Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Brain picking on chimneys

Brain picking on chimneys

Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice
Default Brain picking on chimneys

For those that have done renovations or are in the know I need to pick your brains about chimneys

I'm looking at re-installing my oil fuel boiler now the new chimney has been completed. If you look here is a plan of the installation. The new chimney is in red 150mm flexible conduit, with a reducer to 135mm the pipe size from the boiler. Now taking into account there can't be more than two 90 degree bends and horizontal not longer than 1 metre, how the heck can I put in an access/clearing/purge point like this

I know fuel chimneys are far less risk than wood burning stoves etc, but they do get a bit of sediment ash after a while, so just want an access point without having to dismantle all the fixings and 45 degs to get in there.

As ever any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 8:02 am
me eds a shed

COWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brain picking on chimneys

You could cut a hole in the straight pipe near the bottom and have a plate made to cover it sealed with asbestos type rope or fire resistant mastic and held with large Jubilee clips ,so it would look something like this ... http://www.fluesupplies.com/images/20072009091.jpg ....but in my experience there is very little residue produced by these types of boilers if set up correctly so it shouldn't be a problem .
Or you could buy 150m stuff from the UK and reduce it at the boiler as you can get a 45% with access in the UK.

Last edited by COWBOY_BUILDER; Sep 21st 2012 at 8:07 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Its not easy... to comply to the regs you should really have a "té de purge".

However, having said that its not always possible...

Its not really about having easy access but to prevent any sulphuric acid condensation running into the boilers heating chamber which could in turn damage your boiler.

If it was me I'd try and dig out the 50cm so that you could do away with the 2 45° bends. You then hook up the purge to a waste pipe with plastic tubing. Its probably not the easiest of solutions but it would be a better set up.

Originally Posted by cuthbert
For those that have done renovations or are in the know I need to pick your brains about chimneys

I'm looking at re-installing my oil fuel boiler now the new chimney has been completed. If you look here is a plan of the installation. The new chimney is in red 150mm flexible conduit, with a reducer to 135mm the pipe size from the boiler. Now taking into account there can't be more than two 90 degree bends and horizontal not longer than 1 metre, how the heck can I put in an access/clearing/purge point like this

I know fuel chimneys are far less risk than wood burning stoves etc, but they do get a bit of sediment ash after a while, so just want an access point without having to dismantle all the fixings and 45 degs to get in there.

As ever any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice

Originally Posted by le plumber
If it was me I'd try and dig out the 50cm so that you could do away with the 2 45° bends. You then hook up the purge to a waste pipe with plastic tubing. Its probably not the easiest of solutions but it would be a better set up.
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately it's concreted in, with a chimney stack on the slab so I have to forget touching the outside. The only other idea I had was using a T on it's side something like this which would catch any condensate from the chimney? Feasible or folly?

Originally Posted by COWBOY_BUILDER
Or you could buy 150m stuff from the UK and reduce it at the boiler as you can get a 45% with access in the UK.
Could you send me a link for the 45 deg please, know anywhere where it can be bought online?

Last edited by cuthbert; Sep 23rd 2012 at 7:29 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road

Not wanting to appear sily, but how permanent is the fixture between the red and yellow? If it were a clipped affair, couldn't you just unclip it, decouple red from yellow and shove your brush up?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Not silly at all, and in all likely hood it's what I'll have to do. The connection is the standard spring clip like this. So though a faff to disconnect everything it can be done, my main concern is the condensate drop out point, to stop liquids going back into the boiler.