Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Building permission blues

Wikiposts

Building permission blues

Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of
Default Building permission blues

This may be an old chataigne, but I wonder if I need building/planning/bribing/whatever permission to build an open carport. Four corner columns, screed floor and tiled roof, no walls, height abt 2 m (just enough for a crossover or small 4x4).

This would be built within the confines of the property and could hardly even be seen from the road.
Blackie
Old Feb 6th 2013, 4:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building permission blues

Originally Posted by Blackladder
This may be an old chataigne, but I wonder if I need building/planning/bribing/whatever permission to build an open carport. Four corner columns, screed floor and tiled roof, no walls, height abt 2 m (just enough for a crossover or small 4x4).

This would be built within the confines of the property and could hardly even be seen from the road.
Blackie
Hi,
If the surface area is more than 20m² then you'll need a Permis de Construire.
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/p...rs/F1986.xhtml
If less than 20m², a simple Déclaration Préalable is sufficient.
Either way you must deposit the relevant forms at the Mairie.
Hope this helps!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:52 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Blackladder, I've asked for a few permis in my time, and they have been remarkably simple and I've never had a moments trouble...even when I knocked the roof off installed another floor with dormers, in the centre of the village! It'll go fine.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute

I can't swear to it, but I think I read somewhere that any concrete base (ie. your screed) larger than one square metre needs basic permission. Has anyone else heard this?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:35 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White Trash
I can't swear to it, but I think I read somewhere that any concrete base (ie. your screed) larger than one square metre needs basic permission. Has anyone else heard this?
Hi, the above posted site states (click on "Déclaration Préalable") that a Déclaration Préalable is necessary for an area of between 5 and 20m². Presumably nothing is necessary for less than 5 m² (except for an outside toilet, maybe?
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, I believe it depends whether you are urban or rural, whether you are in a historic bit of town, etc, etc.

By far the simplest is, go to the Mairie, explain exactly what you want to build and exactly where you want to build it, and ask what paperwork/sketches/photos/bribes they would like. They'll tell you on the spot. There is no need read up chapter and verse of French national planning regulations.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

By far the simplest is, go to the Mairie, explain exactly what you want to build and exactly where you want to build it, and ask what paperwork/sketches/photos/bribes they would like. They'll tell you on the spot. There is no need read up chapter and verse of French national planning regulations.

You have nothing to fear
Old Feb 7th 2013, 3:26 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

do you take a bottle of wine with you ??

`
Old Feb 7th 2013, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
do you take a bottle of wine with you ??

`
If you really need that permission, I'd be inclined to take a case of wine......
Old Feb 7th 2013, 5:37 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Or invite the Maire and his/her other half to lunch and walk them through it, glass in hand ...