Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Argelès-sur-Mer

Argelès-sur-Mer

Old Dec 13th 2021, 8:39 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Argelès-sur-Mer

Since I am considering going there for a few weeks, can anyone tell me whether this place is sort of lively during the winter ?
At least a few restaurants would be nice ...
Thanks in advance.

Old Dec 13th 2021, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Argelès-sur-Mer

Only passed in winter a few years ago as we have a place 130 km further across the border, though I'd say a lot of it will seem dead in winter, depending what you expect with lively:-)
You'll find some restaurants open and
can sometimes be lucky with weather but that part of the coast often gets hit by strong winds during winter, so can feel cooler.
No idea how it is with Covid now.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje
Since I am considering going there for a few weeks, can anyone tell me whether this place is sort of lively during the winter ?
At least a few restaurants would be nice ...
Thanks in advance.
Hi Annetje
A good friend has a place up the coast in Leucate and says it's dead as a doornail in winter. I suspect Argelès-sur-Mer is the same.
Come to Strasbourg!
Old Dec 13th 2021, 2:52 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Hi Annetje
A good friend has a place up the coast in Leucate and says it's dead as a doornail in winter. I suspect Argelès-sur-Mer is the same.
Come to Strasbourg!
+1
When DDs were young, we spent a few days in Argelès-sur-Mer in the winter. The weather was good, and we walked along the beach, visited Perpignan and the Salses Fortress, explored the Têt valley, but even if some restaurants were open, there was nothing else to do in the evenings but play cards, before early nights (we were in a hotel, pre-AirBnB).... OK for a few days, but a few weeks? In these Covid-times, the town is probably even deader in the winter. If you wanted the Golfe de Lion, going eastwards, nothing is "lively" until you get to a seaside town S/S.E. of Montpellier (not even sure whether they can be considered "lively" in winter), or Marseille....
Old Dec 13th 2021, 6:10 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all of you for your info. I think I'll look elsewhere but I don't want to go too far, hence Argelès which is just 550Km for me.
It's mainly the wind warning that puts me off I hate windy weather ...
Anyway, thanks again !
Old Dec 14th 2021, 6:35 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all of you for your info. I think I'll look elsewhere but I don't want to go too far, hence Argelès which is just 550Km for me.
It's mainly the wind warning that puts me off I hate windy weather ...
Anyway, thanks again !
I forgot to confirm the Tramontane which blows as far as the Gard....
If you want the seaside, why not the BAB area down south? or Bretagne?
Old Dec 14th 2021, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It can still be nice and Bretagne would be even more of a risk when it comes to wind and rain. At the end of the day it's winter and sometimes you can be lucky but it will probably be dead:-)
Once you pass the Gulf of Roses you usually get less wind and 140 km further is nothing really and you are nearly in Barcelona. Sunny in Lloret too this morning and more sheltered.

Old Dec 14th 2021, 10:16 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It can still be nice and Bretagne would be even more of a risk when it comes to wind and rain. At the end of the day it's winter and sometimes you can be lucky but it will probably be dead:-)
Once you pass the Gulf of Roses you usually get less wind and 140 km further is nothing really and you are nearly in Barcelona. Sunny in Lloret too this morning and more sheltered.
That does look very inviting. Thanks for that.
Also, I never knew there was a Gulf of Roses
One learns something every day !

I just try to find a bit of warmer weather where one can enjoy long walks and find a coffee and/or lunch afterwards.
Where I am now in the Charente Maritime the forecast is not too bad but all the villages along the coast have shut down for the winter and I mean really shut down.
Today the sun is out and there is a feeling of spring in the air (Optimistic or what) so the idea of driving a long way with a nervous dog in the car is slowly fading.
We'll see how it works out. I can always make a last minute decision (advantage of being on my own I suppose).

Thanks again for all info !

Old Dec 14th 2021, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That does look very inviting. Thanks for that.
Also, I never knew there was a Gulf of Roses
One learns something every day !

I just try to find a bit of warmer weather where one can enjoy long walks and find a coffee and/or lunch afterwards.
Where I am now in the Charente Maritime the forecast is not too bad but all the villages along the coast have shut down for the winter and I mean really shut down.
Today the sun is out and there is a feeling of spring in the air (Optimistic or what) so the idea of driving a long way with a nervous dog in the car is slowly fading.
We'll see how it works out. I can always make a last minute decision (advantage of being on my own I suppose).

Thanks again for all info !
I suppose you could just see how it goes and book one night somewhere like Banyuls-sur-Mer in France. See how it goes and with a car you are flexible anyway, so can cross the border if it's not great and it won't be such a long journey with a break now and then. After Begur you have more bays that are protected and places like Sant Antoni de Calonge/Platja d'Aro have a nice seaside promenade and you might still have some life in the town.

Old Dec 15th 2021, 2:36 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Saint Malo is busier than Argelès-sur-Mer at this time of year but it’s a tad fresh.