Brexit

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 12:51 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit

Originally Posted by BritInParis
And if Simon Jenkins says it, it must be true
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-b...-idUKKCN1Q70JN

I suggest you google it....
Old Mar 19th 2019, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

In spite of Brexit, I woke up with a smile this morning when on french radio, the house speaker John Bercow was referred to as 'Humpty Dumpty' - for whatever reason - in a French news bulletin. This for me is a first-time mention in France of the childhood nursery character.

Fwiw, in the 18th century, a brew of brandy boiled with ale was also known as Humpty Dumpty, although where I was brought up, the term had a completely different connotation as in "Fancy a bit of Humpty Dumpty?"
For those who may wish to know more:

For all those currently suffering from Brexititis (probably 99.9% of all reading this), I suggest that a glass of, or 10mins of Humpty Dumpty will do you a world of good!

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 19th 2019 at 9:18 am.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 9:53 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
In spite of Brexit, I woke up with a smile this morning when on french radio, the house speaker John Bercow was referred to as 'Humpty Dumpty' - for whatever reason - in a French news bulletin. This for me is a first-time mention in France of the childhood nursery character.

Fwiw, in the 18th century, a brew of brandy boiled with ale was also known as Humpty Dumpty, although where I was brought up, the term had a completely different connotation as in "Fancy a bit of Humpty Dumpty?"
For those who may wish to know more:

For all those currently suffering from Brexititis (probably 99.9% of all reading this), I suggest that a glass of, or 10mins of Humpty Dumpty will do you a world of good!

A Minister called him Humpty Dumpty yesterday.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Aplogies for those who have heard or read this already, but it certainly made me smile today.
Nathalie Loiseau the French minister for European affairs, has named her cat Brexit.
Why?
Spoiler:
"Il me réveille en miaulant à la mort parce qu'il veut sortir, et dès que je lui ouvre la porte, il reste planté au milieu, indécis, et il me jette un regard noir quand je le mets dehors".

The reason being she states, “He wakes me up every morning meowing his head off because he wants to go out, and then when I open the door he stays put, undecided, and then glares at me when I put him out,”

If T. May gets to hear of this, in retaliation - assuming she has a cat - I woudn't be at all surprised if she renames it L'oiseau (the bird).
Old Mar 26th 2019, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Today's smile.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 26th 2019 at 7:52 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deleted
Old Mar 31st 2019, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

There's a short documentary (20mins or so) I've been looking forward to over the last few days. On France 5 this evening at 20:50 the subject is Brexit and entitled La Fabrique du Mensonge (The Factory of Lies).
To the best of my knowledge this channel has no particular left or right-wing slant so is expected to be politically neutral, at least I hope so. Sounds interesting........
Old May 8th 2019, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Interesting comments from JC Junker.
https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/la...--finance.html