British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Break and enter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/break-enter-779050/)

loy loy Nov 28th 2012 3:43 pm

Break and enter

We woke this morning to find our barn door had been forced open. It normally open outwards. But it was forced in. With such a force that it wedged under the joists of the first floor. They are ruined. I have bodged them shut but don't really see the point in getting new double doors made as the barn is a wreck.

It looks like a bumper mark is on the door, so may have been forced with a car, which would expain how wedged it was and how they bent th esteel hinges. And it was only one of the doors, the one that is clearly not tied to the side wall.

Weird for such a sleepy village.

As I was trying to sort it out a man in a beaten up white van drove up and asked (I think) if there was machiery inside... Coincidence? I told him I didn't speak French and it was vide. Whicj it is aprt from our wood supply and our girls bikes.

Worst thinng is, they could have just opened it, it wasn't locked!!!

Not expecting help, just telling some news, as I rarely have any :)

Ka Ora! Nov 28th 2012 4:03 pm

Re: Break and enter

Originally Posted by loy loy (Post 10406006)
We woke this morning to find our barn door had been forced open. It normally open outwards. But it was forced in. With such a force that it wedged under the joists of the first floor. They are ruined. I have bodged them shut but don't really see the point in getting new double doors made as the barn is a wreck.

It looks like a bumper mark is on the door, so may have been forced with a car, which would expain how wedged it was and how they bent th esteel hinges. And it was only one of the doors, the one that is clearly not tied to the side wall.

Weird for such a sleepy village.

As I was trying to sort it out a man in a beaten up white van drove up and asked (I think) if there was machiery inside... Coincidence? I told him I didn't speak French and it was vide. Whicj it is aprt from our wood supply and our girls bikes.

Worst thinng is, they could have just opened it, it wasn't locked!!!

Not expecting help, just telling some news, as I rarely have any :)

Do people park in front of it? The illusive group caravan dwellers springs to mind, A couple of years ago I confronted 3 folk and a couple of kids stealing stuff in our village. I caught them very unawares before they had got to our house they had killed 8 of our neighbours eating rabbits outside the hutch. It's easy to think that France is easy going but burglary is on the up here.

EuroTrash Nov 28th 2012 7:14 pm

"before they had got to our house they had killed 8 of our neighbours eating rabbits outside the hutch"

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mass murder! Or, the importance of the humble apostrophe.

Annetje Nov 28th 2012 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 10406332)
"before they had got to our house they had killed 8 of our neighbours eating rabbits outside the hutch"

:):rofl::D

loy loy Nov 29th 2012 6:22 am

I won't quote the Viz characters name* but yes, I was thinking our travelling friends. No one ever parks in front of it, it's on a bend in the road.

*about 25 years ago

Garonne Nov 29th 2012 7:36 am

Where the barn's situated, could a vehicle have lost control on the bend and crashed into it??

grannybunz Nov 29th 2012 9:02 am

Surely if a vehicle had crashed, you or any neighbours would have heard it??

loy loy Nov 29th 2012 9:28 am

It could have, but it wasn't. The door had marks of a bumper, but not a dent from an impact. Also it was only the door that could be pushed. It was too well positioned.

Ka Ora! Nov 29th 2012 10:17 am

Originally Posted by loy loy (Post 10407348)
It could have, but it wasn't. The door had marks of a bumper, but not a dent from an impact. Also it was only the door that could be pushed. It was too well positioned.

Simplest solution is normally right. Ours was a sleepy hameau, Now even the rabbit hutches have locks on them. In the summer we left our car unlocked and in the morning the passenger door and glove box were wide open. They didn't touch the stereo or sat nag I would given them 10 euros to clean all the kids crap out.

cyrian Nov 29th 2012 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Ka Ora! (Post 10407421)
Simplest solution is normally right. Ours was a sleepy hameau, Now even the rabbit hutches have locks on them. In the summer we left our car unlocked and in the morning the passenger door and glove box were wide open. They didn't touch the stereo or sat nag I would given them 10 euros to clean all the kids crap out.

Don't use her anymore - bought a TomTom instead;)

cjm Nov 29th 2012 3:43 pm

At expense of closing said barn door after the CV has bolted. A word to wait to your inquisitive visitor, while you noted the reg or snapped the van's image may have acted as a deterrent if he was a guilty party.

Tattle up my neck suggests, crims go round a property at night, rattling the shutters. If light goes on etc., scarper, if not force shutters open and break-in. Hearsay, yes, but given the number of holiday homes around this neck a possibly lucrative risk.

Peabrain Nov 30th 2012 6:52 am

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 10407467)
Don't use her anymore - bought a TomTom instead;)

Thanks Loy Loy for inadvertently starting what has turned into a hilarious thread. :thumbsup:

Sorry about your barn doors all the same.

Hino Dec 4th 2012 2:17 am

Love it.......my personal 'post of the day' :rofl:

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 10406332)

loy loy Dec 4th 2012 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Peabrain (Post 10408982)
Thanks Loy Loy for inadvertently starting what has turned into a hilarious thread. :thumbsup:

Sorry about your barn doors all the same.

Glad to have been of use :)