Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in or near Annecy?

Anyone living in or near Annecy?

Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:15 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone living in or near Annecy?

Originally Posted by val50
Glad to have you join us
I know exactly what you mean about the other forums. I'm in Canada at the moment. Keep wanting to post on that forum about our experience of Nova Scotia, but scared stiff of doing so incase I get lynched
I know what you mean. I posted a series of positive things about Nova Scotia earlier this summer and people living further west were frothin at the mouth when I dared to say it was one of the best places to live in Canada. That backwater easter province full of fishermen on benefits they said. Most had never even been here! Water off a duck's back I say though! Nova Scotia is wonderful and one of the worlds best kept secrets IMHO. I do love Annecy too though - really pretty town. Fairly expensive as I understand it? But very pretty and really crisp fresh air as I recall.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all

Hello there ScillyBrit, Nice to have someone else to chat to on this forum. welcome .......
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I know what you mean. I posted a series of positive things about Nova Scotia earlier this summer and people living further west were frothin at the mouth when I dared to say it was one of the best places to live in Canada. That backwater easter province full of fishermen on benefits they said. Most had never even been here! Water off a duck's back I say though! Nova Scotia is wonderful and one of the worlds best kept secrets IMHO. I do love Annecy too though - really pretty town. Fairly expensive as I understand it? But very pretty and really crisp fresh air as I recall.
Now you see that's why I don't want to post on the Canada forum because I am not a fan of Nova Scotia
When my OH was moved there I knew within a week or so it was a big mistake and I was just so thankful we had kept our house in France. Thankfully he travels all over the place, so we can meet up without me having to spend much time there. I'm only back at the moment because he had a bad car accident and his arm is still in plaster.
Compared to France, the education, health care and general lifestyle are pretty grim. You mention fishermen on benefits. To be honest, he works with a lot of those fishermen you refer to, although they pick seaweed in Yarmouth during the summer. They are refusing to extend the season at the moment and carry on collecting seaweed as they have done the 12 weeks they need to now go on benefits So it does happen.
The worst part for me was the sense of isolation. In Normandy it is so easy to get to places, to drive to Spain, Belgium, and get to UK, and there is always so much to do. Perhaps the problem was we first saw NS in summer but moved in December. I actually felt as if we'd got off the plane in the wrong place There are all those positive postings on the Canada forum at the moment about their 2 weeks holiday in NS and I just want to tell them to go back again in December/January before making up their mind about moving there. The other thing they don't appreciate is that once there they will only get 2-3 weeks holiday a year and wont be able to do what they are doing now.
Also, my OH's salary was doubled to entice him to make his base in NS but he soon found after tax etc. he was no better off a month. I also found I couldn't work as a nurse there unless I retrained and sat the local exams. After being registered as a nurse for 30 years in UK I found that hard to do.
It is a beautiful place - but I'm afraid I prefer to visit, not live there.
Now you know why I haven't posted on the Canada forum
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant future

Now you see that's why I don't want to post on the Canada forum because I am not a fan of Nova Scotia
When my OH was moved there I knew within a week or so it was a big mistake and I was just so thankful we had kept our house in France. Thankfully he travels all over the place, so we can meet up without me having to spend much time there. I'm only back at the moment because he had a bad car accident and his arm is still in plaster.
Compared to France, the education, health care and general lifestyle are pretty grim. You mention fishermen on benefits. To be honest, he works with a lot of those fishermen you refer to, although they pick seaweed in Yarmouth during the summer. They are refusing to extend the season at the moment and carry on collecting seaweed as they have done the 12 weeks they need to now go on benefits So it does happen.
The worst part for me was the sense of isolation. In Normandy it is so easy to get to places, to drive to Spain, Belgium, and get to UK, and there is always so much to do. Perhaps the problem was we first saw NS in summer but moved in December. I actually felt as if we'd got off the plane in the wrong place There are all those positive postings on the Canada forum at the moment about their 2 weeks holiday in NS and I just want to tell them to go back again in December/January before making up their mind about moving there. The other thing they don't appreciate is that once there they will only get 2-3 weeks holiday a year and wont be able to do what they are doing now.
Also, my OH's salary was doubled to entice him to make his base in NS but he soon found after tax etc. he was no better off a month. I also found I couldn't work as a nurse there unless I retrained and sat the local exams. After being registered as a nurse for 30 years in UK I found that hard to do.
Very wise move Val ...
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:43 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by artemis
Hello there ScillyBrit, Nice to have someone else to chat to on this forum. welcome .......
Hi There... thanks for the welcome!

To Val...
To my way of thinking you are not whining!!!
You are expressing your personal feelings with 'straight' talk...
What I hate on the US forum is the whining and bitching!

I love living here, and luckily for me the positives out weigh the negatives. I am sure that for most of us, living abroad is great, the hardest thing to cope with is family and friends left behind.
When I went home in August to the Isles of Scilly I was surprised to find myself wanting to move back... for me though, I realised that where ever my parents live is home, so if they moved here, would I want to move to England?... The answer was no!!!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:49 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

It does look very different in the winter. I personally love the winters and don't mind extreme cold providing it is sunny (which the winters are for most of the time) but clearly it isn't for everyone (otherwise Australia wouldn't be the #1 destination for emigration for example!). Though December isn't great sometimes to be fair as the cold has set in but not really that much snow yet. When the snow comes everywhere lookd completely different again. A winter wonderland to me but I respect other people have different views.

Attached is a picture taken at the beginning of last December to remind you!

Don't know what you mean about education, healthcare and general lifestyle though. Perhaps there are regional differences. Living near Halifax we have had highly positive experience of both education (well only elementary schools so far) and healthcare.

3 weeks holiday is common though - that does suck a bit!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone living in or near Annecy?-dscf0309.jpg  
Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:13 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

ScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud ofScillyBrit has much to be proud of

Just bumping this thread... still actively looking for anyone living near Annecy...
Old Sep 29th 2007, 2:46 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

Originally Posted by ScillyBrit
Just bumping this thread... still actively looking for anyone living near Annecy...
And again...
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Moosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the rough

I'm new on this forum. This thread prompted me to join: I live in Annecy! I have been here for the last year and I'm looking forward to the second. As your sister has no doubt told you, this is a beautiful corner of the world!

I imagine that your sister is feeling a little more settled after nearly a month here, but feel free to send me a private message if you think there's anything I can do to help.

But really, just to reassure you, this is a very safe, touristy town and your sister will be just fine! On the language front, it is true that it helps to be able to speak good French, but at the same time (probably due to the amount of tourism here) local people are often (a bit too) keen to leap in with their English whenever they hear a foreign accent. Great for the tourists but mildly irritating for the language learner...
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Moosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the rough

Ooops, just looked back at my email and my "Welcome to BritishExpats.com" message informs me that private messages won't work for me for 24 hours. So, erm, wait at least 24 hours before sending me one! (Or just post on here, I guess )
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:24 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

Originally Posted by Moosette
Ooops, just looked back at my email and my "Welcome to BritishExpats.com" message informs me that private messages won't work for me for 24 hours. So, erm, wait at least 24 hours before sending me one! (Or just post on here, I guess )
Hi Moosette!!!
I have sent you a PM, hopefully you will be able to access it today.
Great to hear from you... I will pass on this message to my sister. At the moment she is still waiting to get internet service... still hasn't got her landline hooked up either so we are having to text back and forth!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

HauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the rough

Hi There, new to this forum.... But not new to Annecy.

I've been living here for 4 years. I can understand the problems getting connected to the internet. France Telecom had me tearing my hair out when I first moved here.

Happy to help out anyway I can.

Jim
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:57 pm
I'm older but no wiser!

Originally Posted by HauteSavoieJim
Hi There, new to this forum.... But not new to Annecy.

I've been living here for 4 years. I can understand the problems getting connected to the internet. France Telecom had me tearing my hair out when I first moved here.

Happy to help out anyway I can.

Jim
Hi Jim

Great to hear from you too!!! Thanks so much for responding... I am feeling so much more at ease knowing there are people living in the area who are willing to help her out.
For the next week or so I will be passing on any info to her... once she is online, she can look at this thread and I am sure she will get in contact!

Thank you Moosette and Jim for your kind offerings of help.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hello ScillyBrit,

I tried to access the PM, only to be informed this time that PMs are restricted to those with 3 or more posts! Hopefully this third post will allow me access to your message.

So many rules...

xx
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:14 am
Just Joined

HauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the roughHauteSavoieJim is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Moosette
Hello ScillyBrit,

I tried to access the PM, only to be informed this time that PMs are restricted to those with 3 or more posts! Hopefully this third post will allow me access to your message.

So many rules...

xx
In that case, I better get my third post in there too!!...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.