Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

BBCi player on Humax Foxsat

BBCi player on Humax Foxsat

Old Aug 16th 2015, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute
Default BBCi player on Humax Foxsat

Hi

Yesterday I was flicking through the channels on my Humax Foxsat HDR and came across the BBCi player and ITV player. I know that you can't get access to these channels from abroad but being a bit curious, I linked up the ethernet cable to the network plug behind the TV. The ITV player works OK but the BBC i doesn't. I choose then what I want to watch but just before it starts I get a message saying :

"This content doesn't seem to be working try again later"

I was quite surprised that I could have working access to these channels, as online it usually tells you more or less straight away that the service is only available to people in the UK - maybe it has something to do with having a UK postcode registered in the Humax?

Does anybody know why The i player wont work? And would there be anyway of solving this issue?

Thanks
Le P
Old Aug 16th 2015, 8:44 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBCi player on Humax Foxsat

Originally Posted by le plumber
Hi

Yesterday I was flicking through the channels on my Humax Foxsat HDR and came across the BBCi player and ITV player. I know that you can't get access to these channels from abroad but being a bit curious, I linked up the ethernet cable to the network plug behind the TV. The ITV player works OK but the BBC i doesn't. I choose then what I want to watch but just before it starts I get a message saying :

"This content doesn't seem to be working try again later"

I was quite surprised that I could have working access to these channels, as online it usually tells you more or less straight away that the service is only available to people in the UK - maybe it has something to do with having a UK postcode registered in the Humax?

Does anybody know why The i player wont work? And would there be anyway of solving this issue?

Thanks
Le P
Yes iPlayer doesn't work because of your location but if you were to change your dns settings to one of the smart dns services iPlayer would work fine.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Yes iPlayer doesn't work because of your location but if you were to change your dns settings to one of the smart dns services iPlayer would work fine.
Thanks for that! Is it a simple thing to do to change those DNS settings to Smart DNS?

Just of curiosity, do you know why ITV player works?
Old Aug 18th 2015, 4:24 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by le plumber
Thanks for that! Is it a simple thing to do to change those DNS settings to Smart DNS?

Just of curiosity, do you know why ITV player works?
Because there is not much worth watching on ITV so it's opened up to a wider audience to boost ratings.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 6:31 pm
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Found this on the digital spy website; Freesat & freetime+ in rural France - Freesat+ Recorders - Digital Spy Forums

Let me know if it works please!

I have a Humax HB-1000s here in France (near Paris on 100Mbit broadband).
All services working including HD iPlayer. Here is how...
The Humax ethernet port is connected to a 2nd router/wifi box (TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v1). This router/wifi box is connected to the internet on my ISP router/wifi box (BBOX).
On the 2nd router, I have configured to automatically connect to my VPN service, this means any device, wifi or wired that is connected to my 2nd router appears on a UK IP address, no need to set anything on the Humax box, it's just set to the default setup 'out of the box' when I bought it.
Not all router/wifi boxes support connecting to a VPN service.
I pay 2 quid/month to rent a virtual server for my VPN which I setup myself on a linux but if you pay a little bit more you can get a VPN service