Reload this Page >

Applying for School Children - PLEASE HELP

Applying for School Children - PLEASE HELP

Old Mar 24th 2019, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

LadyBell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for School Children - PLEASE HELP

Hi All,

We are in the middle of applying to for our long term Visa to France (Carte Sejour). We've scheduled our in person interview and are just now being told we need proof that our children are enrolled in school. (Did not see this through any of my research and was not listed at all on the Visa Wizard documentations list)

We are looking to enroll our children at Institution Notre Dame La Riche (L'ecole St Agnes). We have tried to reach out to them via the two email addresses provided on their website ( [email protected] and [email protected]) We have not heard a single thing back (Are we going to their spam with U.S. emails?)

Does anyone have ANY suggestions or know ANYONE at this school we could talk to? Maybe we should enroll them in local school and then apply at private school later?

How should we go about enrolling in local school? Contact the Marie via email or phone?

ANY and ALL help greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for School Children - PLEASE HELP

I don't know for sure and others who have had children in France will advise but I don't think that it works that way in the public sector.
I believe that it is the Mairie that tells you which school in your commune that the children will attend.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

LadyBell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi cyrian

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I believe the Marie does determine the school generally speaking. I will say Notre Dame La Riche is a private school where parents are required to pay tuition so I believe we go directly through them (not sure though, hoping some one here can advise)

We will hold until we hear from more people.

Has anyone connected with the Marie via email or phone?

Thanks in advance to any and all who can help!
Old Mar 26th 2019, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi LadyBell
I am not in France at the moment otherwise I could perhaps have been able to help you.
There is a Facebook site called Expat in Tours and perhaps there are some followers there with children who could help.
I also know several Americans (no kids) who live around Tours and may be good contacts when you arrive.

HTH
Old Apr 1st 2019, 10:14 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LadyBell
Hi cyrian

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I believe the Marie does determine the school generally speaking. I will say Notre Dame La Riche is a private school where parents are required to pay tuition so I believe we go directly through them (not sure though, hoping some one here can advise)

We will hold until we hear from more people.

Has anyone connected with the Marie via email or phone?

Thanks in advance to any and all who can help!
Hi, is Notre Dame La Riche a Primary or Secondary School? What age are your children?
AFAIK, you have to enrol at the Mairie of the Commune where you reside, even for private Primary Schools. This in turn involves proving your domicile (property deeds/rental receipts/utility bills) and providing proof of vaccinations. Insurance can be obtained once the children are enrolled.
FWIW, if your children are of secondary school age, my two went up to Secondary directly from Primary and the Admin. was done by the staff, but I believe newcomers (of whatever nationality) apply directly to a Collège (Secondary school). I'm not surprised that you haven't had a reply to your mails. Many professionals and administrations don't bother to reply. Better to write snail-mail or ring (if your French is up to it).
HTH
P.S. Sorry, just noticed "St Agnès", which is an "Ecole" (= Primary school). As said, you must enrol at the Mairie of the actual Commune where you reside. Ring the Mairie, but don't expect the staff to speak English!!

Last edited by dmu; Apr 1st 2019 at 10:20 am.