Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

buying a car in uk!!

buying a car in uk!!

Old Aug 11th 2009, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

mcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to all
Default buying a car in uk!!

Hi we will be living in france early next year but we will be buying a 4 x 4 in the uk before we leave, with the intention of driving it to france and registering it in france. I have heard i may need a 'certificate of conformity' to produce when i register it. How do i get one - any advice would be appreciated.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:10 pm
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: buying a car in uk!!

These laws have changed if I'm not mistaken.

I remember reading about it in the news papers earlier this year that there now is a unified certificate of conformity in the EU that all EU member states adhere to. So you can buy your car in any EU member state and take it to any EU member state.

This should no longer be an issue, why don't you call your car dealer and ask him? They should know about this
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:12 pm
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point

In fact, why buy your car in the UK?

You should buy your new car in a EU member state that has the lowest taxes, you could end up saving some real money with that!
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:00 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcmorrow1
Hi we will be living in france early next year but we will be buying a 4 x 4 in the uk before we leave, with the intention of driving it to france and registering it in france. I have heard i may need a 'certificate of conformity' to produce when i register it. How do i get one - any advice would be appreciated.
If you are buying new then the manufacturer will issue one when you buy now, but if you are buying second hand you will need to contact the manufacturer if there isnt one with the car. I'm not sure of the exact laws for France, but for instance in Spain you need to have owned it for 6 months before matriculating for it to escape import registration fees - best to check
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikbergen
In fact, why buy your car in the UK?

You should buy your new car in a EU member state that has the lowest taxes, you could end up saving some real money with that!
For example Dover-Ostende and buy in Belgium - all the French near the border do it!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:40 am
Just moved!

rutheglen is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought my Vecta over from UK - had to call Vauxhall in UK to get ECOC. Cost around 100 gbp. It took about a week from calling, sending off cheque and recieving certificate.
Easy!
Good luck