Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Applying for pensions(GB citizen worked in GB and France)

Applying for pensions(GB citizen worked in GB and France)

Old Apr 5th 2021, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Neil42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for pensions(GB citizen worked in GB and France)

Hi there,
I'm 65 this year and wondering how things will go when applying for pension next year as I've worked in England for 30 odd years and 2 years in Ireland(REP) then for 12 years in France.
I suppose Brexit is going to make things more complicated 😕
Anyone share my problem or have any idea?
Fun fact : I've phoned the pension dept in Durham... But they're on reduced working due to Covid and asked me to phone back at a later date....

Last edited by Neil42; Apr 5th 2021 at 1:23 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 12:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for pensions(GB citizen worked in GB and France)

Originally Posted by Neil42 View Post
Hi there,
I'm 65 this year and wondering how things will go when applying for pension as I've worked in England for 30 odd years and 2 years in Ireland(REP) then for 12 years in France.
Fun fact : I've phoned the pension dept in Durham... But they're on reduced working due to Covid and asked me to phone back at a later date....
Not sure whether you will receive your UK state pension at the age of 65 as I believe that the perimeters have changed over the past few years.

Rosemary
Old Apr 5th 2021, 12:46 pm
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Do you not have to wait until age 66 before claiming the UK state pension?

In any event, get your claim in in good time (up to 4 months before your qualifying date), my recent claim took 5 months to settle. As an expat you have a nice, fun filled form to fill in (26 pages), ensure to send it registered post (or equivalent). Once you have lodged your claim, Durham will take your call. It takes ages to get through but in fairness I found the agents very helpful.
​​​​​

Good luck!

Just crossed with Rosemary.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Neil

You can check your UK pension age online which will tell you when you will receive your State pension.
You can also ask for a pension estimate (separate search) and you can top up any shortfall in contributions.
This is not expensive and will improve your monthly pension over several years.
The DWP will need your current address to send you the documents at the appropriate time.
HTH
Old Apr 5th 2021, 1:12 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
I'm 65 this year and wondering how things will go when applying for pension as I've worked in England for 30 odd years and 2 years in Ireland(REP) then for 12 years in France.
No idea whether Brexit will complicate things.
You have to apply for your Pension in the last country where you worked. If you think you've done the necessary trimestres during your working life, and it sounds as though you have, then apply at your local Agence CRAM to trigger off the French part. The agent will check your eligibility by searching in the UK and Irish Pension Departments' data bases and adding up the trimestres. To my surprize, the work I did at weekends and school holidays were included in my employment background when I applied for my French Pension, so I could have stopped working a little earlier!
The three Pensions will eventually be paid by each country, separately.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
Not sure whether you will receive your UK state pension at the age of 65 as I believe that the perimeters have changed over the past few years.

Rosemary
Of course, I meant next year. Just edited the post!
Old Apr 5th 2021, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
You have to apply for your Pension in the last country where you worked. If you think you've done the necessary trimestres during your working life, and it sounds as though you have, then apply at your local Agence CRAM to trigger off the French part. The agent will check your eligibility by searching in the UK and Irish Pension Departments' data bases and adding up the trimestres. To my surprize, the work I did at weekends and school holidays were included in my employment background when I applied for my French Pension, so I could have stopped working a little earlier!
Thanks for your reply. Have you applied before or since Brexit?
Old Apr 5th 2021, 1:35 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply. Have you applied before or since Brexit?
Without wishing to disclose how old I am, I applied before the Brexit referendum! Hence I don't know whether Brexit has had an impact since 1st January 2021, or not....
Old Apr 5th 2021, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

You need 35 years contributions to get the full entitlement.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 2:40 pm
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
So I think the OP can disregard most of what I said!
Old Apr 5th 2021, 6:40 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
So I think the OP can disregard most of what I said!
And me.... What I said that is....
Old Apr 5th 2021, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

When you next call the office in Durham, they may well give you the opportunity to pay for any missing years to cover any shortfall. When I called and told them my circumstances, and how long I'd been in France, I was able to pay for 10 years in one go.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Listen Very Carefully is a jewel in the roughListen Very Carefully is a jewel in the roughListen Very Carefully is a jewel in the roughListen Very Carefully is a jewel in the rough

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
This link is helpful