Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Applying for CdeS after 31st December 2020

Applying for CdeS after 31st December 2020

Old Dec 2nd 2020, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Countryreverie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for CdeS after 31st December 2020

I believe that as an existant resident in France I have until the end of june 2021 to apply for a carte de sejour. I have been registered and working here for nearly 5 years. Unfortunately I haven't earned much as a micro-entrepreneur , 4000- 5000 per annum. In view of this I have concerns applying now because of earnings requirements. HOWEVER I will be receiving a state pension from March and intend to carry on working as before. I think that should put my earnings as adequate. So,my cunning plan is to wait until March to make my application ( I will also have 5 years residence by then). The question then is , "Is my cunning plan cunning or misguided ?" I'm sure if I'm misguided one of you will be able to put me straight ! Thank you.
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for CdeS after 31st December 2020

Makes perfect sense to me.
Can't do any harm and may be to your advantage to wait for your pension to roll in..
And if you're just short of five years, I would certainly wait until you can apply in the "over five years" category..
From what you read on social media, as long as you've been properly in the system for five years, which you will have, they're not being at all hardline about level of income. In any case there is no minimum income requirement if you are working. The figures you often see quoted, only apply to inactifs. As a worker, you just need to show you have a 'genuine and effective' business activity, and if it's provided you with a steady income for 5 years I would say it clearly is.
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Have to second EuroTrash, makes sense to wait in your situation - I know people are rushing to get their applications done, but there's plenty of time. I haven't done mine yet. As I understand it after 5 years you're entitled to the 10 year permanent card which would be far more useful.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I was just thinking about this again and it occurred to me to wonder - If at 31 Dec you are a worker, but you apply after you've started receiving your pension and your pension is a larger amount than your earned income, would you apply as a pensioner because that's your status when put your application in, or would you apply as a worker because that was your status at the end of transition?
Might be something to find out before the time comes to apply, unless you already know the answer.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing to consider is healthcare payment If the OP is still working then he will be paying for his healthcare will he not but as a pensioner he will not(apart from his mutuelle) as having been here prior to Jan 1 2021 he will be able to get an S1 from the UK Also is this a French pension or UK one as France having been the last place he worked are they not responsible for paying his pension including the UK element?
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 1:41 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
The other thing to consider is healthcare payment If the OP is still working then he will be paying for his healthcare will he not but as a pensioner he will not(apart from his mutuelle) as having been here prior to Jan 1 2021 he will be able to get an S1 from the UK Also is this a French pension or UK one as France having been the last place he worked are they not responsible for paying his pension including the UK element?
A good point to consider. Covid permitting, it might be worthwhile for the OP to consult his local CRAM agent (who probably won't care much about the Brexit issue, but might advise on his status).
France is the last place I worked and when I applied for my French Pension with the CRAM-Retraite agent, they made sure that I had done sufficient trimestres (checking on the UK data-base to add the UK element) to declare me eligible. I think I then filled in forms from the DWP. After the initial Anglo-French collaboration, my French and UK Pensions have been completely separate entities.

Last edited by dmu; Dec 3rd 2020 at 1:44 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have a notion that trying to collect a French pension before you stop work is quite complicated so I am assuming the OP is talking about a UK pension.
The S1 thing when a person moves to France, works on a small scale and then retires, seems to be a bit of a grey area sometimes. Technically, healthcare after retirement is the responsibility of the EU country where the person was working and making pension contributions immediately prior to stopping work. So if someone has been working and contributing in France you would not expect them to get an S1 from the UK. However when they have been working on a small scale and not making any significant pension contributions due to low earnings, sometimes the UK does seem to issue an S1 (or it could be in those cases that UK was not in fact aware that they'd worked in France).
In this case the OP says he intends to carry on working as before. So looking at it that way I suspect that trying to give CPAM a retiree S1 when at the same time you are registered with them as a worker, would cause confusion and a lot of questions. And I guess that answers my question, he would apply for his CdS as a worker. But, sometimes there do seem to be anomalies in the way these things are dealt with so who knows;
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your answers. So in principle to wait is a good idea. I had not considered applying as a pensioner as I intend to continue working here. The pension I allude to is a UK one. I recently received a letter from French pension services which had a lot of noughts on the projected pension sheet ! I had always assumed that as the two juridictions are seperate pensions would be different issues, excepting that I would need to declare the income to the impot.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Oh Lor, this is getting murkier. This is always the place to come to lay your assumptions to rest . I see a call to UK pensions coming on.Then L'Assurance retrait.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, sorry to have muddied the waters by raising the thing about applying as a pensioner. It turned out to be a red herring, I should have thought it through further before posting..
But waiting until you're past the 5 year mark so you can apply for the permanent card seems a good idea.
Not sure they will be able to take your pension into account since you won't have been receiving it by the end of transition, but you might be able to add a note to your application.
I have no clue how pensions will be handled when the UK no longer has to follow the EU arrangements.
Old Jan 11th 2021, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough

If you wait until you have been here 5 years then the whole self-emplyed / pension thing is irrelevant as all you need to give is:
1. Passport
2. Proof of settlement date
3. current domicile

So you won't need to worry about your earnings level.
Old Jan 12th 2021, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Applied for mine last week - as clothmama says you just need some very simple things. For myself, it was scan of my passport, then proof I resided in France in 2020 (they provide three fields for uploads, so I guess you only need one, but I supplied three), and then there's one upload to show you were there here around the time you state your approximate arrival date (doesn't have to be the very precise day unless you have it to hand).
Old Jan 12th 2021, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware that until you have applied and at least got your receipt for your application-a simple online process after 5 years here as others have said- if you go back to the UK and return to France then you may have your passport stamped and the 90 days will kick in as the police frontalier will be looking for your WA card or your receipt