Reload this Page >

Best solutions for french/english couple

Best solutions for french/english couple

Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Lyll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best solutions for french/english couple

Hi,

We are a french/english couple with a child. Dean works as self employed in england and comes back 3 days in France. I live in France with our child but do not work. My social security rights are running out.
I have two questions.
What have we got to do for me to benefit from Dean's NHS equivalent in France?
What do we have to do tax wise (I mean what is the best thing to do so that we do not pay to much tax)? I am not taxable in France since I do not have revenues.
We are not 'legally' concubines since he does not live here full time.
Do we need to declare ourselves as such? What are the consequences taxwise?
Any help will be very welcome
Old Dec 17th 2010, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all
Default Re: Best solutions for french/english couple

If you are French, living in France with a child, and with no income at all, then the best thing for you to do should be to throw yourself at the mercy of the French state, as a single mother without any form of income. You don't need to bring Dean into the equation for the time being.

Have you ever worked in France? Do you have a French social security number? What do you mean when you say "my social security rights are running out"?

I would have thought that as a single mother, (unless there are other factors in the equation, such as for instance, you living at your parents?), you could claim RSA (Revenu de Solidarité Active) - which would automatically entitle you to CMU B & C - and give you and your child 100% health cover. Have you checked with the assistante sociale at your local CCAS (Centre Communal d'Action Sociale)? She/he should be able to help you.

But there is no need to mention Dean at the moment, or this could seriously complicate matters for you. As you say, you are not legally concubines, and he is only with you part of the time. Is he still officially resident in the UK? And are you yourself, now, officially resident in France?

Last edited by karunia; Dec 17th 2010 at 5:34 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Expats is an unknown quantity at this point

i never had such a good idea
useful, thank you
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all

You're welcome. Good luck, and keep us informed - the outcome could be useful to others in the future.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Sorry but what has been suggested is downright dishonest and could very possibly have serious repurcussions further down the road. What are you going to tell them about your childs father for instance, that he has abandoned you and is not supporting you? If you go down that route then unless you plan to live the life of a single mum on state benefits, how will you explain your actual lifestyle.

Presumably you have a house or you rent somewhere reasonably comfortable to live in, who's name is that in, what about the taxes and utilities ?

Got a 1/2 decent car, how can you afford that ?

Not quite the circumstances a destitute single mum might be expected to be in are they and if you plan to remain in France then looking over your shoulder every day is hardly the best way to start is it ?

A better and perfectly upfront approach would be for Dean to try and get an E109 or E106 out of HMRC which would legitimately cover both, or all of you, via CPAM.

Whether he can get one or not will depend on several factors, exactly how he works in UK and specifically how he is paying NI for instance. Although you are not married having a child with you will help establish you as his dependants. At any rate there is nothing to be lost by him speaking with HMRC and asking, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/index.htm

If he is refused it will not affect the other 'plan', if you can call it that, but either way it will place you in a very difficult and precarious position. Can you afford to pay for private health insurance because that is what it could well boil down to.

Regarding tax, if he is paying it in UK then under the dual tax treaty he won't be expected to pay again in France so that need not enter into the question of how you provide for your health care at all.

Last edited by Im_and_Er; Dec 19th 2010 at 7:50 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:35 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lyll
If you're French, surely you know all about your rights in France or can find out? Even if you've been living in the UK and had your child in the UK, you must be used to the French System since birth. And since your S.S. rights, whatever they are, are running out, you are in the System. A visit to your CPAM/CAF office seems to be in order.
But, as mentioned above, you must be honest about your situation, if only to avoid a bad conscience that I for one, as a taxpayer helping to balance the S.S. deficit, may be contributing to your wellbeing at the same time as your partner is.