Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buying property - market trends?

Buying property - market trends?

Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Ras0888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying property - market trends?

Thanks for your advice, I'm hearing the 'insulation' point loud and clear! Our house in the uk is old and cold, with draughts and unless heating is on 24hrs a day, its miserable. I want nothing more than to get it right in France, its our chance to live in a fuel efficient house. Once there, we will be able to get a better idea of what exists now and how it works with the wood burner etc. no doubt I'll be back on here.

Regards
Old Sep 26th 2014, 3:10 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add my very best of luck to you Ras! Your plan sounds exciting, both with the house and with the farm. I left France two years ago, but I lived in Sarthe, between Le Mans and Angers for 15 years, and was mostly very happy. I had a very good friend who had been a hill farmer in Britain till he lost all his animals in the foot and mouth outbreak. He had a farm near Angers and loved it, he was and is, quite successful and received a great deal of support and friendship from the local French farming community. He and his wife and kids thought it was the best thing they had ever done. May you and yours be as happy

I lived in quite a largish house that I renovated slowly over the years with the help of qualified French artisans. I learned French from years with the workmen. I insulated and insulated, and when I had my wood stove on in winter, I had to often open the front and back door because the house got so hot!

I renovated my house well and lovingly, when I wanted to sell, I sold her very quickly to French buyers who will continue to love her. Did I lose or make money? I may have broken even? Who cares? I loved lots of aspects of my life and living in France and have many fond memories....priceless.

Very best of luck!
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:47 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, good luck to you Ras! I have friends who own a farm near the pyrenees and she seems to live a great life ( walking in the mountains with her son on a weekly basis..).

We also had a lovely house which we looked after and which we sold easily to another french family with small children who will have as good a time as my family did in that house. We outgrew France and moved on but look back with fond memories.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post
We outgrew France
Taking this comment in conjunction with the 'have you gotten bigger since living in America' thread, the mind boggles! what country can one move to when one grows too large to fit into America???
Old Sep 26th 2014, 3:03 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash View Post
Taking this comment in conjunction with the 'have you gotten bigger since living in America' thread, the mind boggles! what country can one move to when one grows too large to fit into America???
The UK!
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post
The UK!
Nah, the UK is tiny. If you've outgrown into France, the UK will nowhere near meet round your waist.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Ras0888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MillieF View Post
Just to add my very best of luck to you Ras! Your plan sounds exciting, both with the house and with the farm. I left France two years ago, but I lived in Sarthe, between Le Mans and Angers for 15 years, and was mostly very happy. I had a very good friend who had been a hill farmer in Britain till he lost all his animals in the foot and mouth outbreak. He had a farm near Angers and loved it, he was and is, quite successful and received a great deal of support and friendship from the local French farming community. He and his wife and kids thought it was the best thing they had ever done. May you and yours be as happy

I lived in quite a largish house that I renovated slowly over the years with the help of qualified French artisans. I learned French from years with the workmen. I insulated and insulated, and when I had my wood stove on in winter, I had to often open the front and back door because the house got so hot!

I renovated my house well and lovingly, when I wanted to sell, I sold her very quickly to French buyers who will continue to love her. Did I lose or make money? I may have broken even? Who cares? I loved lots of aspects of my life and living in France and have many fond memories....priceless.

Very best of luck!
Thankyou for your words of support! (And P.F too). It was lovely to read. We hope that farming will help with the integration, we know the farmers will be curious about us and how my OH works etc. The good thing bout dairy is we will have various people come to the farm like vets, ai man, tanker driver etc and then for harvest time there is a group that all help each other. We aren't sure of our long term future, but who is? A lot depends on whether our children want to be farmers, so far they don't show any interest and we're more than happy for them to choose a different life. So its 10yrs until we get a better idea. And in the short term, we will give France 2yrs before we even ask ourselves if we're happy, we have a contingency if we're not but I'm hopeful it won't be the case. Fingers crossed!

Regards,

Ruth
Old Jun 21st 2015, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Norahoc is an unknown quantity at this point

We are considering moving to the Lot area. we have been looking at property in the area on various sites. What time of the year is recommended to travel over and have a look? Are real estate agents open all year round? Would any particular real estate agents be recommended by anyone?
Ta
Old Jun 21st 2015, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Debra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant future

They're all open all year round. Why wouldn't they be? Do you think French people don't buy property outside the tourist season?

Try googling 'immobilier' and the name of the town you're interested in. Look on Site de petites annonces gratuites d'occasion - leboncoin.fr for the Lot department. Try this site too French-Property.com : find Property for sale in Lot-et-Garonne (47), France and this one Lot-et-Garonne property - Cheapest properties on the market in Lot-et-Garonne and this one Lot et Garonne Property for Sale Listing Page 1 of 7 and this one Property all over France : 88853 houses for sale in France but check all of them because the same property will often be advertised on numerous sites at very different prices.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think you need to come over several times and see your chosen region at each season of the year, before moving to it. Especially with a large family. Buying a house is the easy bit but there's a lot of preparation to do before you get to that stage. Lots to figure out - work, taxes, healthcare, schooling if appropriate, etc, etc. One quick visit and buy a house ain't enough IMHO.
Of course you may have done all the prep already, in which case - I'll shut up
Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Norahoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all those estate agents sites and advise - all very welcome!
We have a lot to do.