can think of?

Thank uuuuu
Old Aug 6th 2011, 10:23 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car insurance

Originally Posted by AppleGirl
Hi again

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this or has any good ideas Ive not thought of yet.

My car is totally impractical for winter, but i can't bring myself to sell it. So I was looking at buying a cheap runaround for over the winters. My in-laws have offered to lend me one of their cars for this coming winter.

Just wondering what options I have re insurance, as its a UK car, not owned by me etc. Ideally it would have been great if I could have just swapped my cover over to the borrowed car; but then mine wouldn;t be covered if it got stolen etc, plus mine is still on uk plate, so even though i'll be sorn'ing it, i think i'd get fined.

I dont really want to go on mum in laws policy as a named driver. Because I already feel shes done enough just lending me the car; dont want her having to alter insurance etc.

Just wondering if there are any other options anyone can think of?

Thank uuuuu
For you to insure it in France, The Log book/Carte Grise has to be in your name.

If it is UK plated, A Sorn'ed car could cost you a LOT of money, I know one person had to pay personally 15k because Axa/France refused to pay out on a British plated sorn'ed car that was involved in a RTC/A with a French car.

French insurers are aware of what documents to ask for, For a UK vehicle if it is involved in any form of accident outside of the UK.

Once your car is Sorn'ed in the UK it is no longer road legal anywhere in europe.

The gendarmes are typically aware of the loop hole.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Aug 6th 2011 at 10:33 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:44 am
Just Joined

AppleGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car insurance

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
For you to insure it in France, The Log book/Carte Grise has to be in your name.

If it is UK plated, A Sorn'ed car could cost you a LOT of money, I know one person had to pay personally 15k because Axa/France refused to pay out on a British plated sorn'ed car that was involved in a RTC/A with a French car.

French insurers are aware of what documents to ask for, For a UK vehicle if it is involved in any form of accident outside of the UK.

Once your car is Sorn'ed in the UK it is no longer road legal anywhere in europe.

The gendarmes are typically aware of the loop hole.
Hi

Thanks for replying

My car is uk car, taxed, full insured with European cover.
It's totally impractical for when the snow comes, so I will SORN it and stick it in the garage Nov to April and it won't move. I will keep my uk insurance on while it is SORN, then it's covered if it gets stolen.
I wouldn't risk driving a SORN car.

I'm going to ring my insurance co tomorrow and see if they will do a second policy for me and hopefully they will take into account my no claims bonus off my car.

Thanks again for the info