Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Bonneville - Haute Savoie (???)

Bonneville - Haute Savoie (???)

Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

powderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant future
Default Bonneville - Haute Savoie (???)

Hi everyone,

My first post on the France forum. My wife and I recently moved across to Geneva where I will be working - we are looking for a place to live over the border in France. We have looked at Annecy (fantastic!!! ... but with a long commute). We were also wondering what the areas to the east of Geneva, on the road to Chamonix are like to live in - specifically Bonneville and Cluses.

We have driven through each of the towns and they looked ok, but we were hoping that someone on the forum might be able to comment on what they are like to live in and if there are any negatives that we should be aware of.

Many thanks!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bonneville - Haute Savoie (???)

Originally Posted by powderman75
Hi everyone,

My first post on the France forum. My wife and I recently moved across to Geneva where I will be working - we are looking for a place to live over the border in France. We have looked at Annecy (fantastic!!! ... but with a long commute). We were also wondering what the areas to the east of Geneva, on the road to Chamonix are like to live in - specifically Bonneville and Cluses.

We have driven through each of the towns and they looked ok, but we were hoping that someone on the forum might be able to comment on what they are like to live in and if there are any negatives that we should be aware of.

Many thanks!
Hi,
The main drawback is the cost of real estate. Annecy is reckoned to be one of the most expensive towns in France, and property prices in the Alps in general are absurd, pushed up by the Russians amongst others, who are now taking over from the British. Second homes abound and also push up prices, but you might find a place that someone wants to off-load because of the recession.
But then if you're working in Geneva perhaps you're a banker looking for something to spend your bonuses on.....
There are small ski resorts like La Cluzas that haven't yet been ruined by the skiing industry and they're particularly charming in the summer months.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 10:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Many thanks!
Hi,
my brother-in-law has a house in Prévessin, near Ferney-Voltaire. Many of the inhabitants commute to Geneva by bus every day...
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

powderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant futurepowderman75 has a brilliant future

Hi Peabrain,
No, not a banker looking for something to spend bonuses on.
Yes, Annecy is quite pricey ... but then LDN is even more so and doesn't have the lake, the mountains etc ...
One of my reasons for enquiring about the Bonneville area is that prices seem more reasonable there.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply dmu.
We had looked at Ferney-Voltaire, but were keen to be closer to the mountains.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Default Bonneville - Haute Savoie (???)

Hi everyone,

My apologies for reposting this, but I accidently posted this in the Le Rendez-Vous section the other day:

Many thanks!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:36 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

My apologies for reposting this, but I accidently posted this in the Le Rendez-Vous section the other day:

Many thanks!
There is really no need to repost it, The thread could be moved from " Le Rendez-Vous" section you just have to ask like

Which I have done for you

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Mar 28th 2011 at 8:41 pm.