Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buying property in France

Buying property in France

Old Mar 19th 2016, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying property in France

Originally Posted by dmu
+1
This is just about it. If TH wants to read through the Compromis before the signature date, he can ask the Notaire for an appointment beforehand, with an interpreter, and iron out any queries then. The good thing nowadays, when it comes to the final signature of the Acte, is that the initialled and signed Compromis comes up on a screen, the Notaire reads it through again and makes sure that all parties are in agreement, and everyone signs "electronically".
Just as important are the "Copropriété" clauses which the Notaire can check. TH should go to all the AGMs organised by the Syndic for his building, esp. to have his say on any maintenance and/or renovation works.
I found an English guy who has been In France thirty years and runs a business and he went through the Compromis, the last two AGMs of the Co-pro and the buildings maintenance record with me. I went back to the agent with a couple of relatively small questions ad picked up the diagnostique and co-pro regulations. More French reading this weekend! But it looks less demanding than the first tranche.

It seems that there is a completely different process here. I have been asked to sign in the agents office after which she will post the paper to the notaire who will send back the stuff by registered mail for the ten day cooling off period. Only then I am obliged to pay the deposit (much less than 10% and the notaire's fees). This seems very unlike the process that people have been describing here and in the book I am following, but it does avoid the need for an interpreter.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 3:25 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TextualHealing
I found an English guy who has been In France thirty years and runs a business and he went through the Compromis, the last two AGMs of the Co-pro and the buildings maintenance record with me. I went back to the agent with a couple of relatively small questions ad picked up the diagnostique and co-pro regulations. More French reading this weekend! But it looks less demanding than the first tranche.

It seems that there is a completely different process here. I have been asked to sign in the agents office after which she will post the paper to the notaire who will send back the stuff by registered mail for the ten day cooling off period. Only then I am obliged to pay the deposit (much less than 10% and the notaire's fees). This seems very unlike the process that people have been describing here and in the book I am following, but it does avoid the need for an interpreter.

That's interesting, the vendors must live some way from Hendaye and are using their own Notaire? But surely you'll have to sign the final Acte before a Notaire or give procuration to the distant Notary's Clerc?
Old Mar 19th 2016, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

That's fine as long as you trust your 'agent' and don't have anything you want to check with the notaire (see post 24).
Old Mar 19th 2016, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
That's interesting, the vendors must live some way from Hendaye and are using their own Notaire? But surely you'll have to sign the final Acte before a Notaire or give procuration to the distant Notary's Clerc?
No the vendor lives in Hendaye - but the Notaire is some twenty minutes drive away. I was in the office when the same procedure was taking place (for a vendor (or buyer) who lives in Paris.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
That's fine as long as you trust your 'agent' and don't have anything you want to check with the notaire (see post 24).
ET how do I track a numbered post? And I haven't seen anything yet that I want to check with the notaire.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 8:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

ET how do I track a numbered post? And I haven't seen anything yet that I want to check with the notaire.
Clue: your's was #50 and this is #51

Tricky isn't it?
Old Mar 19th 2016, 10:18 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

You'd have to ring the Notaire to ask for the Code-Barre number on the Registered letter that they're sending you, then go onto La Poste's website to track it. Did your Agent send the document to the Notaire by LRAR? Sometimes they take longer to be delivered than ordinary mail....
In fact I'm still wondering about you signing the Compromis before the Agent, or maybe you've given her Procuration?
Old Mar 20th 2016, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
In fact I'm still wondering about you signing the Compromis before the Agent, or maybe you've given her Procuration?
I don't think it's particularly unusual to sign the compromis with an agent these days, after all the acte will still go through the notaire. Although I don't understand why you wouldn't want to get full benefit from your notaire, after all as buyer you pay him the same whether you use him or not and you would expect him to know a lot more, and also be more impartial, than the agent.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 9:51 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Completely off-topic, but I bet that TH is glad he's not living in Molenbeek any more....
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:11 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I don't think it's particularly unusual to sign the compromis with an agent these days, after all the acte will still go through the notaire. Although I don't understand why you wouldn't want to get full benefit from your notaire, after all as buyer you pay him the same whether you use him or not and you would expect him to know a lot more, and also be more impartial, than the agent.
I personally would prefer to deal directly with the Notaire, for those reasons.
OH confirms what you say, the Immo can deal with the Compromis de Vente, but the vendor and buyer must go before the Notaire for final signature, unless they've officially given procuration to someone to represent them. Very often the Clerc de Notaire in the case of parties too far away to sign for themselves and with no one on the spot they can trust completely.
For personal reasons, I'm not representing my former neighbour's UK heirs when they eventually sell her house, but have advised them to give procuration (with all that that entails ) to the Notaire's Clerc, more trustworthy than an unknown Immo agent....
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Clue: your's was #50 and this is #51

Tricky isn't it?
I was looking at the info on the left I didn't notice the numbers on the right :-(
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Completely off-topic, but I bet that TH is glad he's not living in Molenbeek any more....
Indeed. I still have to go back and empty the flat soon though
Old Mar 20th 2016, 2:18 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was looking at the info on the left I didn't notice the numbers on the right :-(
Sorry, by "numbered post", I understood another way (Belgian?) of referring to the tracking number of a registered letter!
Old Mar 20th 2016, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
You'd have to ring the Notaire to ask for the Code-Barre number on the Registered letter that they're sending you, then go onto La Poste's website to track it. Did your Agent send the document to the Notaire by LRAR? Sometimes they take longer to be delivered than ordinary mail....
I meant the number of the post in this thread. ET pointed out my stupidity there. I haven't signed yet. One or two things to put in place.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Wiggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally new to all this, had a look through posts. I am selling in England and buying in SW France, what do I need to check and do before signing the Compromis de Vente. The agent seems to suggest I basically turn up and pay my deposit, I don't need a loan. Some have said a survey is not very helpful and is just an additional cost, I am inclined to get one though. how do I put a clause in that I need the money from my English sale to complete. Any advice would be great - thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.