Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

CAF and housing benefit?

CAF and housing benefit?

Old Oct 26th 2013, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CAF and housing benefit?

Does anyone know how the housing benefit works for single mothers with one child (3 yrs)? I am realising, quickly, that I will eventually have to move out of the "domicile conjugal" and I'm freaking at the rent prices in the Avignon area. A 2 bed apartment in an OK area is about €675-€735 a month without bills - it'll be about 50% of my current income.

Ideally I'd like a small house with a garden as I have a dog and cat, and have been used to living in rather spacious places ... but I am realistic.

Any ideas on what's available for when the time comes?

On another note, does anyone know if that benefit would apply against a mortgage or is it solely for rental contracts?
Old Oct 26th 2013, 9:55 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAF and housing benefit?

Originally Posted by beigey
Does anyone know how the housing benefit works for single mothers with one child (3 yrs)? I am realising, quickly, that I will eventually have to move out of the "domicile conjugal" and I'm freaking at the rent prices in the Avignon area. A 2 bed apartment in an OK area is about €675-€735 a month without bills - it'll be about 50% of my current income.

Ideally I'd like a small house with a garden as I have a dog and cat, and have been used to living in rather spacious places ... but I am realistic.

Any ideas on what's available for when the time comes?

On another note, does anyone know if that benefit would apply against a mortgage or is it solely for rental contracts?
Any form of Benefit or Caf money can not be calculated into income for loans and mortgages in France as banks and lenders here cannot forcibly take that money from you in bankruptcy situations so they don't lend against it.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

If you go on the CAF website there are calculators available which will tell you the amount you are entitled to. As stated above, there is nothing towards a mortgage. The benefit you are looking for is ALS 'aide au logement sociale'. They are fixed sums, if you choose a property where the rent is higher, then you are responsible for the rest. Don't forget that you will need a considerable amount of cash upfront if you are taking a rental and the CAf money is paid retrospectively. If you go through an agent then the 'dossier' they prepare includes a lot of other paperwork, including proof of income etc etc.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

+1
If you only have one child, then you might not be registered at the CAF, in which case it would be better to go to your local CAF offices and speak to some one. They'll tell you what documents to collect together and will want to know about your marital situation and how much "pension alimentaire" your child's father will be paying, when calculating your various rights.
If you are granted ALS, it will be paid directly to the landlord, but you'd have to justify the amount before your dossier is accepted and a lease can be signed. Landlords generally require an income (regular salary/alimony/benefits) of 3-4 times the rent, otherwise a Guarantor is necessary....
Hope this helps, Good luck!