Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in France question....

Buying a car in France question....

Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:10 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in France question....

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;

Do you find it's up to comfortable long distance driving? Or is it better as a city car?[/QUOTE]

Apologies, I was away - They aren't huge, but much bigger than many smaller cars. 'we' are normally me and my husband and large and fast growing tween and Cairn terrier and we are very comfortable. I am a signed up fan of 'em. Our 'family' car is a Renault Scenic, and I will never have another in my life. From the second I test drove my Fiat I was hooked - we drive to Paris in her (3 hours) and find her very comfortable. I would have one in Canada - as they are quite popular in BC, but as we are moving to the East Coast I just think she sits a bit low to cope with the snow. The Abarth version is great too, my husband fancies them big time.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Thanks for the tip Rob. So you and your partner never actually made it to BC?

I hope you're still happy together and wish you luck in blighty.

That car looks interesting, very comparable to the Note I asked about.

I'll check it out and its costs (buying & servicing) in France.

Thanks again.
Sadly the recession put an end to the job and with that the Work Permit. So no BC for us , but we loved our 2 years on Toronto and are very happy to be back in London. Now investigating a holiday place in France, that might be a possible retirement option in the future.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Apologies, I was away - They aren't huge, but much bigger than many smaller cars. 'we' are normally me and my husband and large and fast growing tween and Cairn terrier and we are very comfortable. I am a signed up fan of 'em. Our 'family' car is a Renault Scenic, and I will never have another in my life. From the second I test drove my Fiat I was hooked - we drive to Paris in her (3 hours) and find her very comfortable. I would have one in Canada - as they are quite popular in BC, but as we are moving to the East Coast I just think she sits a bit low to cope with the snow. The Abarth version is great too, my husband fancies them big time.
!5" wheels with snow tyres is an option. Really the snow isn't that bad (most places).
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
Sadly the recession put an end to the job and with that the Work Permit. So no BC for us , but we loved our 2 years on Toronto and are very happy to be back in London. Now investigating a holiday place in France, that might be a possible retirement option in the future.
Sorry about the WP. Retirement in France is a rather close event for us.

Keep in touch.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:26 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
!5" wheels with snow tyres is an option. Really the snow isn't that bad (most places).
I think it's also that 'everybody else' is in a slightly bigger car, so I'd feel a bit like a bug waiting to be squished. The snow has evidently been great this year, and in downtown Fredericton, all should be pretty well. At the moment I am looking at the idea of a 'compact crossover' which regrettably sounds a bit soulless! I want a bit of va va voom! Saw something called a Toyota Rav 4, as my husband drives one in Africa, it's enormous - I park 'by sound' at the best of times, but this thing was like a tank. Cars are very much part of one's personality, I feel. In my zippy shiny black Fiat with go faster stripes, I feel like the woman I would like myself to be.

Retirement in France would be great. I think it could be most enjoyable. I have loved the eleven years we have been here, and will break my heart to leave.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:25 pm
Born again atheist

Check your PM Millie.