Reload this Page >

buying a property entitle you to automatic residency

buying a property entitle you to automatic residency

Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Inspiron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default buying a property entitle you to automatic residency

Hi

I'm about to purchase a property in South of France. Does buying it outright entitle you to some form of legal temporary residence permit? Or do you have to live there for 3-6 months. I intend on living there while flitting between different EU destinations via train for short periods, but not returning to the UK where I've lived all my life.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a property entitle you to automatic residency

No, just buying a property doesn't grant you any kind of residency. Do you have an EU passport? The feasibility of your plan will depend on the answer to that.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

No, I only have a silly UK passport. Good enough?
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inspiron
No, I only have a silly UK passport. Good enough?
Not for your plan I'm afraid. As a British passport holder you can only spent 180 days out of every 6 month period in the EU. So you won't be able to just travel around the EU indefinitely I'm afraid.

Sounds like you'll need to look at visa options for France, see if you are eligible for any route (the good folks on this forum will help you with that) and then once you have EU residency you'll have a bit more freedom.

Good luck.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not for your plan I'm afraid. As a British passport holder you can only spent 180 days out of every 6 month period in the EU. So you won't be able to just travel around the EU indefinitely I'm afraid.

Sounds like you'll need to look at visa options for France, see if you are eligible for any route (the good folks on this forum will help you with that) and then once you have EU residency you'll have a bit more freedom.

Good luck.
90 days out of 180
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Is the Marie,(town hall) a good port of call for everything you need for moving to France? visas,insurance,formalities,taxes etc?
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

You would not be able to work as a pharmacist in France because the training is different.
You may be able to work as a pharmacy assistant but you would need a specific visa which allows you to work.
This would be more difficult to get and also French companies can only employ when they are unable to employ a French national.
You say that you have work experience in the USA which may be your better option.
Are you fluent in French?
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by cyrian
90 days out of 180
Thank you for the correction, that was quite the typo! 180 days out of every 6 months would mean pretty much all the time there.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

I have work experience in the UK for 10 years as a Community Pharmacist and I understand you need to be related to a Pharmacist someone in France(father of your prospective Pharmacist wife for example), who owns a big chain of stores for example. You need to be well connected. I am fluent in French both spoken and written, and a regular lone visitor to France for some time and I can certainly perfect my French. Otherwise its just trying out the local ads, a specific well-known Pharmacist/medical online agency. requiring Pharmacy locums or otherwise.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Is the Marie,(town hall) a good port of call for everything you need for moving to France? visas,insurance,formalities,taxes etc?
You need to apply to the French embassy in the UK for a (work) visa.
The application process moves at French speed - not on holidays, not on birthdays, not on days ending in "y", etc etc
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

I have work experience in the UK for 10 years as a Community Pharmacist and I understand you need to be related to a Pharmacist someone in France(father of your prospective Pharmacist wife for example), who owns a big chain of stores for example. You need to be well connected. I am fluent in French both spoken and written, and a regular lone visitor to France for some time and I can certainly perfect my French. Otherwise its just trying out the local ads, a specific well-known Pharmacist/medical online agency. requiring Pharmacy locums or otherwise.
Ask the Pharmaceutical Society where your qualifications are valid.
I found an article in the PJ regarding UK pharmacists wanting to work in USA.
UK pharmacist wants to work in USA
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

The qualifications are valid and accepted in France and USA. You need a letter of good standing from the GPhc( Pharmacy regulator). No misconduct allegations, or investigations,cautions or reprimands from them in my case. So its just a French fluency test, work experience in a French Pharmacy, knowledge of medical French that would set you up as a potential French Phamacistienne.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Old Feb 14th 2023, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

The Mairie only deals with local stuff. Planning permission, problems with neighbours, local services.
Some mairies can advise you on where you need to go to do the various things.
But there's a tax office that deals with taxes, not sure what insurance you are thinking about, and you have to obtain your visa from the French embassy service in the UK before you enter France. Then you get your residence permits from the immigration section of a departmental prefecture, which will be in one of the big towns.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Pilki is an unknown quantity at this point

The qualifications are valid and accepted in France and USA. You need a letter of good standing from the GPhc( Pharmacy regulator). No misconduct allegations, or investigations,cautions or reprimands from them in my case. So its just a French fluency test, work experience in a French Pharmacy, knowledge of medical French that would set you up as a potential French Phamacistienne.
I don't think this is the case at all since Brexit and it would be a long uphill slog to have your qualification recognized in the EU, The process in France would require you to first present your demand to the Conseil Supérieur de la Pharmacie (which only meets twice a year) which will look at any reciprocity agreements in place (I don't believe there is one between the UK and France for this).
As mentioned previously this would not dispense you from the requirement to obtain a work visa which would also mean you would first need to have a job offer,
Incidentally "pharmacistienne" is not a word in France and if it was is would be for a female. The word you are looking for is pharmacien.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.