Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Anyone else dismayed at the state of Briton?

Anyone else dismayed at the state of Briton?

Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

bordeaux_boy will become famous soon enoughbordeaux_boy will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone else dismayed at the state of Briton?

I want to get away from this place. Everything good about Briton is in the past. I don't like English culture anymore, not proud of being British. Want to live abroad. Sick of the loutish, drinking culture here, sick of all the politically correctness, sick of the immigration, sick of the crowds, sick of the Chav TV (X Factor and shows like it)... sick of all of it.

Want to get as far away from this anglophone country with its tawdry British culture. Want to go to France, speak French, soak up French culture, enjoy life.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:15 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone else dismayed at the state of Briton?

I do not remotely agree with you, but good luck in your search for the greener grass.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:32 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bordeaux_boy
I want to get away from this place. Everything good about Briton is in the past. I don't like English culture anymore, not proud of being British. Want to live abroad. Sick of the loutish, drinking culture here, sick of all the politically correctness, sick of the immigration, sick of the crowds, sick of the Chav TV (X Factor and shows like it)... sick of all of it.

Want to get as far away from this anglophone country with its tawdry British culture. Want to go to France, speak French, soak up French culture, enjoy life.
I can never get used to the idea that people want to become immigrants because of the immigrants.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think for a moment that life in France is like the books written by Peter Mayle, because it ain't. France is a nice county but it, like the UK is far from being perfect. If you're retired with loads of cash and you have a nice yacht anchored in Antibes with a nice slim 20 year old blonde girlfriend to look at all day long, then yes it is nice but then THAT would be nice anywhere in the world.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

bordeaux_boy will become famous soon enoughbordeaux_boy will become famous soon enough

It's not just that... I prefer the culture and people. They're much more politer than us Brits. What with their "Bonjour, Merci, and S'il vous plaits" in practically every other sentence.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just that... I prefer the culture and people. They're much more politer than us Brits. What with their "Bonjour, Merci, and S'il vous plaits" in practically every other sentence.
I don't know where you come from in the UK but around my area people were perfectly civil and they also say "Hello, Thank you, and Please" - you're gonna have to take off those rose tinted specticles

Last edited by le plumber; Nov 17th 2010 at 6:35 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:21 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Hilarious. Try living in Paris for a while. The level of respect, politeness and general concern for fellow citizens is absolutely minimal, with everyone working on the assumption that they have no personal responsibility for anything - the State is responsible for all. You will learn my friend.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:13 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

I think suggesting they are politer is incorrect, If your moving here because you believe they are a shock you will have later.

They stare "Lots" There is no such thing as a orderly queue "Free for all only" Every one of the drivers suffer from some sort of road rage "Im sure it's encouraged as a defence mechanism" It's not uncommon for a checkout person to chat to the last customer for 5 to 15 minutes "Rude in my Book"

I know this is within families which is less formal but a child here does not typically say can I have a drink please mummy/daddy all the average child says is "Boire".

Our three year old girl is at school and we noticed that she had started a little off, Yanking and pulling harshly and aim for her brothers neck. Then one day I was waiting in the school play ground and it came to my attention that the "school assistants" were getting the young children 2 to 4 to hold on to each others collars/hoods in a snake chain to cross the playground to the canteen. The result is now that when the children are playing outside they grab each other by the collar to drag each other about. "Again teaching rudeness in my book"

If it can be said in two words a somehow they will manage an 20 minute conversation on the subject.

Also if your planning on working here, You will discover that the job market is very cut throat and can appear quite rude to a newcomer. After you have sent out 200 CV's and only had 2 or 3 responses you will see what I mean.

The picture we build up in our mind rarely represents a country, I enjoy the day to day challenges life throws at us here but I take it all with a pinch of salt and never take it personally.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Nov 18th 2010 at 11:33 am.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:23 am

Well said. There is a lot to love about France but the politeness of people is certainly not one of them. In fact its the absolute number 1 reason why my wife has had enough and wants us to move back to UK. Im like you though Ka Ora, I don't take it too seriously or let it get to me. In fact I'm quite a grumpy rude git sometimes so it kind of suits me if we are all gonna treat each other like shit. Push me on the train, I'll push you back. Barge in front of me in a queue and 2 minutes later I'll barge back in front of you and step on your foot etc etc.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice
Smile Re: Anyone else dismayed at the state of Briton?

I think rural France must be nearer to the french dream. Cities are just cities with no time for politeness be it London or Paris Leeds or Lyon..
Ka Ora, The check out girl talking for 5 minutes is not being rude its just that you are impatient and selfish but as you say, you never take things personally.
I expect the person she was talking to didn't think she was being rude.

I am with the dreamer Bordeaux boy because I don't watch French TV or follow French politics, but I do read the Daily Mail.
I just don't want any reality checks thank you very much
Ignorance is bliss.

Drat! my tax Fonciere is due again
Old Nov 18th 2010, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Paris is Paris. Paris is a big, international city like all other big international cities. City folks are naturally more hardened. Don't judge France and French people based solely on Paris and Parisiennes.

Ka Ora:

What do you mean they stare lots?

Your attempts to disparage the french are hilarious. All a typical French child says when he/she wants a drink is "boire"? Hahah... I imagine so, if the child is very young. Everything you say about the French, I could throw it back at you and say the English do the same, or even worse. Do you have any idea how rude and out of control young people in this country are? Do you know foreign teachers when coming to teach in London are shocked at the rudeness and total lack of respect youngsters here have?

Children holding onto each other's hoods or hems or collars to collectively make their way from one place to another is perfectly normal. I am surprised you characterise it as "teaching rudeness". What you on about? It's normal behaviour. I see it in the roads here, primary school kids holding onto each other accompanied by their teachers. Yes, in a "snake-like chain". So what. Teaching rudeness? Ridiculous.

The job market is tough all over the world. It's not just there. There's a recession going on.

Stop thinking you are better than those Frenchies there.

Herman:

Why are you in Paris? Go to the South of France, or Bordeaux. Paris will eat you alive.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 4:39 pm

Paris is Paris. Paris is a big, international city like all other big international cities. City folks are naturally more hardened. Don't judge France and French people based solely on Paris and Parisiennes.

Ka Ora:

What do you mean they stare lots?

Your attempts to disparage the french are hilarious. All a typical French child says when he/she wants a drink is "boire"? Hahah... I imagine so, if the child is very young. Everything you say about the French, I could throw it back at you and say the English do the same, or even worse. Do you have any idea how rude and out of control young people in this country are? Do you know foreign teachers when coming to teach in London are shocked at the rudeness and total lack of respect youngsters here have?

Children holding onto each other's hoods or hems or collars to collectively make their way from one place to another is perfectly normal. I am surprised you characterise it as "teaching rudeness". What you on about? It's normal behaviour. I see it in the roads here, primary school kids holding onto each other accompanied by their teachers. Yes, in a "snake-like chain". So what. Teaching rudeness? Ridiculous.

The job market is tough all over the world. It's not just there. There's a recession going on.

Stop thinking you are better than those Frenchies there.

Herman:

Why are you in Paris? Go to the South of France, or Bordeaux. Paris will eat you alive.
Great Britain's problem is the mainstrean attitude to alcohol, Political Correctness, And this dumbfound approach to believing everything that the media throws out the box. Children take on the values that society and their parents and the media mold into them, You tell children long enough that they are yob like and unruly they will adapt to that persona.

I dont admit to being better than anyone, On the contrary im aware of my faults and the slight indiscretions I have made on the way.

I didn't mean the Job Market was tough due to the lack of work, I was referring to the manner in which applications for employment and the candidate are dealt with.

The normal thing to do with children is to encourage them to hold hands and walk in pairs, You see it in lots of other schools within towns where the canteen is not within the school.

I will leave it at,

With your distain'ed opinion of Briton and rose tinted view of France I would be inclined to ask how long you have spent here taking in it's subtle differences.

I have traveled a lot around the world and I cant really say that one country was overly politer than other.

The way of life healthier eating habits, Less people and buying our home outright brought us here.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Nov 18th 2010 at 5:32 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

I think if bordeaux boy had seen the hundreds of helpful postings you have made on here he may not have been quite as judgemental.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by wetwang
I think if bordeaux boy had seen the hundreds of helpful postings you have made on here he may not have been quite as judgemental.
A couple of them might be helpful, If you sift out the Sneaky Spam I have managed to post
Old Nov 20th 2010, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Finally noticed that this post exists!

on the politeness front I was at the impots last week and the lady there commented she thought the english were much politer than the french; my response was that if you are polite to people, the majority are polite back! I have never had an awful neighbour largely cos I make the effort to be polite!

I agree the uk has a problem with alcohol, but the french have other issues; the whiff of wacky baccy that surrounds the youth at village events is not in my imagination!

Overall I agree with Ka Ora! I have lived in various places over the last 25 years; on the whole life is pretty much the same no matter where I have lived; unless you are stinkingly rich this will hold true! Monday to friday I could be on the moon for the difference it makes to my life.

At the end of the day, I believe that my kids are less 'advanced' than they would be in the uk and are as polite. They are more likely to smoke. I find the french very direct and irritatingly keen to tell you where you are going wrong in life at times. However they are also unfailingly kind once friendships are established.

Ka Ora has a lot of useful advice to offer that is usually very sound; especially on how to remove rose tinted specs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.