British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Applying for pensions(GB citizen worked in GB and France) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/applying-pensions-gb-citizen-worked-gb-france-937976/)

Neil42 Apr 5th 2021 12:28 pm

Applying for pensions(GB citizen worked in GB and France)

Hi there,
I'm 65 this year and wondering how things will go when applying for pension next year as I've worked in England for 30 odd years and 2 years in Ireland(REP) then for 12 years in France.
I suppose Brexit is going to make things more complicated 😕
Anyone share my problem or have any idea?
Fun fact : I've phoned the pension dept in Durham... But they're on reduced working due to Covid and asked me to phone back at a later date....

Rosemary Apr 5th 2021 12:43 pm

Re: Applying for pensions(GB citizen worked in GB and France)

Originally Posted by Neil42 (Post 12991403)
Hi there,
I'm 65 this year and wondering how things will go when applying for pension as I've worked in England for 30 odd years and 2 years in Ireland(REP) then for 12 years in France.
Fun fact : I've phoned the pension dept in Durham... But they're on reduced working due to Covid and asked me to phone back at a later date....

Not sure whether you will receive your UK state pension at the age of 65 as I believe that the perimeters have changed over the past few years.

Rosemary

scrubbedexpat142 Apr 5th 2021 12:46 pm

Do you not have to wait until age 66 before claiming the UK state pension?

In any event, get your claim in in good time (up to 4 months before your qualifying date), my recent claim took 5 months to settle. As an expat you have a nice, fun filled form to fill in (26 pages), ensure to send it registered post (or equivalent). Once you have lodged your claim, Durham will take your call. It takes ages to get through but in fairness I found the agents very helpful.
​​​​​

Good luck!

Just crossed with Rosemary.

cyrian Apr 5th 2021 12:49 pm

Hi Neil

You can check your UK pension age online which will tell you when you will receive your State pension.
You can also ask for a pension estimate (separate search) and you can top up any shortfall in contributions.
This is not expensive and will improve your monthly pension over several years.
The DWP will need your current address to send you the documents at the appropriate time.
HTH

dmu Apr 5th 2021 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Neil42 (Post 12991403)
Hi there,
I'm 65 this year and wondering how things will go when applying for pension as I've worked in England for 30 odd years and 2 years in Ireland(REP) then for 12 years in France.

No idea whether Brexit will complicate things.
You have to apply for your Pension in the last country where you worked. If you think you've done the necessary trimestres during your working life, and it sounds as though you have, then apply at your local Agence CRAM to trigger off the French part. The agent will check your eligibility by searching in the UK and Irish Pension Departments' data bases and adding up the trimestres. To my surprize, the work I did at weekends and school holidays were included in my employment background when I applied for my French Pension, so I could have stopped working a little earlier!
The three Pensions will eventually be paid by each country, separately.

Neil42 Apr 5th 2021 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 12991405)
Not sure whether you will receive your UK state pension at the age of 65 as I believe that the perimeters have changed over the past few years.

Rosemary

Of course, I meant next year. Just edited the post!

Neil42 Apr 5th 2021 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12991415)
You have to apply for your Pension in the last country where you worked. If you think you've done the necessary trimestres during your working life, and it sounds as though you have, then apply at your local Agence CRAM to trigger off the French part. The agent will check your eligibility by searching in the UK and Irish Pension Departments' data bases and adding up the trimestres. To my surprize, the work I did at weekends and school holidays were included in my employment background when I applied for my French Pension, so I could have stopped working a little earlier!

Thanks for your reply. Have you applied before or since Brexit?

dmu Apr 5th 2021 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Neil42 (Post 12991426)
Thanks for your reply. Have you applied before or since Brexit?

Without wishing to disclose how old I am:eek:, I applied before the Brexit referendum! Hence I don't know whether Brexit has had an impact since 1st January 2021, or not....

cyrian Apr 5th 2021 2:08 pm

You need 35 years contributions to get the full entitlement.

scrubbedexpat142 Apr 5th 2021 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12991415)

So I think the OP can disregard most of what I said!

Chatter Static Apr 5th 2021 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12991453)
So I think the OP can disregard most of what I said!

And me.... What I said that is....

G-J-B Apr 5th 2021 8:08 pm

When you next call the office in Durham, they may well give you the opportunity to pay for any missing years to cover any shortfall. When I called and told them my circumstances, and how long I'd been in France, I was able to pay for 10 years in one go.

Listen Very Carefully Apr 6th 2021 2:35 pm

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
This link is helpful