Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

antigenic test for UK return

antigenic test for UK return

Old Aug 13th 2021, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice
Default antigenic test for UK return

Going nearly mad trying to return to the UK from a French holiday. I thought I'd booked a PCR test at a French pharmacie, but it turns out it's antigenique. Is an antigenic test acceptable?

Gov.uk says:

The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.This could include tests such as:
  • a PCR test
  • a LAMP test
  • an antigen test, such as an LFD (lateral flow device) test
You must check with your test provider that the test meets the standards. You may not be able to travel if it does not.

So in my bad French I'm supposed to ask a small town pharmacie about ≥97% specificity????? The pharmacie showed me a sample certicate with EU banners and so on.

Life is becoming a nightmare.... Any thoughts/experience, please?
Old Aug 13th 2021, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: antigenic test for UK return

Easy to say I know but I would just do the test and present the certificate with a confident smile. I don't think anyone really understands UK rules. If you have an official looking piece of paper and you look confident I doubt anyone will challenge you. In the unlikely event that they do, tell them you asked the chemist and were assured it met the criteria. Probably all antigen tests meet those criteria because why any chemist offer tests that are considered unreliable when there are better ones available, I would be surprised if the EU had all round lower standards than the UK..
Let us know how you get on
Old Aug 19th 2021, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

jack_russell is an unknown quantity at this point

I am shortly going to face the same dilemma so was wondering if anyone had any experience of getting a PCR test in Nice. I understand that they do it at the airport, has anyone used that service, is it walk-in and how much does it costs.

Also, there is a company Eurofins which has several places in Nice. Again, how much does it cost and has anyone tried them.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice

The UK accepts an antigenique test, doable in many a French pharmacie - I paid E25 and got the results in 15 mins. The result came on an EU certificate. But for Day 2 in the UK, the UK insist on an expensive PCR test. The whole system is so riddled with inconsistencies... But we plebs must obey our masters.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Does anyone have a recommendation for a test facility somewhere on the route from Tours to the Eurotunnel to get a test before going into UK?
Old Aug 24th 2021, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Try here:

Covid tests
Old Aug 25th 2021, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Originally Posted by cyrian
Try here:

Covid tests
Thanks. Very useful. In other searches I found the Doctolib website which led me to a pharmacie nearby the hotel we will overnight at. On that site one can make an appointment for the test although they say one can walk in without.
Old Aug 25th 2021, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
Thanks. Very useful. In other searches I found the Doctolib website which led me to a pharmacie nearby the hotel we will overnight at. On that site one can make an appointment for the test although they say one can walk in without.
Did they quote you a price?
Old Aug 25th 2021, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

No. There is a cap at 25€ isn't there?
Old Aug 26th 2021, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Loch Ness is an unknown quantity at this point

Understand your predicament. I am going home to Scotland for the first time in 18 months and trying to find a test for day 2 arrival in Scotland and it's a nightmare. The Scottish governemnt refers you to a link for CTM (Corporate Management Travel) which seems to be for companies and not individuals. Have been trying for days to find out where to get this test and if it is a full PCR one or one self-administrated (will be getting a PCR before leaving France).