cant decide

Old Aug 3rd 2014, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of
Default Re: cant decide

sorry, I wasn't being clear, I mean the Daylight during Winter Days is Three hours longer (just like in Canada, Swedish Winter Days would put most people in the Loony bin)
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 11:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder
sorry, I wasn't being clear, I mean the Daylight during Winter Days is Three hours longer (just like in Canada, Swedish Winter Days would put most people in the Loony bin)
Not so. Even Montréal is fractionally further south than Angouleme for example, while Toronto is even further more so.

While certainly frozen, the inhabited bits of Canada are not very far north.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

It strikes me that in these parts you might do ok with the sort of enterprise you are considering. There is a very strong history of antique dealers, brocanters and loads of ex-pats of all nationalities who have bought older houses and are occupied in restoring and furnishing them - yes even in today's tougher times.

Downside would be finding and affording premises.

There is an antiques/brocante event every weekend in this area and regular ones in certain towns every week. Look up Isle sur la Sourgue for example.

We had 6 antique chairs that needed restoring last year and it took us ages to find someone who was able to do it in the time scale in which we needed them.

Good luck anyway. If you do go for it nearby get in touch. I would be a potential customer.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not so. Even Montréal is fractionally further south than Angouleme for example, while Toronto is even further more so.

While certainly frozen, the inhabited bits of Canada are not very far north.
Novo, mate, are impugning my geographical nouseness? I was amazed to discover indeed that you are right. And here was me spending 40-odd years in the chasm of doom and thinking, ´well, at least the Canucks have got it just as bad as we have´. But where I lived, in Southern Sweden mark you, around Christmas Time the sun rose balefully at about 9.30 and sank heavily out of sight at around 4 pm - 6 and a half hours of Daylight. Foller that.
Blackie
Old Aug 5th 2014, 9:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Novo, mate, are impugning my geographical nouseness? I was amazed to discover indeed that you are right. And here was me spending 40-odd years in the chasm of doom and thinking, ´well, at least the Canucks have got it just as bad as we have´. But where I lived, in Southern Sweden mark you, around Christmas Time the sun rose balefully at about 9.30 and sank heavily out of sight at around 4 pm - 6 and a half hours of Daylight. Foller that.
Blackie
A bit like Newcastle, but not Montréal or Toronto (or for that matter Calvados).

It's all to do with the distance from the ocean in a west-east sense (in the northern hemisphere) in terms of temperature extremes in both winter and summer, but the length of winter days only depends on latitude.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Aug 5th 2014 at 9:22 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

maddie1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grannybunz
Hi

It strikes me that in these parts you might do ok with the sort of enterprise you are considering. There is a very strong history of antique dealers, brocanters and loads of ex-pats of all nationalities who have bought older houses and are occupied in restoring and furnishing them - yes even in today's tougher times.

Downside would be finding and affording premises.

There is an antiques/brocante event every weekend in this area and regular ones in certain towns every week. Look up Isle sur la Sourgue for example.

We had 6 antique chairs that needed restoring last year and it took us ages to find someone who was able to do it in the time scale in which we needed them.

Good luck anyway. If you do go for it nearby get in touch. I would be a potential customer.
That is fantastic news , if I do end up there you will get great service you have my word )
Old Aug 7th 2014, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MillieF
France really is suffering Maddie, French families in general have cut back on non essential services, the unemployment situation is dire. It isn't an ideal time to start a business, as others on here have mentioned, also, you really do need to have a reasonable standard of French if you want to start an enterprise in France. If you are living your life via the secondhand interpretation of your partner this will become frustrating for you both.

Why don't you move somewhere else in Canada? There are lots of start up incentives for small businesses, and I would think a small upholstery business would do rather well in some parts...a bit chic and different, just the sort of thing the Canadians like to support

I cannot but agree on the weather. No bad weather anywhere in Europe could ever be compared to any winter day in Eastern Canada. Until the snow banks are above your head, and you don't know where else to shovel the snow to, is not fun.

You at least have good options I do hope things work well for you...good luck!
Thank you for you're input , I'm starting to think I need to go home to England or move to Toronto , but I am sooooooooooooo sick of winters here ,its doing my head in .
Old Aug 8th 2014, 9:16 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maddie1959
Thank you for you're input , I'm starting to think I need to go home to England or move to Toronto , but I am sooooooooooooo sick of winters here ,its doing my head in .
I've only been here two years, but I won't be able to stick the winters for the amount of time you have woman, give yourself a pat on the back you're a marvel as soon as or son finishes secondary school (8 years) we will move further West, probably near Victoria, where my husband is from.

We were in France permanently for 15 years, and I loved many aspects of it, particularly the winters!

Toronto's weather isn't great is it Maddie? I may be slightly more clement than where you are but no great shakes.

Do you still have family or anyone in the UK?
Old Aug 8th 2014, 9:21 am
Born again atheist

Toronto's weather isn't great is it Maddie? I may be slightly more clement than where you are but no great shakes.
Toronto's weather most certainly isn't great, but it has (generally speaking) considerably less snow accumulation and slightly fewer terrifying cold spells than Montréal. That said, the latter is true of almost any other inhabited place in the world.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

I've only been here two years, but I won't be able to stick the winters for the amount of time you have woman, give yourself a pat on the back you're a marvel as soon as or son finishes secondary school (8 years) we will move further West, probably near Victoria, where my husband is from.

We were in France permanently for 15 years, and I loved many aspects of it, particularly the winters!

Do you still have family or anyone in the UK?
As the person below said Toronto is still cold ( ut much less snow I think .

As for England my mum , brother and niece are in or around Hull .
But the weather in the north is crap .

I would be interested in the south but as it is expensive to live ,I'm worried about getting a job in my field that pays enough to live there . Especially as i did my collage and work experiences in Canada .
Looking to see if I can find an house sit assignment which would give me time to figure out were I want to live .
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Hi Maddie,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am also thinking about exploring France as well as Spain or Italy. I lasted less than 6 months in Toronto when I immigrated.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maria_747
Hi Maddie,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am also thinking about exploring France as well as Spain or Italy. I lasted less than 6 months in Toronto when I immigrated.
)

Were are you now ?
Old Aug 11th 2014, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Hi maddie,
I am back in London now, I have explained my situation in another thread.
I am kind of leaning towards the warmer parts of Southern France as the destination to move to now but need to explore much more.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Newcastle upon Tyne in May and I was shocked at how good the weather was.

The climate is changing for sure.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Ras0888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by babyposer
I was in Newcastle upon Tyne in May and I was shocked at how good the weather was.

The climate is changing for sure.
Hi, I live in the north of England and we are shocked at the weather this year too, its not normal and won't last. We seem to have 1-2 decent summers out of 10 and you got lucky with the 2nd one! Its already gone cooler and showery

Just wanted to add to maddie, my husband and I are moving to SW France later this year and I want to buy traditional French furniture so will be looking around for the kind of business you want to start. Not sure how much demand there is but I'd say Brits love decorating and any form of retail therapy. Maybe in a region that is popular with British expats would be good? Just a thought...

Regards,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.