Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in or near Annecy?

Anyone living in or near Annecy?

Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone living in or near Annecy?

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
We have been more than happy with wireless service from Wanadoo. We share it with our downstairs neighbours, who kindly offered this for free. It drops out occasionally, but on the whole is very reliable and mostly very quick.

They are moving away in Decembre and we will have to purchase our own then. We'll probably stick with Wanadoo but depends on the offers around. I'm also interested to read others' experience of broadband companies.
Wanadoo were taken over by Orange - last year I think it was.
I had the choice of keeping my wanadoo address or changing it to Orange.
Kept it as it was and - touch wood - no problems
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

BYTHELAKE is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ScillyBrit
Hi Jo!!!
Hi Tarcey and all who have responded to her plea for help on my behalf... It's great to hear kind words of encouragement. After living in Cameroon for 2 years with such a full social life, it's quite a shock to be living here with no social life or friends. But I'm sure things will get better. I've joined the local gym here, but due to the lack of my french language it's very difficult to try to hold a conversation with anybody. I'm trying to learn but find it very difficult. Does anybody else out there share my problem?
I don't mean to sound so negative because I love it here and love the life style Annecy offers. I know it's just going to take time. Things that seem so easy to sort out in the UK seem nearly impossible here.
My daughter also has moments when she wants to return to the UK or doesn't want to go to school. But I'm so proud of her and of her achievements. She's even learning spanish in french!!!!
Thanks to everybody who has responded. I hope to hear from you soon.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:30 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BYTHELAKE
I've joined the local gym here, but due to the lack of my french language it's very difficult to try to hold a conversation with anybody.
Gym?? You have a gym?? Luxury! We live in a medium size town and I am going to look into joining the badminton group. The only thing putting me off right now is my terrible french. I'm sure it will be easier than the nightmares I have already imagined in my head!

We are in one french class, and are soon to be signing up for more. Hopefully 3 lessons a week should help us improve. As it is, I can think what I want to say in french, but the minute I get in front of a french person I sound like a gibbering baboon. Practice I guess....

Lovely to hear your daughter is settling in and enjoying it. Our daughter (13) has just started learning spanish in french too. It amazes me what kids are capable of.

I wish you good luck with your conversations in the gym, it's good (for me at least) to know there are others here going through what I am.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:14 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi bythelake,welcome,hope you OK.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 2:53 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Hi Tarcey and all who have responded to her plea for help on my behalf... It's great to hear kind words of encouragement. After living in Cameroon for 2 years with such a full social life, it's quite a shock to be living here with no social life or friends. But I'm sure things will get better. I've joined the local gym here, but due to the lack of my french language it's very difficult to try to hold a conversation with anybody. I'm trying to learn but find it very difficult. Does anybody else out there share my problem?
I don't mean to sound so negative because I love it here and love the life style Annecy offers. I know it's just going to take time. Things that seem so easy to sort out in the UK seem nearly impossible here.
My daughter also has moments when she wants to return to the UK or doesn't want to go to school. But I'm so proud of her and of her achievements. She's even learning spanish in french!!!!
Thanks to everybody who has responded. I hope to hear from you soon.
Hi Sis!!!
I'm so relieved that you are finally online ... isn't it great how many people have responded to your situation.
I've just forwarded you a PM from a member who would love to catch up for a coffee this weekend!
BTW, you need to get on skype... not that you really need to see me on a 'dad hair day' but it would certainly reduce the cost of our phone bills!!!
Love you Jo... so glad you have joined!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
Gym?? You have a gym?? Luxury! We live in a medium size town and I am going to look into joining the badminton group. The only thing putting me off right now is my terrible french. I'm sure it will be easier than the nightmares I have already imagined in my head!

We are in one french class, and are soon to be signing up for more.

I wish you good luck with your conversations in the gym, it's good (for me at least) to know there are others here going through what I am.
Hi Jazzy n Lol
Thanks for your message.... Yes we do have a gym here. Don't know what I'd do without it. Currently I'm at the "bonjour" only stage. But at least my face is becoming more familiar. I may even get a coffee soon!!!

I'm in the same boat as you concerning the french language. My daughter tells me how terrible I sound!!!! And when I try to speak french to a french person all I get back is "pardon".... Makes you feel really confident!!

Isn't it great how our children can adapt so well. I know that although my daughter (who is also 13) does have bad days, overall she's enjoying her new life. Only today she came home from school smiling from ear to ear telling me how well she'd done in the cross country race, and how in 2 history tests she had done well, even getting higher marks than some of the french students.

Have a good weekend.... Look forward to hearing your news.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher
Hi bythelake,welcome,hope you OK.
Hi Dreamcatcher,
Thanks for your welcome... It feels so great to be able to communicate with others in the same or similar situation.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi Trace
Thanks for the message.
I'm unable to get into my emails at the moment.... You know me and computers!!! They don't like me!!
I agree with you, it's great to be able to share experiences, and know that what I'm feeling and going through is quite normal.
Thanks for all the hours we've spent talking.... It's been a great help.
Love you loads and wish you were here.

Jo XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trace
Thanks for the message.
I'm unable to get into my emails at the moment.... You know me and computers!!! They don't like me!!
I agree with you, it's great to be able to share experiences, and know that what I'm feeling and going through is quite normal.

Jo XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hi there and welcome, glad you could finally join us.
I know you will get lots of support and encouragement here.
You'll find it will get easier, don't push yourself so hard, relax and
enjoy your new life. We've been here 6 years now and I still have days
when I'm convinced I'm talking French, but the look on my neighbours face
tells me otherwise!!!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 7:45 pm

Hi Dreamcatcher,
Thanks for your welcome... It feels so great to be able to communicate with others in the same or similar situation.
You will be fine on here they are a lovey bunch
Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:28 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Hi Trace
Thanks for the message.

Jo XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hi Jo
I'll phone you tomorrow for a chin wag!!!
I wish I was there with you too... it would make for a great adventure plus with you and I trying out our french on those poor unsuspecting people would be an absolute hoot!!!
I am still struggling learning all the masc/fem stuff!!! I am still only on disc 2... it's hard for me learning this language without having french people around to correct/laugh/converse with! Oh well, I'm sure once I get over there for a visit it will all have been worth it!
Love you loads XXX

Love you XXX
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ScillyBrit
Hi Jo
I'll phone you tomorrow for a chin wag!!!
I wish I was there with you too... it would make for a great adventure plus with you and I trying out our french on those poor unsuspecting people would be an absolute hoot!!!
I am still struggling learning all the masc/fem stuff!!! I am still only on disc 2... it's hard for me learning this language without having french people around to correct/laugh/converse with! Oh well, I'm sure once I get over there for a visit it will all have been worth it!
Love you loads XXX

Love you XXX
Hi everybody, now my daughter's at school i can jump on here without her telling me how rubbish I am at using the computer!! I have to use her laptop as mine won't talk to our n9uf box!! And now I can't even open my emails. All I get is a message telling me that internet explorer wants to close!!!!
I've spent quite a long time reading everybodies messages and am quiet surprised at how many ladies live here on their own whilst their OH's work elsewhere. My husband lives and works in Nigeria. I think I might get too see him about 4 times over a 12 month period.
I'm currently trying to call the water and electricity suppliers, but due to my terrible french, I can't make myself understood......HELP....Don't know what to do.
Hi Trace, look forward to a natter later. Love you....
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by val50
Hi there and welcome, glad you could finally join us.
I know you will get lots of support and encouragement here.
You'll find it will get easier, don't push yourself so hard, relax and
enjoy your new life. We've been here 6 years now and I still have days
when I'm convinced I'm talking French, but the look on my neighbours face
tells me otherwise!!!
Hi Moderator,
Thanks for the welcome and good advice.
Even though I'm experiencing great feelings of isolation and loneliness at times, I know that I don't want to go back to the UK to live.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:01 am

Hi byethelake. my OH works away to.Your not on your ownRegarding the water ect.Have you got offices near you?I found it easer just to go down to the offices and take papers with me and sort it out face to face.Im quite good at sign language(This is when I first got here)Just take a deep breath and smile.Good luck.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher
Hi byethelake. my OH works away to.Your not on your ownRegarding the water ect.Have you got offices near you?I found it easer just to go down to the offices and take papers with me and sort it out face to face.Im quite good at sign language(This is when I first got here)Just take a deep breath and smile.Good luck.
Hi Dreamcatcher, I think you're right..... I should find out where these places are and then with the use of sign language with a few french words thrown in I'll be able to get myself understood!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.