Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Looking for legislation - vacataire primary employer hours

Looking for legislation - vacataire primary employer hours

Old Sep 6th 2017, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Looking for legislation - vacataire primary employer hours

I am wondering if you can help. I am searching for the legislation that allows a vacataire to work after 300 hours of teaching for a main employer, instead of 900 hours non-teaching. My wife needs to help prove this is legally permitted in order to gain work at a university.

I have found the related décret where the 900 hours of non-teaching is mentioned but I can not find the legislation mentioning the 300 hours.

Do you know where the 300 hour clause is defined? Maybe it is derived from something more complex?
Old Sep 6th 2017, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for legislation - vacataire primary employer hours

I think it may have been suppressed recently.

https://www.parisnanterre.fr/non-tit...jsp#question_3

"- Comment les heures de face � face pédagogique sont-elles comptabilisées ?

Il était précédemment considéré que lorsqu’un vacataire justifiait d’une activité de 300 heures de face � face pédagogique, ce nombre pouvait être multiplié par 3 et donc lui permettre de remplir la condition des 900h.
Le Ministère de l’Enseignement Supérieur a récemment rappelé que cet usage était contraire aux dispositions du décret de 1987, et ne devait plus s’appliquer.
Tout vacataire salarié doit donc justifier de 900 heures de travail effectives."
Old Sep 7th 2017, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Thank you EuroTrash. Good to finally have an answer. Sadly my wife will not be able to work for one of the local universities this year.

I have been stunned at how difficult it is for university departments to take on staff. The removal of the 300 hour interpretation will likely cause many problems.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I get the impression that some universities have adopted a policy of turning a blind eye and a deaf ear to the change. Might be worth your wife trying somewhere else...
Old Oct 10th 2017, 8:00 am
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never really understood how universities can take on non qualified english language teachers.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

The universities we have dealt with require qualified teachers, but only teachers who already have a principle employer.

Last edited by graham.miln; Oct 11th 2017 at 9:41 am. Reason: Remove ambiguity.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 1:18 pm
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in Grenoble if you have your own business(for a certain amount of years) you can also teach.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 6:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by howiet01
Here in Grenoble if you have your own business(for a certain amount of years) you can also teach.
I don't think it's a matter of whether you are qualified to teach or not. The universities don't want to pay the cotisations associated with being the principal employer so they make sure their part time teachers have another job first.

Would having your own business work for this? Maybe? I do know people who are self employed yet teach their subject in english in the business school in Toulouse, so probably.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

SENG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I don't think it's a matter of whether you are qualified to teach or not. The universities don't want to pay the cotisations associated with being the principal employer so they make sure their part time teachers have another job first.

Would having your own business work for this? Maybe? I do know people who are self employed yet teach their subject in english in the business school in Toulouse, so probably.
So I started teaching english as a vacataire at the local university this October. The interview to recruit me took about 5 minutes by phone, but the admin to prove that I was eligible to be employed as a vacataire took much longer. I set up as an autoentrepreneur in 2013, and I had to justify 3 years of turnover, so I qualified as 'owning my own business'. I think the whole gig is kind of a bullshit way for the universities to get cheap labour, a vacataire costs about one fifth of a 'titulaire'. When you eventually get paid, you will take home 33 euros per hour for a seminar, but all preparation, correction, setting papers etc will be unpaid. On the plus side, it will give me some teaching experience at that level. I am an engineer and not a qualified teacher, but it is working out well so far.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

SENG is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting back to the OP, your wife can set herself up as an autoentrepreneur (easy, online) and invoice her hours directly to third level institutions, or even second level, or propose her services at the local periscolaire to teach english. Failing that, an ad for one to one lessons in the boncoin will get you 20 E straight into the pocket, or so I am told..... You cab also get recruited on a part time basis (30hrs per year) at different companies as an outside trainer, so many possibilities exist, as long as you dont have to depend on it as the main source of income.