Reload this Page >

Any help with Titre de sejour?

Any help with Titre de sejour?

Old Dec 2nd 2021, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Lugar95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any help with Titre de sejour?

Hi there,

I have never posted to a forum like this and so have no idea how I should be formatting this post but I'm just gonna go ahead and post regardless as I could really use some help from someone who understands the topic.

So, I moved to France (Aix-en-Provence specifically) in September 2020 to be with my girlfriend who was doing a term for her master's at the Uni there. I lived there with her (though everything was in her name as she moved there before I) until around Feb/March this year when I moved back to the UK and her to Italy (as she is Italian).

Around August time I decided to apply for the permit that allowed me to stay in France based on being resident there before Jan 1st 2021. I applied on the notion that I am technically a student, but not at a university and not even at a French institution. I am currently doing an online vocational course which I did not start until August and so was not even doing this course when resident in France.

Ultimately my question is this. I have had an email about an appointment for the Titre de sejour that would require me to go back to Aix in order to do fingerprinting / documents in order to be granted the Titre. Since when I applied, the document said nothing about being a student at a French institution, I applied regardless, but deep down I felt and still feel like this was just being cheeky and that it's implied that I was studying at a French institution?
Would it be a waste of my time and money to head on over to Aix, hand them documents of an online vocational course (based in the UK) that I am enrolled in? Or do I actually have a chance of being granted the Titre?

If anyone could shed some light on this for me it would be much appreciated, and if I have not provided enough information please do let me know as I am willing to answer questions about the situation that I may have foolishly left out.

Once again thank in advance for any advice,

Kind Regards,
Luke
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any help with Titre de sejour?

Hi
Exactly which documents have they asked you to bring with you?

Old Dec 3rd 2021, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lugar. When you applied what sort of paperwork did you submit and what did the email require you to bring? If you can't provide the right evidence they require, you could be wasting your time and might even land yourself in hot water if a residency claim is made under false pretenses.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 7:37 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lugar95
Hi there,

I have never posted to a forum like this and so have no idea how I should be formatting this post but I'm just gonna go ahead and post regardless as I could really use some help from someone who understands the topic.

So, I moved to France (Aix-en-Provence specifically) in September 2020 to be with my girlfriend who was doing a term for her master's at the Uni there. I lived there with her (though everything was in her name as she moved there before I) until around Feb/March this year when I moved back to the UK and her to Italy (as she is Italian).

Around August time I decided to apply for the permit that allowed me to stay in France based on being resident there before Jan 1st 2021. I applied on the notion that I am technically a student, but not at a university and not even at a French institution. I am currently doing an online vocational course which I did not start until August and so was not even doing this course when resident in France.

Ultimately my question is this. I have had an email about an appointment for the Titre de sejour that would require me to go back to Aix in order to do fingerprinting / documents in order to be granted the Titre. Since when I applied, the document said nothing about being a student at a French institution, I applied regardless, but deep down I felt and still feel like this was just being cheeky and that it's implied that I was studying at a French institution?
Would it be a waste of my time and money to head on over to Aix, hand them documents of an online vocational course (based in the UK) that I am enrolled in? Or do I actually have a chance of being granted the Titre?

If anyone could shed some light on this for me it would be much appreciated, and if I have not provided enough information please do let me know as I am willing to answer questions about the situation that I may have foolishly left out.

Once again thank in advance for any advice,

Kind Regards,
Luke
A few thoughts occurred to me:
- If everything was in your gf's name, then what proof have you got that you were living in France before 1st Jan. 2021? Did she sign a Déclaration sur l'Honneur for your accommodation?
- Titres de Séjour are granted to those already here, who have complied with the conditions. Does Aix-en-P think you're still here and doesn't know that you returned to the UK?
- Don't you first need to acquire a Visa from the French Consulate if you want to return here? Some one in-the-know will come along with details on the rights given by a Student Visa, e.g. the possibility of acquiring a TdS later.
- IMO a UK on-line vocational course wouldn't be acceptable. Look for a course in France (wherever, since you have no ties), enrol, and then apply for a Student Visa.
Probably not much help, but it'll give you food for thought....
Good luck!

Old Dec 3rd 2021, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

You do not qualify for the TDS as you no longer live in France Just let them know that you no longer want the card or end up in hot water
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Ultimately I do not want to go and get in any trouble as I definitely did not mean to apply under false pretences. I applied based the the fact I was resident before the Jan 1st deadline and only left as I was unsure as to whether I could stay without being there illegally after the 90 day limitation. Though now I'm getting the feeling I could have stayed?

When I applied my girlfriend signed some form of document saying I was living with her and I sent off a copy of my enrolment letter for the course I am doing.

The email they sent to me asked I bring a passport, a photo that conforms to ID standards and a transcript/certificate of attendance for the current school year.

Like I said I don't want to waste anyone's time or get in trouble, but had I known I could have stayed in France I very well would have liked to.

Thanks again for the responses, I really appreciate them.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for your situation, until very recently it was so easy to live and move between countries, but of course that all came to a close, and we've been left with this pickle.
Unfortunately by studying in the UK it may have closed your doorway of opportunity, but if your heart really is in France, it's not impossible, but I think you'd need to plan and try another route.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 7:01 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I've found the following official site
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2231
which says, among other things, under "première année", that you must apply for a "visa de long séjour valant titre de séjour (VLS-TS) mention étudiant" (valid from 4 months to 1 year). You must be enrolled in a Higher Professional Training Establishment and justify the "availability" of at least 615€ per month.
Click on "après un an de séjour" and you'll find the conditions for continuing to remain in France.
How is your French, particularly in your line of study? Adequate to follow a professional training course in France?
P.S. I've just discovered that the site is available in English! (click on "français" button if necessary)

Old Dec 4th 2021, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I would go along and give them what documents you have and be completely upfront about your situation. Then it is up to them whether they issue a CdS or not. If they do, you won't feel you have gotten anything under false pretences. If they don't, it's because you are not entitled, and it sounds like you are prepared to accept this so no harm done.
My impression is that France is adopting a policy of being very flexible, and in borderline cases they tend to accept rather than reject applications. The withdrawal agreement specifically set out to minimise the disruption to people's lives as a result of Brexit and France seems to be going further than many countries in giving Brits the opportunity to stay and make their lives here if they show any signs of having started putting down roots, which arguably with a girlfriend here you have. So if you want to stay in, I would say you have everything to gain and nothing to lose by keeping the appointment. Good luck to you.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but the OP does not live in France is not studying at a french institution and his girlfriend is now living in Italy so he has no connection to France whatsoever so cannot get a TDS of any description If he really wants to move to France in the future the last thing he needs to do is blot his copybook now
Old Dec 4th 2021, 10:08 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

@ Lugar95 -
Another thought:
Even if you're double-vaccinated, you must, at present, still get a negative PCR test dated less than 48 hours before travelling to France, and comply with the rules when returning to the UK. In these Covid times, who knows how the French/UK regulations may change between now and your appointment (and afterwards)?
Sorry to be a Cassandra, but the Préfecture will realize that you're no longer resident in France and will likely reject your application. A potentially risky and expensive trip (and socially non-convivial if you haven't got the proper Covid-related documents), for nothing...
As suggested, apply to the French Consulate for a Visa of some sort which corresponds to your situation, and, once you've got it, go on from there on the spot.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Hi again everyone,

Thanks once again for all of the responses.

At this point I'm pretty sure that I am going to pull out of the appointment. As much as I'd love to get back to living in France, I do not want to risk potentially not being able to be there at all in the future. In that case I'm more than happy to wait until my situation is right and I can get in without any problems.

I do have a degree and so even though my French is pretty shoddy, at least if I apply to masters courses I'll find many in English, and I do plan on doing a masters course at some point. I'm sure I can use that when it comes to getting a visa for France!

So again, thanks to everyone who commented. As sad as a lot of it was to hear I really appreciate the help and honesty from you all!
Old Dec 4th 2021, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Yes but the OP does not live in France is not studying at a french institution and his girlfriend is now living in Italy so he has no connection to France whatsoever so cannot get a TDS of any description If he really wants to move to France in the future the last thing he needs to do is blot his copybook now
Ah, you are right. I hadn't taken in that his gf has gone back to Italy.
In the circumstances I think the correct thing to do would be to withdraw his application as his time in France has been interrupted and no obvious route to resuming his stay since his girlfriend is no longer there.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 1:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lugar95
Hi again everyone,

Thanks once again for all of the responses.

At this point I'm pretty sure that I am going to pull out of the appointment. As much as I'd love to get back to living in France, I do not want to risk potentially not being able to be there at all in the future. In that case I'm more than happy to wait until my situation is right and I can get in without any problems.

I do have a degree and so even though my French is pretty shoddy, at least if I apply to masters courses I'll find many in English, and I do plan on doing a masters course at some point. I'm sure I can use that when it comes to getting a visa for France!

So again, thanks to everyone who commented. As sad as a lot of it was to hear I really appreciate the help and honesty from you all!
Wise decision! Sorry that we couldn't be positive....
Good luck for the future!