Wikiposts

Bank Accounts/Finances

Old Oct 11th 2015, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Neil 1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank Accounts/Finances

Hi Everyone
Need advice about bank accounts.
I'm in the process of buying a property near Bellac in the Limousin. I really want to sort a bank account before moving, so I can set up direct debits, withdraw cash, use the carte bleu etc. However it's proving to be quite difficult as I don't own the property yet so have no paperwork that they require.
I'm thinking it's just best to wait until I've moved and own the property, and deal in cash until then?
What did everyone else do?
Old Oct 11th 2015, 9:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Accounts/Finances

Originally Posted by Neil 1969
Hi Everyone
Need advice about bank accounts.
I'm in the process of buying a property near Bellac in the Limousin. I really want to sort a bank account before moving, so I can set up direct debits, withdraw cash, use the carte bleu etc. However it's proving to be quite difficult as I don't own the property yet so have no paperwork that they require.
I'm thinking it's just best to wait until I've moved and own the property, and deal in cash until then?
What did everyone else do?
One way to do this (the way that I used) is to open an HSBC account in your home country, I presume the UK in your case.

They will open a French account for you for a reasonable fee, or for nothing if you are a Premier account holder.

HSBC branches are rare in France but you can do everything online.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Have you talked to somebody at the bank and asked them what they suggest? Crédit Agricole (not Britline) accepted the compromis de vente along with copies of UK bank statements etc (I'm saying 'etc' because I can't remember what else they asked for, but it wasn't a problem).
I believe that Britline will open an account for you on the basis of a UK address, in anticipation of moving to France.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Credit Agricole just asked me for a "attestation de domicile" - which could be a letter from notaire, or in my case a hand written note from the Mairie.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that was in addition to UK (or in my case Spanish) bank statements.
Depending on your French, Britline may be worth talking to as ET says, as they operate for us "Brits". Although I believe (may be wrong) that they operate fewer services.
I bet they still try to sell you insurance though!
Old Oct 11th 2015, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

We opened an non-resident account with Credit Agricole using our UK address and producing all the required documents.We produced a compromis de vente and the other documents that were listed on their website.We had to show proof of UK income and tax paid i.e. recent payslip or P60.We needed passports and birth certificates. (possibly marriage cert.)Recent bank statements.Please note that it is normal in France to get a bank cheque (as distinct from a personal cheque) for payments like deposits or car purchase.
Have a look at the Credit Agricole website - even if you don't use them eventually.Good luck
Old Oct 11th 2015, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

GrahamTree is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Neil,
we're in the same situ as you as we don't take possession of the property until 21 Jan. We opened an account with Credit Agricole and received a bank card with our UK address. She did it there and then and we picked up the card a week later. The pin and other stuff was posted to our UK address.
We also arranged insurance through them to start on 31 Jan 2016 which you need before you go to the Notaire. We were in France though, and just needed our passports although I took utility bills just in case. Whether you can do it remotely without actually going to the branch I don't know.
You could go a few days early and do it then, face to face in your local branch.
Hope that helps.
Graham
Old Oct 11th 2015, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

GrahamTree is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Neil, I was just visiting CA to see if the online account worked, and noticed they have a branch in London - could be worth a call.
Address: Broadwalk House 5 Appold Street, London EC2A 2DA
Phone: 020 7214 5000
Old Oct 11th 2015, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GrahamTree
Hi Neil, I was just visiting CA to see if the online account worked, and noticed they have a branch in London - could be worth a call.
Address: Broadwalk House 5 Appold Street, London EC2A 2DA
Phone: 020 7214 5000

Thanks mate, and to everyone else. Unfortunately they don't open accounts there and as the lady on the phone rather sniffily pointed out "we're not even open to the public" - bet if I had a sawn off and a balaclava they would be open to the public
Old Oct 12th 2015, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks mate, and to everyone else. Unfortunately they don't open accounts there and as the lady on the phone rather sniffily pointed out "we're not even open to the public" - bet if I had a sawn off and a balaclava they would be open to the public
Old Oct 12th 2015, 1:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... as the lady on the phone rather sniffily pointed out "we're not even open to the public" - bet if I had a sawn off and a balaclava they would be open to the public. ......
You'd be daft to try, it's just an office building with computers. The only cash you'd find there would be in the wallets and purses of the employees.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You'd be daft to try, it's just an office building with computers. The only cash you'd find there would be in the wallets and purses of the employees.
Having money in computers seems to work okay for central banks. Maybe the rest of us should have a go.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 1:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Having money in computers seems to work okay for central banks. Maybe the rest of us should have a go.
It's where I keep mine, where do you keep yours? Under the mattress?

This year I have gone from drawing $20 a month in cash (which has been normal for the past decade) to drawing $40-$60 in cash to pay little Miss P some pocket money.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

True.
You can steal far more with a mouse nowadays than with a shotgun.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A few pens and a pack of Post-It notes and I'd be happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.