Reload this Page >

Any advice on Troyes?

Any advice on Troyes?

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Sha709 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any advice on Troyes?

Hi

My family and I, currently living in Canada (we've been here for 2 1/2 years), may be moving to Troyes in the near future. I've looked on the Internet for information on Troyes, and have only found the usual tourist spiel which tells us something, but nothing terribly important such as schooling, are there better areas to live in (and not-so-good) and all the other important stuff.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Sharon
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any advice on Troyes?

Some very nice shopping ( Marque's Avenue , I think it's called ) , lovely scenery in every season ;
the local gourmet speciality is "andaulette" ( I think ) , it is strictly an acquired taste-thing - I never could grasp the attraction of it !
Sorry that I can't be of more help , every time I get to there-abouts , it is , regretfully : only as a ( passing ) tourist....
still : looks a real fine place , Lucky You !
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:49 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
Some very nice shopping ( Marque's Avenue , I think it's called ) , lovely scenery in every season ;
the local gourmet speciality is "andaulette" ( I think ) , it is strictly an acquired taste-thing - I never could grasp the attraction of it !
Sorry that I can't be of more help , every time I get to there-abouts , it is , regretfully : only as a ( passing ) tourist....
still : looks a real fine place , Lucky You !
They're "andouillettes" and I think they're frightful, although my OH likes them as long as they're well grilled.
Otherwise, sorry, I've never actually been to Troyes.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Funny, my OH loves Andouillete too and I can't even stand the smell of them! :-)
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Suki52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any advice on Troyes?

Hiya!

I'm French living in the UK but I was born in Troyes. We are actually considering returning to Troyes for good soon and I've been visiting the forum for a while.

If there is any specific question you need answering, feel free to ask!

Su
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suki52
Hiya!

I'm French living in the UK but I was born in Troyes. We are actually considering returning to Troyes for good soon and I've been visiting the forum for a while.

If there is any specific question you need answering, feel free to ask!

Su
Hi Su
welcome to the forum, great to have another newcomer join us
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Rhooo, thanks!!

Re the Andouillettes, I grew up surrounded by those as my Dad just loves that stuff and I'm sorry to say that I think they're disgusting...

Apart from that, Troyes is a nice place to live in: beautiful architecture, loads of shops (old and new), good schools and growing university, friendly people, nice location (1h30 from Paris, large lakes 30 minutes away, and champagne vineyards all over the departement) etc.. Job-wise, I'm not too sure. I suppose it is the same than everywhere else in France.

Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Suki52
Rhooo, thanks!!

Re the Andouillettes, I grew up surrounded by those as my Dad just loves that stuff and I'm sorry to say that I think they're disgusting...

Apart from that, Troyes is a nice place to live in: beautiful architecture, loads of shops (old and new), good schools and growing university, friendly people, nice location (1h30 from Paris, large lakes 30 minutes away, and champagne vineyards all over the departement) etc.. Job-wise, I'm not too sure. I suppose it is the same than everywhere else in France.

Hi Su

Thanks for the offer of advice!

You mentioned the growing university, and that's why we're going there as my husband has been offered a position. Having 2 children who will be going to primary school and one to college and soon to lycee, I would like to live in a nice area (no ZI for example!) where my oldest doesn't have to travel too far an at the most can hop on a bus.

Just the usual really - are there good/bad areas in Troyes and the agglomoration, that sort of thing.

You're thinking of moving back? That sounds great!

Thanks
Sharon
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sharon!

It depends on your budget of course but the nice areas (famous for being lovely but a bit expensive) are:
- Saint-Julien-les-Villas (one of the areas of the factory outlets)
- Saint-André-les-Vergers
- Pont-Sainte-Marie (the other area for factory outlets)

Basically the southern areas... I have got a nice detailed map of Troyes and its surroundings, if you want.. I can send a scanned copy by private message if you're interested.

Troyes itself is also quite nice, and you could be surprised if you looked at some of the flats available in town. Sometimes you see the outside and you think it is old and battered, but once you're in, it is lovely and spacious. Personally I would prefer to buy/rent a house as there is so much available space around the city that it would be a shame not to use it!

Re the lycees, they are quite good, large and often offer a lot of activities. And the bus network is well developped in Troyes so your oldest should find it rather easy to get to them, especially if you decided to settle in the south of Troyes.

Area to avoid: La Chapelle Saint Luc.

If you have any question, feel free to ask!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Thank you, your information has been very helpful. I looked up the areas you mentioned, and see that La Chapelle St Luc is very near the airport (although I wonder why I can't find any flights that go there - is it a private airport?) so would be rather noisy.

My e-mail address is <Snip, not a good idea to post email address`s on an open forum, unless you collect spam. People can contact you by clicking on your user name.> if you wouldn't mind sending me the map.

As for Andouillette, apparently they can serve it with melted Chaource but I think Ill still pass. I can;t handle the smell of it, even with a delicious cheese.-

Last edited by jdr; Aug 9th 2008 at 6:26 am.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Hiya!

I won't have a chance to scan the map today as I'm about to rush out and won't be back until much later today. I will do this tonight or tomorrow and will send it via private message.

Re the airport, it is tiny. There is one private company who uses it but it is for private jets and costs an absolute fortune. Unfortunately the closest proper airport will be Paris Charles de Gaulle (Roissy) as there are no longer flights to Reims or Dijon.

When would you move there? Next year?

See ya!

Su