British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Blue Badge parking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/blue-badge-parking-922177/)

scrubbedexpat056 Feb 18th 2019 3:00 pm

Blue Badge parking

Hi All,
My cousins are coming to visit from UK in their car and they have a blue badge for parking. There is a designated spot across the road from my house with no time limits mentioned. I went to the domestic parking office to ask if there were any time limits and was sent to the municipal police. There the only unhelpful person I have met so far shrugged her shoulders and rattled off something too fast for me to understand. I assumed it was a yes/no question, but clearly I was wrong.
Does anyone know if there is there a France wide understanding of blue badge spaces with no time limits mentioned as being all day parking?
If no one has the answer I can always wait until they turn up since they both speak way better French than I do and have more experience with French officialdom.

petitefrancaise Feb 18th 2019 3:06 pm

Re: Blue Badge parking

Google is a new invention. It's quite useful sometimes :sarcasm:
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_en.htm

scrubbedexpat056 Feb 18th 2019 3:18 pm

So the answer is check locally. Thanks.

petitefrancaise Feb 18th 2019 3:53 pm

Actually, I was probably being a bit too obtuse.
The bloody great EU sign with the stars, the reference to the EU website. Perhaps you don't remember that as of March 29th, the UK won't be a part of the EU.
Going and asking for member benefits at the mairie and the police station? Probably just as well you didn't understand?

dmu Feb 18th 2019 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12638882)
Actually, I was probably being a bit too obtuse.
The bloody great EU sign with the stars, the reference to the EU website. Perhaps you don't remember that as of March 29th, the UK won't be a part of the EU.
Going and asking for member benefits at the mairie and the police station? Probably just as well you didn't understand?

Notwithstanding what happens after 29th March 2019, they should obtain the EU Parking Card from the "relevant authorities" before they leave the UK. If there's no time limit mentioned on the sign, you or they would have to ask the neighbours whether all-day parking is possible. It may be that there's a Doctor, kiné or Administration office nearby...
P.S. Sorry, I haven't quoted the right post!

petitefrancaise Feb 18th 2019 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12638901)
Notwithstanding what happens after 29th March 2019, they should obtain the EU Parking Card from the "relevant authorities" before they leave the UK. If there's no time limit mentioned on the sign, you or they would have to ask the neighbours whether all-day parking is possible. It may be that there's a Doctor, kiné or Administration office nearby...
P.S. Sorry, I haven't quoted the right post!

BUT
you get the parking card from your country of residence. How would the OP's visitors get a French card?

The relevant authority in your country of residence is responsible for issuing the card, based on the EU standardised parking card model, in line with local procedures.
Like the current British passports, the UK Disabled parking card may look like an EU one but it will no longer quack like one!!

scrubbedexpat056 Feb 18th 2019 5:23 pm

Funnily enough I have remembered that we are leaving the EU on March 29th. I should have made it clear they are coming and returning to the UK before that. Remiss of me.
dmu, I'll ask the man in the tabac across the road, he seems to know everything going on around here.

dmu Feb 18th 2019 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12638903)
BUT
you get the parking card from your country of residence. How would the OP's visitors get a French card?

That's what I read in the link, too!;) After clicking on "relevant authority", then the United Kingdom, the Blue Badge helplines are clearly marked, together with e-mail addresses. Drivers from the UK follow the procedure there, before leaving for the Continent....