Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anyone know any Breton?

Anyone know any Breton?

Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:57 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone know any Breton?

Yep I know this is a long shot, but having bought a house in Brittany, we would like to give it a Breton name and learn a smattering of Breton to perhaps help us fit in a bit.

Have found an English to Breton translator, but there doesn't seem to be a word for Dawn but you can say "Yes I'll have chips".

And there was a whole page on questions and answers about smoking (fairly promising, that!).

Happy Thursday to all.

Andy and Pete
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know any Breton?

I had Mme Grenoille wanting to give our baby a Breton name at one point - I couldn't get my tongue around the suggestions she was giving, and told her we Brits like to abbreviate everything to one syllable if at all possible.
Bonne chance!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hiya again!
Go in to Breton Language in Google, you get plenty of info there. I seem to remember that Breton and Welsh are quite closely related, tho' Breton and Irish or Breton and Scottish Gaelic are not so close to one another.
I heart their little national car sign Bzh (short for Breizh)!
Blackie
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:26 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Yep I know this is a long shot, but having bought a house in Brittany, we would like to give it a Breton name and learn a smattering of Breton to perhaps help us fit in a bit.

Have found an English to Breton translator, but there doesn't seem to be a word for Dawn but you can say "Yes I'll have chips".

And there was a whole page on questions and answers about smoking (fairly promising, that!).

Happy Thursday to all.

Andy and Pete
You see a lot of "Pen" and "Ker" combined with other words. I think "Ker" means "the house of", but I've forgotten what Pen means, maybe headland, so the house needs to at least have a view of the sea...
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:10 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Me again! You might do well to buy "Breton de Poche", published by ASSIMIL'évasion, after you've moved in properly, or simply a Dictionnaire Français-Breton-Français. I just looked on a site with a dictionary and my proposal of "pen" seems to mean "fesse" (ker does mean "chez")
Found your town in my Road Atlas. Are you really in the middle of le Parc d'Armorique? Lucky you!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:21 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, thanks guys, wonderful suggestions. Yep, the dictionary in google was quite helpful, also I wondered if there actually was an English-French-Breton dictionary, so good to know there is one.

Yep, dmu, we are right slap bang in that park thing - apparently, La Feuillee is the highest village in Brittany. Hoping that means we get a bit of snow - and the picture of the house on the internet when I fell in love with it way back showed it covered in snow - here's hoping.

And due to the building restrictions in the Parc we are probably safe from any new building around us, but the graveyard one side will protect us, and we own the field behind where the view is so we should be ok.

With 10 sheds covered with asbestos, maybe we should just call it "les remises d'amiante" and have done with it ...............