Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

The Big Strike 5th December 2019

The Big Strike 5th December 2019

Old Dec 4th 2019, 9:22 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Big Strike 5th December 2019

Everyone must be aware of the strikes and demonstrations initiated by the SNCF and RATP Syndicats for tomorrow, taken up by all Syndicats in the public sector (and others). Those with children will have organised childcare if their schools are closed.
Just a reminder to relative newcomers that all Administrations will be closed tomorrow (Préfectures, Mairies, Tax Offices, CPAMs, CAFs, Pôle-Emploi, etc.., not to mention La Poste).
If you're not demonstrating yourselves, steer clear of large towns where manif's are announced, as they'll likely attract the casseurs and the inevitable violence. Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Fngers crossed that the EdF Syndicats don't decide on random power cuts...
Old Dec 4th 2019, 11:33 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Big Strike 5th December 2019

Originally Posted by dmu
Everyone must be aware of the strikes and demonstrations initiated by the SNCF and RATP Syndicats for tomorrow, taken up by all Syndicats in the public sector (and others). Those with children will have organised childcare if their schools are closed.
Just a reminder to relative newcomers that all Administrations will be closed tomorrow (Préfectures, Mairies, Tax Offices, CPAMs, CAFs, Pôle-Emploi, etc.., not to mention La Poste).
If you're not demonstrating yourselves, steer clear of large towns where manif's are announced, as they'll likely attract the casseurs and the inevitable violence. Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Fngers crossed that the EdF Syndicats don't decide on random power cuts...
Yawn........ I know lets invoke chaos in December that will drum up public support for the cause.

I fail to understand the drivers striking over a couple of centimes because it's going to be the tip of an enormous iceberg of cost rises on fuel. Let's be honest the only way to phase out petroleum based fuels is going to be to tax them into oblivion before fuel shortages start. Actual fuel shortages caused by nothing left in the ground will cause havoc if we haven't been encouraged to move on to alternatives.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

As stated above, from tomorrow those involved:
And there's more.......Actual on-going strikes:
And more still, other planned strikes:
Le 16/12/2019 : Grève nationale du secteur du transport le 16 décembre 2019
NOTE - for those planning to fly in Feb next year (or get sick, or scheduled to be tried)
(let's face it, if one didn't try and keep a happy face, one would throw-up with all this strike chaos).......
03/02/2020 : Grève nationale des médecins, avocats et pilotes le 3 février 2020
Old Dec 4th 2019, 6:18 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this very useful info !
I was just about to ask if the taxoffice would be open tomorrow. (Still haven't heard back from them).
Does one assume it will only last 1 day or (being France) will the strike go on on Friday ? (Hope not, only have 2 days clear next week and on 1 of those the tax office is not open ... ).
Old Dec 5th 2019, 6:10 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Yawn........ I know lets invoke chaos in December that will drum up public support for the cause.

I fail to understand the drivers striking over a couple of centimes because it's going to be the tip of an enormous iceberg of cost rises on fuel. Let's be honest the only way to phase out petroleum based fuels is going to be to tax them into oblivion before fuel shortages start. Actual fuel shortages caused by nothing left in the ground will cause havoc if we haven't been encouraged to move on to alternatives.
The reforms are not about a few centimes, if only it were! My French teacher explained to me how he was able to retire many-years earlier than the official retirement age, and on 80% of his full retirement pension. It is perfectly understandable that the French don't want to give up their retirement 'perks'. Who would, they are fantastic! Unfortunately in this modern world they are also totally unrealistic and do need reforming. We shall see if Macron succeeds or not. If he does he will be the first French President to have done so.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

The instructions don't seem to have reached my town - school up the road is open, roads buzzing with traffic, seems to be business as usual. Though I couldn't say whether the buses are running or not, they don't go past my house.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

And last night our central heating boiler decided to go t*ts-up, and sprung an important leak. Called our plumbing service early this morning and explained the problem. They said they would send someone asap when a technician is available. Wonder if that will be today.
Been shivering ever since we got up and at breakfast in the kitchen. Then all of a sudden Mme TP made a brilliant announcement, rare for her. "We had a 2 split-level aircon units installed three years ago which we were told can also be used in heat mode, let's try it!"
Embarrased that she thought of that and I didn't, I then searched-out/read through the instruction booklet to see how to reprogram the unit to heat mode. Five minutes later with the unit modulating perfectly, we were as warm as toast, and I really had no idea that those units - a Mitsubishu, were so effective.
The sun's now streaming through the SE-facing living room bay window and warming, so for the time being I've shut-off the heat system. Question now is, with a national strike in full swing, and likely to continue until the weekend, can we expect a visit soon from a technician, and if so what are the chances of finding a store open for any replacement spare parts? Watch this space. Never a dull moment living in France..........
Old Dec 5th 2019, 8:26 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje
Thanks for this very useful info !
I was just about to ask if the taxoffice would be open tomorrow. (Still haven't heard back from them).
Does one assume it will only last 1 day or (being France) will the strike go on on Friday ? (Hope not, only have 2 days clear next week and on 1 of those the tax office is not open ... ).
According to the link in tp's post, the CGT announces the Fonctionnaires' strike on 5th December "and the days following, up to 5th January" If it's urgent, ring your Tax Ofice tomorrow, to find out whether the other unions are continuing the strike or not.
On another note, the village Primary school is closed, with no provision for looking after the children, but all schools in the area have always gone on strike at the drop of a hat. I remember 1995 when I was trying to work at home with two bored daughters mooching around for weeks....
Old Dec 5th 2019, 8:35 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
And last night our central heating boiler decided to go t*ts-up, and sprung an important leak. Called our plumbing service early this morning and explained the problem. They said they would send someone asap when a technician is available. Wonder if that will be today.
Been shivering ever since we got up and at breakfast in the kitchen. Then all of a sudden Mme TP made a brilliant announcement, rare for her. "We had a 2 split-level aircon units installed three years ago which we were told can also be used in heat mode, let's try it!"
Embarrased that she thought of that and I didn't, I then searched-out/read through the instruction booklet to see how to reprogram the unit to heat mode. Five minutes later with the unit modulating perfectly, we were as warm as toast, and I really had no idea that those units - a Mitsubishu, were so effective.
The sun's now streaming through the SE-facing living room bay window and warming, so for the time being I've shut-off the heat system. Question now is, with a national strike in full swing, and likely to continue until the weekend, can we expect a visit soon from a technician, and if so what are the chances of finding a store open for any replacement spare parts? Watch this space. Never a dull moment living in France..........
Well done, Mme TP!
"Normally", artisans and the private sector don't go on strike - they would lose clients if they did. Having said that, I've been waiting for weeks for the plumber to come to check my boiler and sweep the chimney, but he's almost got the monopoly in my neck of the woods and deals with more urgent work first.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 8:38 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Well done, Mme TP!
"Normally", artisans and the private sector don't go on strike - they would lose clients if they did. Having said that, I've been waiting for weeks for the plumber to come to check my boiler and sweep the chimney, but he's almost got the monopoly in my neck of the woods and deals with more urgent work first.
Why not sweep the chimney yourself and save a few bob? Chimneys here are so much easier than chimneys in the U.K. and can be done quite quickly. If you can't because of some physical problem then obviously you can't, but otherwise!!
Old Dec 5th 2019, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Just loved that last post.
Not sure how many folks read this forum, but hand's up all those who DIY chimney sweep.
Of course it's possible, but I'd far rather call someone out and forego the eventual cost of a restaurant meal with wine than DIY and get filthy in the process.
Some important points that KJMW omitted were:
Yes, I believe one is allowed to sweep one's own chimney in France and yes it will certainly improve the draft of the chimney, but as far as I understand, it does not exempt you from calling out a professional who is obliged to write out a certificate de ramonage on completion. The latter is essential to maintain one's insurance cover in the case of a disaster. I'm no expert and there may be exceptions, but it's always worth while to check with your insurer and the municipality.
Having said that, I'll bet my life savings that DMU will not be sweeping the chimney herself. In the unlikely event that I'm underestimating her - and consequently risk bankcruptcy, in order for me to 'pay-up', DMU could you please take several photos of yourself performing the task. And just a friendly tip, do not do this yourself on Christmas eve, as there is a very serious risk of you getting your herisson stuck up Father Christmas's back passage, which would result in him rapidly retracing his tracks and yourself not getting your pressies delivered - which would be a great shame.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Dec 5th 2019 at 9:50 am.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 9:53 am
Banned

Not sure how many folks read this forum, but hand's up all those who DIY chimney sweep.
Of course it's possible, but I'd far rather call someone out and forego the eventual cost of a restaurant meal with wine than DIY and get filthy in the process.
Some important points that KJMW omitted was:
Yes, I believe one is allowed to sweep one's own chimney in France and yes it will certainly improve the draft of the chimney, but as far as I understand, it does not exempt you from calling out a professional who is obliged to write out a certificate de ramonage on completion. The latter is essential to maintain one's insurance cover in the case of a disaster. I'm no expert and there may be exceptions, but it's always worth while to check with your insurer and the municipality.
Honestly, there is no need to get even dirty, let alone filthy! Of course you can clean your own chimney, or anyone else's come to that. I also clean my neighbours (the glass or two after is lovely!!) As regards the certificate, you are absolutely correct. The point often missed is that if the chimney is clean there can't be a disaster!! If it is clean it can't catch alight can it? And you have saved yourself maybe a hundred euros or so.

It is only DIY and I feel sure many do DIY. Because it is unfamiliar I suppose is why people shy away from it. It really is quite easy.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 9:55 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Having said that, I'll bet my life savings that DMU will not be sweeping the chimney herself. In the unlikely event that I'm underestimating her - and consequently risk bankcruptcy, in order for me to 'pay-up', DMU could you please take several photos of yourself performing the task. And just a friendly tip, do not do this yourself on Christmas eve, as there is a very serious risk of you getting your herisson stuck up Father Christmas's back passage, which would result in him rapidly retracing his tracks and yourself not getting your pressies delivered - which would be a great shame.

Love your humour. Now stuck with the image that you have described so clearly.

Rosemary
Old Dec 5th 2019, 10:33 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This has made my day, thank you!! And your life-savings are intact... Santa Claus has found it difficult to get in via the insert since it was installed, and pressies have been that much smaller ever since....
On a serious note, OH always insisted on a professional cleaning the chimney, for insurance purposes, and our particular plumber was the one who installed our Butagaz-fired boiler in conjunction with the log fire, and sees to both at the same time (when he eventually turns up)..
And now, back to the Grève....
Old Dec 5th 2019, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Love your humour. Now stuck with the image that you have described so clearly.

Rosemary
To give a little more substance to that image stuck in your mind, I couldn't help myself in just adding a post to the 'Bad Joke' forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.