British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Anyone else started as an autoentrepreneur? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/anyone-else-started-autoentrepreneur-599628/)

tommyauvergne Mar 24th 2009 3:46 pm

Anyone else started as an autoentrepreneur?

Hi to all,

I've searched through the forums and was surprised to find that although some of us have briefly discussed registering as autoentrepreneurs, there's no real thread on the subject. With being Brits or foreigners I presumed there would be a high percentage of expats raving about the scheme, as many of us have had troubles finding work in France.

I'd like to ask if anyone has else has registered, your line of work, and perhaps your thoughts on the subject.

To start things off, I registered about a month ago and received my SIRET no etc last week. For me, it's a way of finding part time work and projects legally in France to top up my contracted 13 CDI hours.
It's true to say that it was fairly easy to register, although I had to wait 3 weeks to receive the paperwork and be able to start work. I'm now just wondering how it works when paying the 'trimestral cotisations'. Will I get a reminder, or is it up to me to declare things on time. (Not that I've got too much to worry about as the work is scarce!)

Any one else in the same boat?:confused:

G-J-B Mar 24th 2009 4:19 pm

Re: Anyone else started as an autoentrepreneur?

Hi Tommy,
I started around the middle of last year, but the AE is so brand spanking new off the rails that not many people are on it. Those of us stuck on the old system would need to effectively close and restart our business on this regime from what I could gather. I was worried the old system might screw me over on tax compared to the AE, but further reading seems to suggest they balance out with time and are quite comparable. If anybody knows to the contrary please say!
You were lucky to get your SIRET so quickly - it took me almost 3 months. :(
I couldn't open a business bank account and really start trading until I had it.

I've always received reminders about the cotisation payments, although I once got it very late, giving me only 1 working day in which to post it off. I believe you can have it paid off automatically. I just sent my RIB number and sign the thing for them to take my money out my account when it comes, and now stick a note in my calendar for the dates so I don't get any nasty surprises should their letters not be timely.

tommyauvergne Mar 24th 2009 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by G-J-B (Post 7414271)
Hi Tommy,
I started around the middle of last year, but the AE is so brand spanking new off the rails that not many people are on it. Those of us stuck on the old system would need to effectively close and restart our business on this regime from what I could gather. I was worried the old system might screw me over on tax compared to the AE, but further reading seems to suggest they balance out with time and are quite comparable. If anybody knows to the contrary please say!
I couldn't open a business bank account and really start trading until I had it.

I've always received reminders about the cotisation payments, although I once got it very late, giving me only 1 working day in which to post it off. I believe you can have it paid off automatically. I just sent my RIB number and sign the thing for them to take my money out my account when it comes, and now stick a note in my calendar for the dates so I don't get any nasty surprises should their letters not be timely.

G-J-B, WOW 3 months. I suppose that's the downside to the local administration....:ohmy:
Thanks for the tip on the reminders, that's what I had gathered but couldn't find much reference on the web.
BTW just a quick question to a web designer, if it's not too impolite. Web design was something I was thinking about getting into when I left the UK for France. I didn't go much further down that road as I was only a amateur (don't worry, not trying to muscle in on your patch), and the Expat web design thing seems like a good business. My question is, is it like most Expat sectors where you have to rely on work from outside the country or does a lot of your work come from France? I, for example, have to rely on work coming from abroad.
Hope you don't mind all the questions, I'm just interested in how us Expats are surviving in these trying times:unsure:

jon1975 Mar 24th 2009 5:07 pm

Just in case you haven't come across this website-

http://www.startbusinessinfrance.com/

le plumber Mar 24th 2009 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by G-J-B (Post 7414271)

Hi Tommy & Gavin

how come it took so long to get your Siret Gavin?? It took me about 3 weeks too to get mine. However, and what a lot of people don't know, is that you CAN open up shop even without the Siret Number. On letterhead paper etc you're allowed to put "Siret en cours". Without my Siret I was able to open my bank account and my accounts with the suppliers no problem. They just asked me to give it too them ASAP.

As for URSSAF and other money grabbers, I would highly reccomend you setting up a direct debit with them as you certainly don't want to be in their bad books!!

Anyway good luck with the new buisness Tommy!!:thumbup:

G-J-B Mar 25th 2009 7:48 am

My good old accountant didn't think to let me know I could start trading before I had my SIRET number, and by the time I found out for myself, I already had it! Problem is, the bank wouldn't let me open a business account until I had a SIRET. It took me a further 7 months to get my Post Office Carte Pro, and almost a year since I moved here, I'm still waiting for the official carte vitale, although fortunately I do have a number.
I wasn't quite sure what to expect in terms of social payments, so I'm glad I've got through one year so I have no more unpleasant surprises.

Tommy. It may be in 3 or 4 years time I will be living down in your neck of the woods; it's a part of France I love.
My lack of fluent French at the moment prevents me doing too much work for the French. A couple of months back I worked with a history professor to do part of a Paris University website.
Generally my customers are in the UK - I still have a few contacts when I used to work as an employee, and they throw me work every so often when things get quiet. I also do art and photography, so make part of my living that way too.

le plumber Mar 25th 2009 9:00 am

Originally Posted by G-J-B (Post 7416943)
My good old accountant didn't think to let me know I could start trading before I had my SIRET number, and by the time I found out for myself, I already had it! Problem is, the bank wouldn't let me open a business account until I had a SIRET. It took me a further 7 months to get my Post Office Carte Pro, and almost a year since I moved here, I'm still waiting for the official carte vitale, although fortunately I do have a number.
I wasn't quite sure what to expect in terms of social payments, so I'm glad I've got through one year so I have no more unpleasant surprises.

Ahhhh french accountants, expensive and hopeless. Getting advice is like getting blood out of a stone. I can't complain too much about mine though (hes the second accountant I've had), he's as sly as a fox!! ;)

As for the bank account there seems to be absolutely zero tolerance in your bank :ohmy: I think it depends who you bank with. Banque Populaire are supposed to be the small buisness bank, but I found them useless. Went next door to the Credit Agricole and haven't looked back since.

tommyauvergne Mar 25th 2009 9:15 am

Originally Posted by G-J-B (Post 7416943)
Tommy. It may be in 3 or 4 years time I will be living down in your neck of the woods; it's a part of France I love.
My lack of fluent French at the moment prevents me doing too much work for the French.

Thanks for the info G-J-B. You seem to be in a situation I was in a while ago. My French prevented me from going forward and I just had to wait for it to improve. It comes after a while, I went through a long period where I thought I'd never progress but somehow have come on leaps and bounds recently.
When you get down this way be sure to say hello, in the meantime if there's any info you may need.......

Originally Posted by le plumber (Post 7417101)

As for the bank account there seems to be absolutely zero tolerance in your bank :ohmy: I think it depends who you bank with. Banque Populaire are supposed to be the small business bank, but I found them useless. Went next door to the Credit Agricole and haven't looked back since.

Le Plumber, We've had the same experience with BP:mad:. Their hidden charges are astronomical and there's no give and take, unlike a lot of French banks. As soon as my better half started her business 2 years ago she moved because they couldn't and didn't want to compete with other bank charges.

le plumber Mar 25th 2009 9:22 am

Originally Posted by tommyauvergne (Post 7417146)
Le Plumber, We've had the same experience with BP:mad:. Their hidden charges are astronomical and there's no give and take, unlike a lot of French banks. As soon as my better half started her business 2 years ago she moved because they couldn't and didn't want to compete with other bank charges.

There will be no escape from bank charges, and a recent survey in a quality magazine concluded that most bank charges are on a par. If one bank is cheaper for something they'll be more expensive for another etc.
If you find the Banque Pop to be the Banque poop, try the Credit Agricole, they are are damn sight more "human"

G-J-B Mar 25th 2009 9:49 am

It was the HSBC. To make matters worse, when I finally got my SIRET to open the account at the branch 3 minutes down the road, the woman went away on holiday (I'd booked my appointment with her and she didn't bother to tell me)! Rather than go another week without earning I went to another branch but it was an hour's round trip by foot. Now if I need to speak to my account manager or go in for something I have to go to this one ages away from me, and if I want to transfer back to the closer branch my credit card will no longer be valid and they will have to assign me a new one + cheque book. You just can't make this stuff up. If I have a problem I'm told I can email my advisor at this branch, but last time she ignored my emails twice (over 3 weeks), then went away on holiday so I got an auto-reply, and then replied to me a month later, as though that were acceptable. I now put in copy the main bank's email address so that if she doesn't respond they can make note of her inefficiency.
I'm always being charged by the bank for something or another; I don't always know what. :(

Sorry, off my soap box now. :)

Tommy - time has always been a terrible factor against me; I've spent so much of it trying to make a living that my plans for learning the language fell by the wayside. Now I have a half-French baby on the way I need to make an effort. It's embarassing when I catch up with French friends months later, and they find my progress is at a bare minimum.

If you're still on the forum in a few years time I may pick your brains on the region. :)

tommyauvergne Mar 26th 2009 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by jon1975 (Post 7414467)
Just in case you haven't come across this website-

http://www.startbusinessinfrance.com/

Jon, thanks for the link. Just checked out the site, seems to be very well written. And there's a forum:D

Also, found this on my travels -
http://www.net-entreprises.fr/lautoe...neriquemdp.htm
A direct link to paying your charges!!!:D