Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in or near Annecy?

Anyone living in or near Annecy?

Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

chucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone living in or near Annecy?

What problems are you all having getting on to the internet? Any tips you can give will be greatly appreciated. We hope to be moving to France in the spring and need to get up and running with the internet as soon as possible. I would feel realy isolated without it.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:52 am

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chucks mum
What problems are you all having getting on to the internet? Any tips you can give will be greatly appreciated. We hope to be moving to France in the spring and need to get up and running with the internet as soon as possible. I would feel realy isolated without it.

Hi Chucks mum,Im a complete dummy were computors ect. are concerned, but we came here got on the phone,contacted France Telicom,within 7 days we were up and running with broadband.It really was fast,I do not know wether we were lucky or not.Bet your getting excited about your move.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

chucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant futurechucks mum has a brilliant future

Thanks dreamcatcher for putting my mind at rest. Which provider have you gone with? We are with AOL at the moment but we don't know if we can stay with them in France.

Yes getting real exited as the time draws nearer. We are busy getting the house decorated to sell and clearing out anything we can, ready for the move. Any spare time is spent looking at houses on the internet and cursing at the drop in exchange rates. We are doing this on a shoe string and the change in rates means we have to go for cheaper property.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

HauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by chucks mum
Well first piece of advice from my side is, don't get any of these broadband offers from Alice and Neufbox. These all-TV-Phone-Internet packages rarely reach speeds higher than 512Kb even though they advertise 20MBits.

Despite the dubious customer service of France Telecom and Orange, they really are the most reliable internet service in France. Until recently I had an 8MB connection for both uploading and downloading...although for some reason the speeds are more erratic in recent weeks. Give them plenty of notice for installation, depending on whether you already have a line, or ADSL in the area, the install time can take up to 12 weeks, before they come and sort you out.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but has any one else got any experience of broadband service in France?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all

Hello HSJ, your info is very useful and Ihave saved it. What on earth has happened to that cat you're using as your avatar Is it looking shocked because it's had an ear cut off? I've told my two not to look at it otherwise they will have cat nightmares

Last edited by artemis; Oct 8th 2007 at 5:34 pm. Reason: not using the right homophone
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

HauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by artemis
Hello HSJ, your info is very useful and Ihave saved it. What on earth has happened to that cat you're using as your avatar Is it looking shocked because it's had an ear cut off? I've told my two not to look at it otherwise they will have cat nightmares
I promise you, no felines were harmed in the creation of my avatar.

The reason why it's looking shocked is because the little fella is in fear of the very Bond Villian-like cat in your avatar!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all

yes that's really funny I had'nt thought of that but he does look like the Bond cat! He's a big ball of mostly fur though ........ with huge paws and pale blue eye ...... a blond blue-eyed male can't really get any better
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Ozbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScillyBrit
My sister has just moved to Annecy... I won't go into all the details but I am concerned about her because she speaks very limited French and she might find herself very isolated.
I am not much help to her because I live in Texas!!! I can't just pop over for a coffee... much as I would love to!
I would like to ask the members here if anyone would be interested in contacting her to make her move a little easier.
HI there, Perhaps your sister is settled now, since it has been almost 2 months that you posted this.... but.... I live in Annecy with my husband - been here for 2 years -- Australian and British couple -- i would be happy to meet up with her for a welcome to Annecy coffee. Cheers.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:47 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ozbrit
HI there, Perhaps your sister is settled now, since it has been almost 2 months that you posted this.... but.... I live in Annecy with my husband - been here for 2 years -- Australian and British couple -- i would be happy to meet up with her for a welcome to Annecy coffee. Cheers.
Hi Ozbrit
Jo is settling but I know that she would love a meet up!
Once you have posted a couple of times I will be able to Private Message you with her phone number (for obvious reasons I won't display it here).
Thanks so much!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ozbrit
Jo is settling but I know that she would love a meet up!
Once you have posted a couple of times I will be able to Private Message you with her phone number (for obvious reasons I won't display it here).
Thanks so much!

Hi Scillybrit, sure no worries. how many times do i have to post before you can do that? Anyway, perhaps i can figure out how to private message you and send you / your sis my email and she can take it from there. Have a great day.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HauteSavoieJim
Don't want to hijack the thread, but has any one else got any experience of broadband service in France?

Hi - 2 yrs ago when we moved to Annecy we dealt with France telecom - we didnt know a word of french so we contacted the French Speaking France Telecom line which was a godsend Took only about 5 days to set up. This (english) line is only for Sales (not technical support). My husband is very au-fait with technology so we haven't needed technical support as such - it's just when you want something to happen outside the box .. the frontline staff don't know (or are not empowered) to do much to help - husband wanted somethind done related to his VOIP consultanncy business and i know he was getting a tad frustrated. But thats very specific. But... all in all, good experience.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:23 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Hi Jo!!!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:53 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

Hi Jo!!!
Did you manage to log on okay?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:01 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HauteSavoieJim

We have been more than happy with wireless service from Wanadoo. We share it with our downstairs neighbours, who kindly offered this for free. It drops out occasionally, but on the whole is very reliable and mostly very quick.

They are moving away in Decembre and we will have to purchase our own then. We'll probably stick with Wanadoo but depends on the offers around. I'm also interested to read others' experience of broadband companies.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:12 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
We have been more than happy with wireless service from Wanadoo. We share it with our downstairs neighbours, who kindly offered this for free. It drops out occasionally, but on the whole is very reliable and mostly very quick.

They are moving away in Decembre and we will have to purchase our own then. We'll probably stick with Wanadoo but depends on the offers around. I'm also interested to read others' experience of broadband companies.
We with Orange - France Telecom. Hassle to get the line up quickly but fine since then. Loads of offices at least!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.