Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Attestatin d'Accueil (proof of accommodation)

Attestatin d'Accueil (proof of accommodation)

Old May 15th 2021, 7:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Attestatin d'Accueil (proof of accommodation)

I hope I'm not being guilty of plagiarism, but I've just read on another Forum that non-EU citizens applying for a short-term Visa to visit France need to provide an Attestation d'Accueil signed by the person who'll be accommodating them during the 90 days allowed by the Visa. This can't be done on-line. The landlord/host must obtain the document, as per this link:
https://www.formulaires.service-publ...cerfa_10798.do
from their Mairie and send it to the Visa applicant who'll add it to their application.
N.B. Sections 3 and 4 on the Attestation where they have to commit themselves to certain "expenses" incurred by the visitor and left unpaid. An AirBnB/Gîte/B&B might be reticent to committing themselves in Section 3, although family and friends would have more confidence, and normally every one would tick Section 4. (1). Adequate resources and healthcare/travel insurance for the duration are therefore confirmed in the Administration's eyes....
This Attestation seems to imply more careful programming when booking travel, than that required for complying with the Covid regulations.....
Fore-warned is fore-armed....
P.S. No idea what happens for those who don't intend to stay put in one place for the duration...

Last edited by dmu; May 15th 2021 at 7:45 am.
Old May 15th 2021, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attestatin d'Accueil (proof of accommodation)

Confused. You don't need a visa for less than 90 days in any 180 day period.
You do have to have certain documents which are found on the French govt website.
If you are visiting France in a professional capacity then you need to show details of your host.
According to your link, it appears that you need to present that document with your visa application.
It contains two check boxes labelled " visa accepté" and "visa réfusé"

Do I need a visa?

Last edited by cyrian; May 15th 2021 at 8:27 am. Reason: addition
Old May 15th 2021, 9:46 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Confused. You don't need a visa for less than 90 days in any 180 day period.
You do have to have certain documents which are found on the French govt website.
If you are visiting France in a professional capacity then you need to show details of your host.
According to your link, it appears that you need to present that document with your visa application.
I " visa acceptt contains two check boxes labelledé" and "visa réfusé"

Do I need a visa?
Now I'm confused. I thought a Visa is necessary, as indicated in:

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2191

Not filling in any questionnaires since I'm not concerned by the issue, I can't comment more. I simply started the thread to warn future non-EU visitors of this latest discovery which in fact doesn't seem to cover all situations.
For example, do second-home owners have to give some justification, when applying for the 90-day visa, that they haven't got a landlord or host to issue this Attestation?
And, as already mentioned, what about people who want to tour around the country?
(P.S. The "visa accepté" and "visa refusé" are in the section to be ticked by the Consulate after the Attestation has been submitted. Sorry for the jumble created when I wanted to highlight the question in red...)

Old May 15th 2021, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there's quite a fuss about this on other forums and social media.
For visits of less than 90 days in 180 no visa is necessary for Brits but the rule is that they must have this attestation d'accueil.
Those wanting to visit for over 90 days in 180 need a visa and I don't think they need the attestation as well, I think it's one or t'other, but I could be wrong on that.
Old May 15th 2021, 10:46 am
Just Joined

notgrampa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Now I'm confused. I thought a Visa is necessary, as indicated in:

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2191

Not filling in any questionnaires since I'm not concerned by the issue, I can't comment more. I simply started the thread to warn future non-EU visitors of this latest discovery which in fact doesn't seem to cover all situations.
For example, do second-home owners have to give some justification, when applying for the 90-day visa, that they haven't got a landlord or host to issue this Attestation?
And, as already mentioned, what about people who want to tour around the country?
(P.S. The "visa accepté" and "visa refusé" are in the section to be ticked by the Consulate after the Attestation has been submitted. Sorry for the jumble created when I wanted to highlight the question in red...)
Well according to this site the withdrawl agreement states you do not need a visa. Confused ? I am !

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/w...e-visas/brexit
Old May 15th 2021, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Brits are at liberty to spend up to 90 days in a rolling period of 180 days in Schengen without a visa, . They don't need a visa if they holiday in France or other EU countries for less than 3 months, once a year. But there are certain documents that they do need.
If they want to spend longer than 90/180 in Schengen, they do need a visa.
Old May 15th 2021, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I completed the visa (less than 90 days) form from the link I posted above.
It stated that I did not need a visa.
Visitors may require a visa if they are not citizens of countries which are exempt.
e.g. US citizens do not require a visa for tourist visits of less than 3 months.
This is a list of the possible documents required from that website:
The following supporting documents must be presented at the request of the Border Police upon your arrival in France:
  • A valid passport issued less than 10 years before and valid for at least 3 months after the envisaged departure date;
  • A valid visa, if required;
  • Proof of accommodation covering the whole duration of the stay (hotel reservation and/or certificate of staying with a relative validated in the town hall);
  • Sufficient financial means. The means of subsistence shall be assessed according to the duration and purpose of the stay and by reference to the average prices for accommodation and food in the Member States;
  • Your return ticket or the financial means to acquire one at the envisaged return date;
  • Any document providing details on the profession or the capacity of the traveller as well as on the establishments or organisations located in France which are expecting you, if you are on a professional trip.
  • You must have an insurance certificate covering all medical and hospital expenses for which you may be liable for the duration of your stay in France, as well as medical repatriation costs and expenses in the event of death.
For travellers in transit, you must be able to present proof of satisfying the entry conditions in the final destination country (conditions of stay and accommodation during transit, continuation ticket and visa for the destination country).
Old May 15th 2021, 1:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Brits are at liberty to spend up to 90 days in a rolling period of 180 days in Schengen without a visa, . They don't need a visa if they holiday in France or other EU countries for less than 3 months, once a year. But there are certain documents that they do need.
If they want to spend longer than 90/180 in Schengen, they do need a visa.

Fair enough.
In my defence, I had understood from the recent Service-Public link, that all potential non-EU (= British) visitors had to apply for a Visa. The S-P link indicates that "European" citizens are exempt from Visas to France, but the UK isn't mentioned in the list of "European" (i.e. EU) countries exempted.
IMO the site should have listed the exempted countries and all this confusion would have been avoided. I'll now retire from this thread! Sorry for any errors and confusion.
Old May 19th 2021, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi dmu,
In The Connexion, is says that there is conflicting information from official sources regarding the Attestatin d'Accueil (proof of accommodation).
If the official sources are confused then it is not surprising that mere citizens are confused.
The article says that this document is part of the visa application process and applies only to those visitors who require short-term Schengen visas.
It states that this does not include UK nationals.

HTH
Old May 20th 2021, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

I would take everything you read in The Connexion with a pinch of salt It most certainly DOES APPLY to British Nationals
https://www.fr24news.com/fr/a/2021/0...e%20formulaire.

My Mairie says that the ADA applies to my relatives and friends staying with me so as far as I am concerned that is good enough for me
Old May 20th 2021, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Fr24 article you quote also quotes The Connexion.
Extract from Fr24 article:
"Mais encore une fois, dans la pratique, les commentaires des lecteurs montrent que cela s’applique principalement aux personnes venant de pays qui ont besoin de visas Schengen pour de courtes vacances – ce qui n’est pas le cas du Royaume-Uni."
"Si vous êtes un ressortissant britannique venant passer des vacances en France, vous pouvez être très prudent et avoir une preuve de votre réservation d’hôtel à portée de main (vous l’aurez probablement avec vous dans tous les cas) ou demandez à votre hôte d’envoyer un e-mail en français qui vous pouvez imprimer, vous invitant à rester avec eux à leur adresse, avec les dates d’arrivée et de départ si définies."

Old May 20th 2021, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Extract from the French govt. Brexit page:

Direct link to annex 1 of the Brexit document

Listed under Questions les plus fréquentes

Pour des voyages à caractère touristique ou privé:

— une invitation de l’hôte, en cas d’hébergement chez une personne privée,

— une pièce justificative de l’établissement d’hébergement ou tout autre document approprié indiquant le type d’hébergement envisagé;

i) justificatifs concernant l’hébergement:

— la confirmation de la réservation d’un voyage organisé ou tout autre document approprié indiquant le programme de voyage envisagé;

ii) justificatifs concernant l’itinéraire:

— un billet de retour ou un billet circulaire;

Old May 21st 2021, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...ts/F2191#1_6_2

This explains everything you need to know
Old May 21st 2021, 8:44 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully

im not sure how that link gets translated into English but it spells miscellaneous as miscelanious.
Old May 22nd 2021, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully

The document is dated "Vérifié le 22 octobre 2019 - Direction de l'information légale et administrative (Premier ministre)"
I think that the Brexit document (which is available in French and English) supersedes that.
This is a common problem in France where you visit one official office (e.g. a prefecture and get one response) and then another office gives another response.
I will give my family a letter giving my name and address and the dates of their visit and a justificatif de domicile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.