British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Bouygues 4G internet box (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/bouygues-4g-internet-box-934467/)

zoys Aug 21st 2020 3:44 pm

Bouygues 4G internet box

hello, I am wondering if anyone could advise

Could I just pick up a Bouygues 4G internet box directly in one of their shops?I tried to order online in the UK, but they asked for a French mobile phone number, which I don't have yet.
Do they need a French local bank account to pay and subscribe the service? I only have a transferwise account for now, would they accept this?

Many thanks

Listen Very Carefully Aug 21st 2020 4:13 pm

Re: Bouygues 4G internet box

Have you actually got your "landline" service contract to your house sorted out yet as the box is normally sent to your house or you can pick it up from the shop when you have your contract sorted and yes,you will need a French bank account to pay the monthly fee by direct debit

zoys Aug 21st 2020 4:34 pm

Thank you.
I am going to be based in an area which does not have ASDL or fibre. I would need a 4G box to connected to the nearby 4G mobile network.
I am wondering if I could just pick up in a Bouygues 4G box in their shop?

EuroTrash Aug 21st 2020 5:03 pm

From the horse's mouth
https://forum.bouyguestelecom.fr/que...-boutique-jour
You would have to phone your store to see if this is negotiable but I suspect not. Telecoms operators in my experience tend not to be very flexible.

I believe it's now possible to set up prélèvements on TransferWise euro accounts. It didn't used to be but I seem to recall getting emails quite recently about this service now being available. But I haven't looked into it yet. However my TW account is with a bank in Belgium and I suspect French utilities companies would require a French bank account (because national legislation in France makes special provision for utilities companies to automatically recover unpaid debts from French bank accounts via the tiers détenteur procedure, and I don't suppose this is enforceable on foreign banks).

Listen Very Carefully Aug 21st 2020 6:38 pm

Apologies A case of not RTS

dmu Aug 22nd 2020 10:23 am

Originally Posted by zoys (Post 12900081)
Thank you.
I am going to be based in an area which does not have ASDL or fibre. I would need a 4G box to connected to the nearby 4G mobile network.
I am wondering if I could just pick up in a Bouygues 4G box in their shop?

Sorry I can't advise on this subject, but have I missed an episode? Isn't your friend connected to internet which you could possibly piggy-back on? (Just an thought - no idea whether this is possible from a technical/legal point of view...)
P.S. How are you and your partner getting on with the other issues that you've posted on? Do keep us updated!:)

zoys Aug 22nd 2020 2:45 pm

Hi @EuroTrash, thank you very much. That link is very helpful. Good to know there is possibility for them to accept the TransferWise, at least initially, otherwise it would be a real pain.

Hi @dmu, thanks for asking. we have a rough understanding of my partner’s possible status in France, currently it seems it all depends on my residency of France. So we are focusing on setting me up for now. My friend’s place in an area that is a bit remote, and has not been lived in for a few years, so it needs a bit restarting and reconnecting, luckily I have got the car sorted. Now just trying to sort out internet, hence this thread. :eek:

dmu Aug 22nd 2020 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by zoys (Post 12900521)
Hi @EuroTrash, thank you very much. That link is very helpful. Good to know there is possibility for them to accept the TransferWise, at least initially, otherwise it would be a real pain.

Hi @dmu, thanks for asking. we have a rough understanding of my partner’s possible status in France, currently it seems it all depends on my residency of France. So we are focusing on setting me up for now. My friend’s place in an area that is a bit remote, and has not been lived in for a few years, so it needs a bit restarting and reconnecting, luckily I have got the car sorted. Now just trying to sort out internet, hence this thread. :eek:

Fair enough!
The thought occurred to me that, when your future wife arrives and, one way or the other, works remotely (literally!), would her computer be connectable to your 4G internet box?
You might do well to add her name on the Contract, then you'd both have a Utility Bill to add to your other documents when applying for residency.
HTH

bitmanev Aug 22nd 2020 9:00 pm

A 4G router has WiFi for computer, mobiles, tablets etc connections
We use this for years and works well as long your having a good 4G signal so a 4G router with an external antenna works best or not being to far from the 4G antenna mast

dmu Aug 23rd 2020 6:34 am

Originally Posted by bitmanev (Post 12900670)
A 4G router has WiFi for computer, mobiles, tablets etc connections
We use this for years and works well as long your having a good 4G signal so a 4G router with an external antenna works best or not being to far from the 4G antenna mast

Thank you, good to know!:)

EuroTrash Aug 23rd 2020 9:08 am

I got a Three mobile router in the UK for my workplace accommodation (on a two year contract, what a waste of money that turned out to be :() and it is a brilliant piece of kit. No connection problems and faster than adsl when it gets a good signal.
Maybe it'll come in handy in the motorhome :rolleyes:.

Chatter Static Aug 25th 2020 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 12900832)
I got a Three mobile router in the UK for my workplace accommodation (on a two year contract, what a waste of money that turned out to be :() and it is a brilliant piece of kit. No connection problems and faster than adsl when it gets a good signal.
Maybe it'll come in handy in the motorhome :rolleyes:.

Fibre has come a long way in your neck of the woods.

EuroTrash Aug 25th 2020 3:06 pm

Where I'm staying now, half way up a mountain in the wilds of Ceredigion, BT claims to have switched us onto Superfast fibre broadband a couple of months ago but I don't believe them. It's no faster than it was before and it's certainly not Superfast. But, it is so remote here that really we're just glad to have broadband at all.
Even Three doesn't get much of a signal here. When I used to try and use a Three sim card in a wee little mifi device it got no signal at all. The Three router gets one bar and would be useable but the BT hub is better.

Chatter Static Aug 25th 2020 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 12901541)
Where I'm staying now, half way up a mountain in the wilds of Ceredigion, BT claims to have switched us onto Superfast fibre broadband a couple of months ago but I don't believe them. It's no faster than it was before and it's certainly not Superfast. But, it is so remote here that really we're just glad to have broadband at all.
Even Three doesn't get much of a signal here. When I used to try and use a Three sim card in a wee little mifi device it got no signal at all. The Three router gets one bar and would be useable but the BT hub is better.

I meant your place in France...... My bad.

EuroTrash Aug 26th 2020 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Chatter Static (Post 12901669)
I meant your place in France...... My bad.

No, my bad for confusing things by rambling on about living in the UK on a French forum. I just wanted to report a good experience with wireless routers in general.
TBH I'm not au fait with fibre rollout chez moi in Normandy, but I live in a small town there and the adsl connection has always been very good, it was a deal breaker for me cos I needed a reliable if not necessarily fast connection for my work.