cant decide

Old Jul 30th 2014, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

maddie1959 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cant decide

Hello new to sight so please be patient trying to figure it out .Mmm

I am in the process of deciding if I'm going to stay in Canada and just change cities . or after 34 years move home to England or move to France
(french is weak )

any insight on pros and cons would be much appreciated .
cant decide , as don't have much to base my choices on.

))
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Nectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really nice
Default Re: cant decide

There's a lot of postings here from people wondering if to make the move to France and the same considerations always apply: what will you do for work? Non-French speakers are at the end of the queue for any work that might be available. Where will your income be from? You probably won't be eligible for healthcare so will have to pay for it, etc.

I'm more interested in what prompts your move generally ... dissatisfaction with where you live in Canada, since you're considering staying there but moving towns?

I think you will have to tell us more in order to get an informed response - are you working? Retired? Family coming with you, school age kids? The more you say, the more people can advise.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nectarine
There's a lot of postings here from people wondering if to make the move to France and the same considerations always apply: what will you do for work? Non-French speakers are at the end of the queue for any work that might be available. Where will your income be from? You probably won't be eligible for healthcare so will have to pay for it, etc.
+1
France is still in the middle of the economic crisis in Europe and isn't likely to get out of it under the present Government. Unemployment is continuously increasing and, as mentioned, priority for any jobs going is given to (bilingual) French candidates. Not to mention the expense of taking out private healthcare insurance. Sorry to be blunt, but France isn't the place to come to if you haven't got a job lined up, and don't speak French well.
Fore-warned is fore-armed. Good luck with your decision
Old Jul 30th 2014, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

+ another 1
For anybody who is not fully committed to a move to France, I don't think now is the time to do it. You need either a very deep pit of savings to live off if you're an early retiree, or a strong motivation plus good language skills to get your head round all the rules and jump through all the hoops if you hope to work here.
Beyond that, frankly, without knowing anything at all about what your personal preferences or your priorities are or what you're looking to achieve, it's very hard to have any opinion on where you're most likely to achieve it.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nectarine

I'm more interested in what prompts your move generally ... dissatisfaction with where you live in Canada, since you're considering staying there but moving towns?

I think you will have to tell us more in order to get an informed response - are you working? Retired? Family coming with you, school age kids? The more you say, the more people can advise.
Well its simple really after been here 34 years, I realize im no longer happy here just going though the motions .

I work with children with behavior/ social problems and their families.
I love what I do but im no longer satisfied with the system ,plus the unpredictability of my work , I never know from year to year if I have a job or how long the contract will be .

THE WINTERS OH GOD .are so long and so cold, I find myself going from work to home .very little social life .7 months is a long time and does not do my peace of mind any good ,its got to the point I hate it .

I am single ,unfortunately couldn't have children ,and no family in Canada

The politics here in Montreal are becoming a real issues .
when I was younger Montreal was a great city but its changed and so have I.

As for France ,well my ex whom I am good friends with is from France ,he also is thinking of returning to France.
He is a artisan in upholstery, restoration and buying selling antiques ,all of which I love .
He asked if I want to go with him and look at opening a business there .
we can both last for a while maybe 3 months or so without working but worried there is not a need ,demand for that type of business anymore.

I like the though of France, plus very close to England if it doesn't work out.
As I have an EU passport I was told I will get assistance there and could go to school for French .
Old Jul 30th 2014, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

France is not top of most people's list if job/business security is a priority.
Nor if user-friendly systems, political harmony and a strong, popular government are anywhere on their list (many people have real issues with Hollande and his desperate and crazy ideas on how to squeeze more tax revenue out of people, you can't even call them policies really)
Nor if they're looking for a buzzing year-round social life, outside of Paris and the big towns - but I guess if you're looking at starting a business you would be heading for a town.
Not sure what assistance EU passport holders can expect to get? Most Brits don't get any when we first land, you're expected to have paid in before you can start taking out.
Allowing 3 months before you find work or build up a business from scratch to make enough profit to pay the bills, sounds extremely optimistic to me.

IMHO you really need to want to be in France to start a business there. You'll end up investing a lot of money in the country by way of business charges and social security contributions, and if you don't like the place enough to invest heavily in it you risk getting bitter and disillusioned quite fast, and wondering why you're not in the UK where you'd get to keep a lot more of the profits in your own pocket. Instead of handing it over to the state to be used for the Greater Good, i.e. to pay the vast and growing army of public servants that France supports at the expense of private enterprise.

But if your husband feels French enough to be happy to do that, and you want to be with him, I guess you have to give it a go. The issues I mentioned won't matter if you know in your own mind want to be in France. They only matter if you're comparing France to other places.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mmmm
hes my ex , but were still good friends and both not happy with life in Montreal any more, thus looking at doing something together . The issues you mentioned are all his concerns and a big part of why he hasn't returned up to now.
we were looking at the Toulouse area thinking a small local business in upholstery restoration etc .
Old Jul 30th 2014, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
you risk getting bitter and disillusioned quite fast, and wondering why you're not in the UK where you'd get to keep a lot more of the profits in your own pocket. Instead of handing it over to the state to be used for the Greater Good, i.e. to pay the vast and growing army of public servants that France supports at the expense of private enterprise.
I couldn't have put it better myself

I used to be set up in business but gave up the ghost as its just so demoralizing. The business was doing well, but I had just had enough. Enough of the crazy social charges, the couldn't give a damn attitudes of civil servants/banks & chasing after money that clients wouldn't pay, which happens more than you would think and these bad payers seem to be protected in France. If you're lucky enough to get your money one day it wont be without a long haul AND lots of expense.

I now work with another guy who wanted to shut up shop too, but since I've been with him, he has seemed to have put the idea on the back burner. He's in two minds and actually wants to go to Quebec but after what you say I'm not sure he'll stay there long lol. But from what he's told me, it's a lot easier to run a business in Canada than in here in France, so don't come over with the idea that it'll be pretty much the same as over there - it isn't.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by le plumber

I used to be set up in business but gave up the ghost as its just so demoralizing. The business was doing well, but I had just had enough. Enough of the crazy social charges, the couldn't give a damn attitudes of civil servants/banks & chasing after money that clients wouldn't pay, which happens more than you would think and these bad payers seem to be protected in France. If you're lucky enough to get your money one day it wont be without a long haul AND lots of expense.

I now work with another guy who wanted to shut up shop too, but since I've been with him, he has seemed to have put the idea on the back burner. He's in two minds and actually wants to go to Quebec but after what you say I'm not sure he'll stay there long lol. But from what he's told me, it's a lot easier to run a business in Canada than in here in France, so don't come over with the idea that it'll be pretty much the same as over there - it isn't.
oh my
so hard to know what to do , From what you are saying its seems Quebec as all the same issues as there . the grass is not greener here .
I thought if life is not going to be easy ,at least in France you have better weather , culture , food and the rest of Europe at your doorstep .

all that being said it want help if cant get any work , how is the Antique upholstery/ restoration demand anybody know .
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maddie1959
oh my
so hard to know what to do , From what you are saying its seems Quebec as all the same issues as there . the grass is not greener here .
I thought if life is not going to be easy ,at least in France you have better weather , culture , food and the rest of Europe at your doorstep .

all that being said it want help if cant get any work , how is the Antique upholstery/ restoration demand anybody know .

tell your friend it is no longer easy in Quebec a lot of the people from France are returning or moving to another city . What business is he in ?
Hope he like the winter, it is unbearable after a while to live with 6 plus months of winter .
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maddie1959
oh my

I'm not too sure about that particular industry, but I would think that it's a pretty niche market. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work though.

I'm currently looking for another business to invest in, (don't care what, just needs to be enjoyable and make some money along the way ), but I always end up saying to myself, "but we're in France...." and I'm quickly back to the drawing board.

If it's good weather you're after don't come to the east as winters are long and summers are sweltering. You probably need to go further down south but even then I hear winters can be quite chilly down there too.....
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by le plumber

ups answered in the wrong place .
tell your friend it is no longer easy in Quebec a lot of the people from France are returning or moving to another city .were facing all the same issues . What business is he in ?
Hope he like the winter, it is unbearable after a while to live with 6 plus months of winter .
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
France is not top of most people's list if job/business security is a priority.
Nor if user-friendly systems, political harmony and a strong, popular government are anywhere on their list (many people have real issues with Hollande and his desperate and crazy ideas on how to squeeze more tax revenue out of people, you can't even call them policies really)
Nor if they're looking for a buzzing year-round social life, outside of Paris and the big towns - but I guess if you're looking at starting a business you would be heading for a town.
Not sure what assistance EU passport holders can expect to get? Most Brits don't get any when we first land, you're expected to have paid in before you can start taking out.
Allowing 3 months before you find work or build up a business from scratch to make enough profit to pay the bills, sounds extremely optimistic to me.

IMHO you really need to want to be in France to start a business there. You'll end up investing a lot of money in the country by way of business charges and social security contributions, and if you don't like the place enough to invest heavily in it you risk getting bitter and disillusioned quite fast, and wondering why you're not in the UK where you'd get to keep a lot more of the profits in your own pocket. Instead of handing it over to the state to be used for the Greater Good, i.e. to pay the vast and growing army of public servants that France supports at the expense of private enterprise.

But if your husband feels French enough to be happy to do that, and you want to be with him, I guess you have to give it a go. The issues I mentioned won't matter if you know in your own mind want to be in France. They only matter if you're comparing France to other places.
Going home to the uk is very much in my thought process right now ,but very expensive to live in the south and don't like the weather,especally in the north where I'm from .
Christian and I did talk about him opening a antique / upholstery store in the uk as hes from France he has the contacts . everyone keeps telling me the economy is doing very bad right now.

weather my degree work experience will be accepted , if I decide to work in my field is a concern also.

SEE why im confused now LOL
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 11:25 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

France really is suffering Maddie, French families in general have cut back on non essential services, the unemployment situation is dire. It isn't an ideal time to start a business, as others on here have mentioned, also, you really do need to have a reasonable standard of French if you want to start an enterprise in France. If you are living your life via the secondhand interpretation of your partner this will become frustrating for you both.

Why don't you move somewhere else in Canada? There are lots of start up incentives for small businesses, and I would think a small upholstery business would do rather well in some parts...a bit chic and different, just the sort of thing the Canadians like to support

I cannot but agree on the weather. No bad weather anywhere in Europe could ever be compared to any winter day in Eastern Canada. Until the snow banks are above your head, and you don't know where else to shovel the snow to, is not fun.

You at least have good options I do hope things work well for you...good luck!
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi Maddie,
I had a somewhat similar situation to you, moving from Sweden to S.W.France. The climate in Sweden is similar to Canada and all I can say is this: you will be able to Count Everything by a factor of Three. Winter here is Three months shorter, the Winter Days are Three hours longer, the time when you can sit outdoors for a drink or a meal or a chat is Three months longer - paradise!
Now, my wife and I (she's Swedish and I'm English) both retired a couple of years ago, so there we differ from you and your situation, but I thought you might want some encouragement!
Go for it if you can!
Blackie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.