Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buying property - market trends?

Buying property - market trends?

Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying property - market trends?

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
The radiators are filled with water, oil heats the water or wood heats the water. But you can purchased oil filled radiators they are usually electric though the increased viscosity improves the thermal conductivity or something like that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=11712371
yes,yes yes,

Do you heat your house using oil ?
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:26 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touraine
yes,yes yes,

Yes and wood........Multi fuel.....
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

yes,yes yes,

Forget about oil,water,electricity, wood, coal, gas etc.

Geothermal is the way to go
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and wood........Multi fuel.....
You use oil to heat the boiler and you have a fireplace ????

This is hard work.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:05 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

You use oil to heat the boiler and you have a fireplace ????

This is hard work.
No we have a boiler system that can deal with both "Chaudière mixte"
Old Sep 17th 2014, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

I am not talking about a Chaudière to heat your radiators with pellets.

A good 'poêle à granulés' will heat four seperate rooms plus the room that it is in.

If your buying a small house in the middle of nowhere allocate 8000 euros to buy and install one of these.
I have a 16KW Franco Belge woodburner with ducting in the house and a cheap Bricodepot 14KW woodburner in our cottage. Total setup was less than 1000 Euros. Two wood sellers nearby and it costs about 300 Euros a year for wood.
You do the maths.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

we have nothing, and it's cold.

That's not quite true, I like to exaggerate. We have overhead heating! not sure what or how it works, but after our first winter electricity bills we no longer use this.

We move into one room downstairs with a wood burner. Our children's room we have an electric radiator and in my office I use a paraffin burner. I also use this burner to get the children's room up to temp quicker and to warm our bedroom before bed. But in the morning boy our room is cold. And the bathroom... Brrrrrrr

Kind of get used to it though
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:43 am
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by loy loy
we have nothing, and it's cold.

That's not quite true, I like to exaggerate. We have overhead heating! not sure what or how it works, but after our first winter electricity bills we no longer use this.

We move into one room downstairs with a wood burner. Our children's room we have an electric radiator and in my office I use a paraffin burner. I also use this burner to get the children's room up to temp quicker and to warm our bedroom before bed. But in the morning boy our room is cold. And the bathroom... Brrrrrrr

Kind of get used to it though
Many moons ago we had a mishmash of heating devices keeping them all filled up was a nightmare and expensive and I certainly recall those cold starts to the day. Investing in a chaudiere and radiators was the best investment we made if I was renovating again my only change would be to plan heating pipes in the floors from the outset when the concrete was going down.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Debra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant future

My fosse doesn't conform and I was told I only needed to provide the last report done - not one less than three years old. I'm not obliged to update the fosse before I sell it or even get a devis to say what it would cost, even though that might be helpful. That's what I've been told anyway. The report I have gave me four years to address the issues listed in it. It's a new buyer that only has a year.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Ras0888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are moving to Lot et Garonne inbetween Xmas and new year. The house needs lots of work. I hate the thought of tiled cold floors in winter, any thoughts on underfloor heating? There isnt a gas supply, so oil and electric (although that's what we have where I live now so I'm used to having an Emersion tank etc. anyone on here have? Cost to install?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:09 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by Ras0888
Hi, we are moving to Lot et Garonne inbetween Xmas and new year. The house needs lots of work. I hate the thought of tiled cold floors in winter, any thoughts on underfloor heating? There isnt a gas supply, so oil and electric (although that's what we have where I live now so I'm used to having an Emersion tank etc. anyone on here have? Cost to install?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Electric immersion tanks are completely normal here, If you have the budget and space you should consider a combined fuel system wood and oil you can also have a gas tank here as well.

If you want underfloor heating unless you have loads of headroom you will need to dig enough out so you can add a reasonable amount of insulation as well otherwise you will be throwing lots of heat away. I have always found wood to be the cheapest fuel here but it involves more work lugging it about keeping it dry and if you use wood keep the boiler in an easily accessible place.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:15 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I had a house with tiled floors everywhere...

I didn't have underfloor heating but did have central heating and the tiles were warmed up by that. Like most people I had rugs scattered about the place, some of which were removed in the summer months. We had a wood insert in the living room which kept the house toasty. I kept thinking about getting the warm air from the insert piped to the bedrooms but never got around to it.

Geothermic would be fab but only feasible with a new build I'm told.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Electric immersion tanks are completely normal here, If you have the budget and space you should consider a combined fuel system wood and oil you can also have a gas tank here as well.

If you want underfloor heating unless you have loads of headroom you will need to dig enough out so you can add a reasonable amount of insulation as well otherwise you will be throwing lots of heat away. I have always found wood to be the cheapest fuel here but it involves more work lugging it about keeping it dry and if you use wood keep the boiler in an easily accessible place.
Thanks, yes there is plenty of height to the rooms, my OH said that would be the case and if we don't do everywhere there would be a slight step down to original flooring (so that's no major problem). We need to re-wire, new windows and doors, kitchen, bathroom and hopefully convert into the roof space (there is already a staircase and floor down. So I'm thinking if we can afford it and as the place is getting a lot done and will be a building site, we should do it straight off. Here in the uk we have oil boiler, coal fire, Emersion tank, fan heater and living flame fire (propane bottles), the house never really warms up to comfortable and costs a bloody fortune. We don't want a repeat in France if we can help it!
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ras0888
Thanks, yes there is plenty of height to the rooms, my OH said that would be the case and if we don't do everywhere there would be a slight step down to original flooring (so that's no major problem). We need to re-wire, new windows and doors, kitchen, bathroom and hopefully convert into the roof space (there is already a staircase and floor down. So I'm thinking if we can afford it and as the place is getting a lot done and will be a building site, we should do it straight off. Here in the uk we have oil boiler, coal fire, Emersion tank, fan heater and living flame fire (propane bottles), the house never really warms up to comfortable and costs a bloody fortune. We don't want a repeat in France if we can help it!
I wonder why I have a strong feeling that touraine will be along soon with a less than kind remark of some sort?
Old Sep 19th 2014, 5:42 am
Just Joined

I should add that I WANT these things rather than we have bought a completely run down property. We can move in and live in it as it is, which we will do initially until we work out what's best done and in what order. I've read the posts about not getting your money back and we are aware of that risk.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.