Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Car Assurance Regulations

Car Assurance Regulations

Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:27 pm
Robert

Kontiki is on a distinguished road
Question Car Assurance Regulations

Daft really have been here a long time and did not know until today that it is illegal not have your car insured even if it is off the road, because in case anyone should steal it, you are responsible for any claims. This opens a point do you loose your no claims bonus if this does happen ?

Second point found this article in another forum:

Car insurance for a second car in France
One option which you may consider is that of keeping a second car in France for use when you are in the country. This is feasible, but you must understand that the legal requirement for insuring such a vehicle is different from the requirement in Britain. In the UK, once you have filled in a SORN form you can legally withdraw insurance payments until such time as you wish to re-use the car. In France, although you must notify your insurer that your car is off the road, as in the UK, you are legally bound to maintain third party insurance on the vehicle at all times.

Now I was under impression that the SORN notice meant that a car was off road, ok, so if this car is stolen is the assurance still valid when it goes on the road, also if this car is off the road without a MOT does this not also mean that the car's assurance is no longer valid, because I don't see the point in getting a SORN unless one does not want to pay RFL, which whilst the French police are not bothered, it is a requirement I thought for assurance purposes.

I may indeed have my wires crossed but I have always understood that a vehicle on the road for insurance purpose's must be legal.