Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Any ex UK Electricians here?

Any ex UK Electricians here?

Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

claret73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any ex UK Electricians here?

I'm now looking, after everything else that I have been chasing of trying to find electrical work in France. I'm an Electrician's Mate here in the UK & Subcontract on a self employed basis. I know there are a different set of Regulations, but am looking for some advice as to making the transition and move, plus the strenght of the Trade. Is it difficult accumulating work be it FT or Sub Contract. Have put some adverts on 'Angloinfo' but anywhere else I could look outside the 'Pole d'emploi'
Thanks.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any ex UK Electricians here?

As you say you are aware of the different regs, I will let that one rest....apart from the fact that you will probably need to sit an exam, in French, to stand any chance of finding employment or being allowed to trade as self-employed here. Your chances of success will be between slim, and none at all.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

I wasn't looking to go self employed. I'm self employed in UK purely as a means to getting paid, as companies have wised up to the freedom this gives them. So, I'd be looking to shadow another electrician or find sub contract in a company as I do here...
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:41 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claret73
I wasn't looking to go self employed. I'm self employed in UK purely as a means to getting paid, as companies have wised up to the freedom this gives them. So, I'd be looking to shadow another electrician or find sub contract in a company as I do here...
Hi, as mentioned, you'd have to prove that you've mastered the French standards and regulations. After which you'd have enormous competition from French electricians - the unemployment rate in France is very high, in all fields. In my neck of the woods, all the self-employed artisan electricians are diversifying and work alone, or at most with an Apprentice.
Sorry to discourage you, but fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, as mentioned, you'd have to prove that you've mastered the French standards and regulations
Thanks for the reply. Nice catch 22 there...I've had a couple of replies to wanted adverts that may lead to the ad-hoc approach of sub contract, which is better than zero here. I wasn't looking all Rose Tinted at this, there's so much competition here too with the Colleges & 5 week courses pumping out guys into an already saturated market. No difference anywhere I guess, just luck of the draw & openings you make for yourself...

'On Verra?'...
Old Aug 24th 2012, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Abyss-Rover is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that ex pats tend to trust English electricians, over French. Maybe targeting the ex pat community first would get you in the door?
Old Aug 24th 2012, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not planning on being self employed in France. The object would be to find a contractor to work alongside & then follow up with the French Regs.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not planning on being self employed in France. The object would be to find a contractor to work alongside & then follow up with the French Regs.
A spark is a spark, just like a plumber is a plumber and just like in plumbing, the French electrics aren't quite the same as in the UK. However, you're qualifications may be recognized - you just have to check with the local Chambre des Metiers, and even if they say "non" (which you'll find is very often in France), I'm sure you'd still find work because with your experience it won't be difficult to adapt got the French way of doing stuff.

Temping offices are good places to look, and if you're good, turn up on time etc etc then you'll always have work. Many employers, myself included use the temping offices to find permanent staff.
If you want to be sub contracted in the future look into being auto entrepreneur. Being in business in France is hard work and most of what you earn is repaid via tax and social security etc, but the AE scheme is simple and very cheap to run.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 1:29 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

I'm now looking, after everything else that I have been chasing of trying to find electrical work in France. I'm an Electrician's Mate here in the UK & Subcontract on a self employed basis. I know there are a different set of Regulations, but am looking for some advice as to making the transition and move, plus the strenght of the Trade. Is it difficult accumulating work be it FT or Sub Contract. Have put some adverts on 'Angloinfo' but anywhere else I could look outside the 'Pole d'emploi'
Thanks.
which region are you hoping to find work in?