Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Calais to Languedoc - route help from fellow Brits needed.

Wikiposts

Calais to Languedoc - route help from fellow Brits needed.

Old May 15th 2012, 2:45 am
Just Joined

babytillysmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calais to Languedoc - route help from fellow Brits needed.

You guys really have given me some food for thought.

@ Jonkemp - Thank you for your kind offer. I sent you a pm with my email address last week and await your reply.

@ MikeJ - I've read that the Millau viaduct is spectacular but did not realise that there was a service area just before it. I definately plan to stop there and get my socks blown off !

@ Scots in Treignac - Thanks for the tips, I like the idea of stopping off in Chartres but the underground carpark is off as I will have a huge roofbox on top.

Overall I have now ruled out Paris. I know I'm being a big girls blouse but hey I am a girl !

So from Rouen should I brave the unknown through Evreux and Chatres or stick to the safety of the main motorways through Lemans and Tours ?

My concern with the Evreux and Chatres route is that the map is unclear and so far I have not been able to come up with a solid route plan. So back to you guys, the guys that have driven this route. Can anyone direct me through this ?
Old May 15th 2012, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

Coming into Rouen from Abbeville along the A28, there's a descent into Rouen with a tunnel. Take the signs for the Paris A13 (peage)
Then look out for signs to Dreux , Evreux and Louviers -the N154 is dual cariage way most of the way to Chartres.

I paked for free in the museum of Agriculture accross the railway line from Chartres station, about a 10 minute walk from the cathedral.

I put Musee Agricole , Chartes into Google Map( it came up as Le Compa) and I got reminded of how it looked.

For return Journey through Rouen , you should follow the A13 after Louviers and then look for Rouen and Calais.
Old May 16th 2012, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babytillysmum
So from Rouen should I brave the unknown through Evreux and Chatres or stick to the safety of the main motorways through Lemans and Tours ?

My concern with the Evreux and Chatres route is that the map is unclear and so far I have not been able to come up with a solid route plan. So back to you guys, the guys that have driven this route. Can anyone direct me through this ?
The motorway via Le Mans/Tours takes you quite a long way out of your way so I would plump for the Evreux/Chartres route. I have used the former when driving towards the SW France but not cut across to the A10 from it. There is a ring road round Chartres if you don't want to visit the Cathedral, although it does take 3/4 round the town to the right (West). The only snag with this N154 route is that there is quite a lot of single track carriageway and it's a favourite route for HGVs so it doesn't pay to be impatient, but it's not a major problem if you take it steady.
The centre of Chartres can be a bit tricky if you loose your way - loads of one-way streets can take you off in the wrong direction. If you do get to the cathedral ISTR there is quite a lot of parking at the front.
As I advised before - put the route in on google-maps and then zoom in for more detail on the tricky bits (I even print out the maps so my navigator has a copy) you can also use streetview to look at the signage etc. It's worth a little preparation and planning to make it all go smoothly
Old May 18th 2012, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you for all of the advice and ideas that you have given me. I definately chose the right forum to come to, you have all been so friendly and helpful, thank you so very much

Gemma xx
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road

How did it go?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Apologies for not coming back to update this sooner.

It went so, so well. I loved the whole experience and have already booked for another 2 weeks this summer. If anyone else is in the position I was in last year having never driven through France then all you need to know is in this thread, the guys here have some very sound advice.

The route I decided on was Calais / Rouen / Evreux / Dreux / Chatres / Orleans / Bourges. Wonderful overnight stay in a Novotel then just followed the A71 / A75 all the way down to the south coast. I was initially concerned about Rouen but actually flew threw as it was so well signposted.

This year I will NOT be travelling on a Saturday as our second day from Bourges to the coast took us 7 hours of which at least 3 were spent in traffic queues.

A belated but heartfelt thankyou to all the guys that contributed to this thread, I hope it will come up in other peoples searches and be able to help them as much as it helped me.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

If you're planning on doing a similar route this summer, check out the situation in Rouen first - there are currently diversions set up due to damage to the Pont Mathilde (? well one of the bridges, anyway) and it's unlikely to be repaired in the foreseeable future. So, probably best to give Rouen a miss. One alternative is to go up to the Pont de Normandie.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babytillysmum
Apologies for not coming back to update this sooner.

It went so, so well. I loved the whole experience and have already booked for another 2 weeks this summer. If anyone else is in the position I was in last year having never driven through France then all you need to know is in this thread, the guys here have some very sound advice.

The route I decided on was Calais / Rouen / Evreux / Dreux / Chatres / Orleans / Bourges. Wonderful overnight stay in a Novotel then just followed the A71 / A75 all the way down to the south coast. I was initially concerned about Rouen but actually flew threw as it was so well signposted.

This year I will NOT be travelling on a Saturday as our second day from Bourges to the coast took us 7 hours of which at least 3 were spent in traffic queues.

A belated but heartfelt thankyou to all the guys that contributed to this thread, I hope it will come up in other peoples searches and be able to help them as much as it helped me.
Check this page for days to avoid http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gou...13_BF_FR-2.pdf
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road

Babytillysmum, Glad it all went well. Was worried as you hadn't reported back. Thought you might still be going round Rouen

At what point do you become Toddlertillysmum?