Reload this Page >

Anybody live in Cherbourg?

Anybody live in Cherbourg?

Old Aug 21st 2011, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Robster1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anybody live in Cherbourg?

Hi all,

I'm about to start a 2 year secondment with my work in Normandy and am thinking I'd like to live in the biggest town near where my work will be which is Cherbourg.

I'm a little bit nervous as I'm coming by myself but am much more excited about doing something different. I'm also under no illusions- it's not going to be all roses and at times I'm sure really difficult.

I visited the town not long ago and figure it makes sense living in the biggest town where there's a bit of life. Is there much of an expat community in Cherbourg? I know Normandy is very popular due to its proximity to the UK (and that it's very picturesque!).

Coming by myself, I know it's important to try and meet people (French and expat). I'm sport daft so things like football and tennis would be good!

Anybody got any news or views on Cherbourg itself??

Thanks, Robster
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody live in Cherbourg?

Originally Posted by Robster1978
Hi all,

I'm about to start a 2 year secondment with my work in Normandy and am thinking I'd like to live in the biggest town near where my work will be which is Cherbourg.

I'm a little bit nervous as I'm coming by myself but am much more excited about doing something different. I'm also under no illusions- it's not going to be all roses and at times I'm sure really difficult.

I visited the town not long ago and figure it makes sense living in the biggest town where there's a bit of life. Is there much of an expat community in Cherbourg? I know Normandy is very popular due to its proximity to the UK (and that it's very picturesque!).

Coming by myself, I know it's important to try and meet people (French and expat). I'm sport daft so things like football and tennis would be good!

Thanks, Robster
Hi, Robster

We have one member (val50) who lives in Carentan and I have a place in Isigny-sur-mer, both about a half hour from Cherbourg. I can't tell you much about Cherbourg itself, but at least in the summer there's a good deal happening. Nightlife? Dunno. Sport? There's a lower division football team and certainly opportunities to place tennis etc.

When does your 2 year secondment start?

Novo.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Actually move there next week (Thursday).

Induction at work then straight onto appartment hunting! I'm excited but a wee bit nervous too!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Actually move there next week (Thursday).

Induction at work then straight onto appartment hunting! I'm excited but a wee bit nervous too!
Perhaps no reply to your original post means that there are no members in Cherbourg.
Perhaps you need to consider all options.
If you are renting an apartment then you will need lots of paperwork and a french bank account.
Go onto some of the french bank sites and check out what documents they need.
Current bank statements; payslips to prove income and tax paid; birth certificate(s); passport etc etc.
You may need a guarantor or a letter from your employer.
Take every possible document you can think of - you will need them.
You employer can perhaps help with local advice.
Good luck for your adventure.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Hi
you can probably find a lot of local info here

http://www.cherbourg.maville.com/

and this one for flat hunting

http://www.seloger.com/annonces.htm?idtt=1

Note - a lot of French appartment rentals are NOT furnished so you need to select "meublé"
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks, Robster

Hi Robster, we have french friends who live in Cherbourg, and they love it. They work close to Carentan but like you, felt there was more to do in a bigger town, especially as Cherbourg is still a very active Naval port. Not a big British expat community there though. Good night life, lots of sport facilities. There is a really nice pool just up from the ferry port at Équeurdreville-Hainneville. If I remember correctly, they also have a sailing club there. Bars are good, but most of the night clubs are just outside Cherbourg itself - the Aston on the N13 between Cherbourg and Carentan is a good place to meet people - so my daughter tells me! Good information office too - they can give you info on local community events. Send me a email if you need more info. Sure you're going to love it there.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help peeps,

Managed to open a bank account (took 2 hours!), and the advice given to bring EVERY bit of documentation available is indeed sound! The wee lady loved it when I'd produce another P60 or mortgage statement!

Think I've got a flat sorted too. It's a real shock to see how unfurnished they are! I have managed to get one that has an oven and feel very lucky indeed. I suppose they just do things differently here!

Still settling in (arrived Wednesday) but really like it so far. Saw the might AS Cherbourg last night (beaten 1-0 by 10 man Rouen), and think I'll do a bit of exploring of the area tomorrow. My work colleagues seem really cool, and think I'm going to join a windsurfing club which I'm really excited about.

Going to read the other threads about cars and TV/internet. Cheers, Robster