Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in or near Annecy?

Anyone living in or near Annecy?

Old Sep 9th 2007, 6:25 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of
Default Anyone living in or near Annecy?

My sister has just moved to Annecy... I won't go into all the details but I am concerned about her because she speaks very limited French and she might find herself very isolated.
I am not much help to her because I live in Texas!!! I can't just pop over for a coffee... much as I would love to!
I would like to ask the members here if anyone would be interested in contacting her to make her move a little easier.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 6:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone living in or near Annecy?

Originally Posted by ScillyBrit
My sister has just moved to Annecy... I won't go into all the details but I am concerned about her because she speaks very limited French and she might find herself very isolated.
I am not much help to her because I live in Texas!!! I can't just pop over for a coffee... much as I would love to!
I would like to ask the members here if anyone would be interested in contacting her to make her move a little easier.
Maybe ask her to join the forum and then she can get to know people .... Theyre a friendly bunch on here
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly a lovely part of the world to live in. I agree with Mitzyboy, she should join this forum for starters. She should also go into her local tourist information office. They usually have details of different groups that meet up in the area. Her Mairie might also be able to help. I am sure the local population will also help make her feel welcome. I know ours did.
If she wants to send me a PM she is more than welcome to do so
Val
Old Sep 10th 2007, 6:06 am

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by val50
It's certainly a lovely part of the world to live in. I agree with Mitzyboy, she should join this forum for starters. She should also go into her local tourist information office. They usually have details of different groups that meet up in the area. Her Mairie might also be able to help. I am sure the local population will also help make her feel welcome. I know ours did.
If she wants to send me a PM she is more than welcome to do so
Val
Hi cant add any more to whats been said. Hope she settles its a lovely place to be. I dont know the area,but I came to France 14mths ago,My OH works away, and Im on my own nearly all the time,I can only tell you I have never ever felt so at home anywhere else.I had very little French and jumped in at the deep end,and dont see any english(the odd one) The french people are so helpful ,if shes been through a tuff time,this is the place to be.You tend to cotton on fast to the language in this situation, my pronounciation leaves a lot to be desiredAs val and mitzyboy said this forum has a friendy bunch, this is were I come when I need reassuring or infrmation or a good chat.Its really nice to hear a Bruv looking out for his sis
Old Sep 10th 2007, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Kate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher
Hi cant add any more to whats been said. Hope she settles its a lovely place to be. I dont know the area,but I came to France 14mths ago,My OH works away, and Im on my own nearly all the time,I can only tell you I have never ever felt so at home anywhere else.I had very little French and jumped in at the deep end,and dont see any english(the odd one) The french people are so helpful ,if shes been through a tuff time,this is the place to be.You tend to cotton on fast to the language in this situation, my pronounciation leaves a lot to be desiredAs val and mitzyboy said this forum has a friendy bunch, this is were I come when I need reassuring or infrmation or a good chat.Its really nice to hear a Bruv looking out for his sis
I'm very friendly......talk too much but friendly
Old Sep 10th 2007, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kate45
I'm very friendly......talk too much but friendly
That makes two of us
Old Sep 10th 2007, 3:18 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Thanks so very much for all of your replies... I will pass on the info asap!
I have already told her to visit this forum, but she is having a hard time getting phone/internet service (I think this is more to do with making herself understood on the phone!) She did say that she will make her way down to the local phone shop as she thinks it will be easier if she can talk 'face to face' with them. When she does get logged on, I will direct her to this thread!
The Tourist board sounds to be a good place to start, and I know that she is already looking at joining her local gym.

BTW, I am her younger sister!!!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 5:27 pm

Thanks so very much for all of your replies... I will pass on the info asap!
I have already told her to visit this forum, but she is having a hard time getting phone/internet service (I think this is more to do with making herself understood on the phone!) She did say that she will make her way down to the local phone shop as she thinks it will be easier if she can talk 'face to face' with them. When she does get logged on, I will direct her to this thread!
The Tourist board sounds to be a good place to start, and I know that she is already looking at joining her local gym.

BTW, I am her younger sister!!!
I am such a twitI am really a dreamer and never looked at the pink sign,will you forgive meMany sorrys
Old Sep 10th 2007, 7:40 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher
I am such a twitI am really a dreamer and never looked at the pink sign,will you forgive meMany sorrys
Not a problem... thought it was funny!!!
I maybe shouldn't say this, but you guys here are so much more positive about life and living abroad! I have been trolling the threads here... over in the US forum it seems that we have alot of very negative people!
Hope you don't mind if I join in every once in a while... it's nice for me... I love living overseas and try to keep an open mind about everything. I actually count my blessings that I have such a great life which lets me meet all types of folk!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:16 pm

I maybe shouldn't say this, but you guys here are so much more positive about life and living abroad! I have been trolling the threads here... over in the US forum it seems that we have alot of very negative people!
Hope you don't mind if I join in every once in a while... it's nice for me... I love living overseas and try to keep an open mind about everything. I actually count my blessings that I have such a great life which lets me meet all types of folk!

Very welcomeI go visiting all over I such a tart
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant future

By all means join us anytime its always nice to here what others are doing ......I am often not logged in at the same time as others because of living in Oz but from next week will be in France for 2 weeks yippee.....
Good morning Dream catcher....
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kate45
By all means join us anytime its always nice to here what others are doing ......I am often not logged in at the same time as others because of living in Oz but from next week will be in France for 2 weeks yippee.....
Good morning Dream catcher....

Nite nite Kate
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to have you join us
I know exactly what you mean about the other forums. I'm in Canada at the moment. Keep wanting to post on that forum about our experience of Nova Scotia, but scared stiff of doing so incase I get lynched
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:50 am
I'm older but no wiser!

Originally Posted by val50
Glad to have you join us
I know exactly what you mean about the other forums. I'm in Canada at the moment. Keep wanting to post on that forum about our experience of Nova Scotia, but scared stiff of doing so incase I get lynched
Hi There!
I used to live in Alberta... 8 years living north west of Calgary in a small town called Sundre. I absolutely loved it... aren't the people just great!!! The only thing which I wasn't too keen on was the weather!
Banff, set in the Rockies (only a couple of hours drive), has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. I've never been to Nova Scotia but have heard others rave about it. I'd like to hear about your experiences... good and bad!!!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50;
Glad to have you join us
Lynched? Not at all. I'll look out for you Val. Come on over and tell 'em whatever it is you want to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.