Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Arriving near Issigeac September - lots of questions I need help with!

Arriving near Issigeac September - lots of questions I need help with!

Old Aug 13th 2018, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

stephaniebrun is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Arriving near Issigeac September - lots of questions I need help with!

Hello there. I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if I post in the wrong place, or do anything else I shouldn't!

I've purchased a lovely house a few km from Issigeac and I complete in early September. Sadly I can't make the move permanent yet, so it will just be a holiday home for a few years. I have some 'moving in' questions though that I was hoping that someone can help with.

1. I complete on a Thursday (my notaire is signing for me) and arrive on a Saturday. Is there any way I can set up my utilities before I arrive, as I've got a horrible feeling I'll be without water or electricity!

2. Sadly I'm only in France for the week, and probably won't have a chance to return until Spring/Summer. I'm very aware that termites can be an issue and I'd like to have the house sprayed (I know it doesn't have termites yet, but don't want to make a costly mistake). Does anyone have a number for a reputable local company, and how much does this generally cost? Also, is it safe to be staying in the house when it's done, and how often does it need spraying?

3. I can't move permanently for a few years, so will just be holidaying whenever possible. Is there anything I can do within the next couple of years to help ensure that I can live in France after Brexit? I know it's all an unknown quantity, but I wondered if there was any paperwork I could complete to get the ball rolling even when I don't live in the country? I suspect not, but I thought it was worth asking. (I'm heading to the Marie as soon as I can to introduce myself, hopefully this will be the start of me getting to know the local community).

4. I've bought some of the house contents, so I have beds, sofas and a kitchen table, but I will be needing to buy some inexpensive garden furniture, BBQ etc. Is the best bet a Leclerc? I believe there's one in Bergerac? Oh, and I need a lawnmower, would that be from a Brico?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

I'm excited and terrified!

Stephanie
Old Aug 13th 2018, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving near Issigeac September - lots of questions I need help with!

Firstly, welcome to the forum!
Ref your par. 1. Do I understand that you are getting the notaire to sign the house contract in your absence? If so that is extremely unwise, as one must firmly understand all pertinant details, ask questions on anything which isn't clear prior to signing in order to avoid potential problems later on. My apologies if I've misunderstood, but it sounds as if you plan to arrive in France 2 days later, just after the contract is signed.
Can't help too much with par. 2 except to say Google 'Traitement anti-termites Perigord' or look under yellow pages. I would expect a property to be left empty for approx 24-48 hrs following full anti-termite treatment for health safety issues. Having said that, the seller is normally obliged to provide a certificate to confirm that the property is clean/free from termites and other nuisibles. There are essential issues to ensure prior to any property purchase in France (or elsewhere), this being just one of many.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Aug 13th 2018 at 9:39 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving near Issigeac September - lots of questions I need help with!

Hi
Can't help with the region-specific questions.
As regards utilities, if the house was occupied up to changing hands, you might be able to arrange with the seller to leave the water and electric and you take them over. The seller would need to notify the final readings and you would need to take out contracts in your name and confirm the readings. That's what I did.
As regards Brexit, it's all to do with residence and owning a holiday home while you still live in the UK obviouslly doesn't count as residing in France, so there's nothing you can do at this stage. Just enjoy your new place when you get chance, good luck with it all.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
As TP said, the current owner should have provided proof of existing termite treatment and guarantee.
Do you have a french bank account?
If you do then sorting out utilities is easier - they will ask for an RIB (bank details) and set up direct debits.
We do everything with direct debits including Taxe d'habitation and Taxe foncière.
You need to have several documents including birth certificates; marriage certificates; passports; current bank details including statements and proof of income and tax paid. e.g. current payslips and previous P60. You also need a document to confirm your (intended) property purchase.
You can check for a list of documents on the Britline website but I would also suggest using a local bank.
I would consider a bank account and utilities to be the immediate priorities and termite treatment a bit less of a priority.
You would be advised to get a few estimates (devis) for termite treatment otherwise you could be ripped off.
HTH