Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Buy a new car in UK or France?

Buy a new car in UK or France?

Old Sep 24th 2021, 10:02 am
Just Joined

NMMC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buy a new car in UK or France?

Hi folks - some advice please for a newbie.

We are planning to move to south west France in approx. 9-12 months. Due to an expanded family I would like to buy a bigger, new [not used] car, but having done lots of research and read many, many posts on forums, I am no clearer whether in the post-brexit world it would be better to buy a UK car and import it [prices seem so much lower, especially if you use a broker and the car would be over 6 months by the time we go] or wait and get one in France [getting a LHD, avoiding the import hassle, but having to pay a lot more]. I've read that the French dealerships don't really discount and that a lot of people in France buy their new cars in the likes of Belgium as the prices can be a lot better? If anyone has experience and can give any advice it would be greatly appreciated..
Old Sep 24th 2021, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buy a new car in UK or France?

Hi
Welcome to the forum
There is a man in Lyon ?? who offers to buy cars for Brit expats.
I have seen adverts in "The Connexion" but haven't paid much attention to them.
You would have to balance the costs including the conversion to LHD from RHD - speedometer, lights etc against the French prices.
You could also consider an LOA (PCP) rental deal.
Second-hand car prices are higher in France then in the UK.
I bought a new car in France and I still have it after 13 years so the original cost was not really that important.
I am sure that you will have other questions about moving to France which may be covered in the sticky at the top of the France page.
The first thing that you should consider is whether you will be can obtain a visa.
HTH
Old Sep 24th 2021, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Without knowing your attitude to paperwork on the one hand, and your financial situation and attitude to money on the other, I don't see how we can really advise. It's a personal decision, what's best for you.
You seem to have identified the pros and cons on each side so how do they stack up with your priorities?. How important is it to you to keep costs down in the short term? How much does it matter to you whether the steering wheel is on the "right" side or the "wrong" side? How are you on paperwork and bureaucracy?
One thing you haven't mentioned and I don't know the answer to is, if you buy a new car in the UK, would all the warranties and guarantees be fully valid outside the UK? If not, does that matter to you?
Old Sep 24th 2021, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Save yourself a massive headache and buy a car in France.
A friend of mine brought her car over from the UK and set about trying to register it in France. It was unbelievably difficult. And this was pre-Brexit.
She ended up carrying a huge dossier around in the car and every time the police stopped her (which they did frequently, their curiosity piqued by the right-hand drive) she would just hand it over to them.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 7:27 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NMMC
Hi folks - some advice please for a newbie.

We are planning to move to south west France in approx. 9-12 months. Due to an expanded family I would like to buy a bigger, new [not used] car, but having done lots of research and read many, many posts on forums, I am no clearer whether in the post-brexit world it would be better to buy a UK car and import it [prices seem so much lower, especially if you use a broker and the car would be over 6 months by the time we go] or wait and get one in France [getting a LHD, avoiding the import hassle, but having to pay a lot more]. I've read that the French dealerships don't really discount and that a lot of people in France buy their new cars in the likes of Belgium as the prices can be a lot better? If anyone has experience and can give any advice it would be greatly appreciated..
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
I know nothing about the legal side of importing a UK registered car into France, but you must realise that, driving with a RHD car on the Continent isn't the safest way of driving. To give just one example, without a permanent passenger, you can't peer around the car in front to check on on-coming traffic before you overtake, and less dangerous but a practical problem, you'll have problems paying at toll booths. Buy a car in France! But this is a minor matter compared to other issues....
As hinted by Cyrian, have you made sure that you're eligible for Visas?
An "expanded family" suggests that you aren't retirees, and that you'll be intending to work or live off savings and/or unearned income.... It also suggests that you'll be needing to know about schooling in France. Both subjects need to be researched before you start applying for Visas (you''ll need to present a business plan if you intend to work, anyway) and, unless any children will be going to State Schools, you need to know in advance about the other possibilities/prohibitions.
Give us more info on yourselves and we'll be able to advise. To start with, are you a married couple? If not, France isn't a partner-friendly country and you'd be considered as separate individuals by all the Administrations. How many children are included in "we", and what ages? Is there an elderly parent in the equation?
Whereabouts in South West France? The area is enormous and, if you were planning on sending children to an International School, their number is limited. If you're planning to work from home, check on the business structure which you must set up, and also the quality of internet if you choose a rural area.
I'm throwing out questions here and they might not be applicable to you, so please give more details!
Whatever, is your respective French adequate to cope with all the bureaucracy which you'll encounter on all fronts, once you've got your Visas and have arrived?
HTH
Old Sep 25th 2021, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

And are you in a position to overcome the Visa question?
Buy in France avoid all the import hassle getting the vehicle cleared by French Customs then going through the re registration process then being stuck behind the slowest biggest piece of farm machinery and not being able to overtake because you cannot see
Old Sep 26th 2021, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

And you need to remember that a RHD car in France is not worth a great deal and as French insurance pays out based on the market value you may lose out if your RHD car is written off
Old Sep 26th 2021, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

The OP hasn't been back since their first post.
Old Sep 26th 2021, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

NMMC is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the car-related thoughts everyone.
Old Oct 3rd 2021, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

jack_russell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi
Welcome to the forum
There is a man in Lyon ?? who offers to buy cars for Brit expats.
I have seen adverts in "The Connexion" but haven't paid much attention to them.
You would have to balance the costs including the conversion to LHD from RHD - speedometer, lights etc against the French prices.
You could also consider an LOA (PCP) rental deal.
Second-hand car prices are higher in France then in the UK.
I bought a new car in France and I still have it after 13 years so the original cost was not really that important.
I am sure that you will have other questions about moving to France which may be covered in the sticky at the top of the France page.
The first thing that you should consider is whether you will be can obtain a visa.
HTH
Why would you even consider getting a RHD converted to LHD? All you need to do is to get the headlights adjusted.